CBA credit card travel insurance via Covermore/Zurich

My brother and I (57, 58 no pre existing health issues) are planning around the world trip in 2024 including a transatlantic crossing on QM2. I have been reading the forums and note Aus Traveller mentioned researching credit card travel insurance last year and did a spread sheet. I'm sure there was also a post by someone on a longer cruise also offering a spreadsheet but others were having trouble downloading and there was an offer to email. Now I can't find it. 

I have read the PDS and emailed Covermore and it still seems a bit too good to be true compared to the cost of stand alone travel insurance policy for a 3 month trip including USA. Am I missing something, does anyone have first hand experience to share? (CBA Platinum Awards card currently $249pa)

There is a cruise extras upgrade but the wording is "As well as the cover we provided you under Overseas Medical and Overseas Travel Policy for cruising, the cardholder can pay to upgrade......" Benefits of the upgrade are not important to us. The other weasel words are general exclusion 28 where they will not pay for claims caused by epidemics/pandemics/contagious disease outbreak EXCEPT overseas emergency medical and hospital expenses if you test positive to covid-19 AND destination was not subject to do not travel warning AND you were not travelling on a multi night cruise at the time of testing positive to covid-19. My main fear, although highly unlikely, is being evacuated by helicopter or something back to USA infamous health system and guessing this would be excluded if we test positive to covid-19 regardless of reason for evacuation.

Any feedback appreciated.

thanks, Janelle

Edited by jaybee1965
add forum post

23 minutes ago, jaybee1965 said:

found the post "Credit Card Travel Insurance - Allianz" and Ozwoody spreadsheets in Princess World Cruise roll call

Hi jaybee

Did the Excel file you found have ABF and 1cover at the bottom?

And a Word file called "Evaluation Of Credit Card Travel Insurance" with it?

If not they are not the latest version of my files.

If they are the write ones, I hope you find them useful.

If you have trouble opening them let me know on the e-mail at the bottom of my signature.

Regards John

Thanks John, yes I have the correct ones, much appreciated. My reading of the CBA looks like nothing pandemic or contagious will be covered on a multi day cruise (although I tried arguing it's a crossing on an ocean liner rather than a cruise!) so I guess I'm weighing up the likelihood of needing evacuation for that rather than some unforseen emergency. We're both fully vaccinated and generally healthy, and who knows what the rules will be in another 12 months. Anyone know of a list of things cruise ships will mandatory evacuate you for - I read somewhere about a TIA(stroke) but the person was actually only dehydrated..

On 4/29/2023 at 3:33 PM, jaybee1965 said:

Thanks John, yes I have the correct ones, much appreciated. My reading of the CBA looks like nothing pandemic or contagious will be covered on a multi day cruise (although I tried arguing it's a crossing on an ocean liner rather than a cruise!) so I guess I'm weighing up the likelihood of needing evacuation for that rather than some unforeseen emergency. We're both fully vaccinated and generally healthy, and who knows what the rules will be in another 12 months. Anyone know of a list of things cruise ships will mandatory evacuate you for - I read somewhere about a TIA(stroke) but the person was actually only dehydrated..

I was hoping someone with better knowledge in emergency Evacuations, would pop up with some definite input into your question, but looks like their like me, no actual facts to quote.

But from what I have gathered trying like you to get a idea of what is the official position, it would seem that if it is a life threatening situation, they evac you off the ship, and present you a bill, which if your not insured for it, you are liable for the costs, and they can be in the 100,000's dollars. 

That sort of money would make my eyeballs click.😵

Best of luck in you research.

Regards John.

Thanks again John, maybe this post will help anyone else looking at travel insurance. At this stage I'm inclined to go with the credit card insurance and perhaps keep an eye out for an additional cruise evacuation policy for the QM2 crossing closer to the time. The general exclusion re contagious diseases other than covid19 is also a bit off putting but I guess I'm overthinking potential disaster and "life threatening" is always going to be subjective to the medical experts at the time.

Travel well everyone.

Janelle