Alaskan King Crab

mark&donna

Ok. Now that we have our tours figured out Brooks Falls, Anan Bay, Car rental in Skgway. How can you go to Alaska and not eat crab. We will be Anchorage and Seward. Any ideas. Looks like the crab pot in Seward might be ok. Any places on the docks that cook them? Being from Boston we like lobster but don't go to tourist rest. Way to Expensive.

Lots of local places have crab on the menu throughout Anchorage. Here in Anchorage we've enjoyed the "bucket of crab" at Sea Galley on C street in midtown plus excellent meals at Simon and Seaforts, Ristorante Orso, and Glacier Brewhouse (but to name a few) in downtown Anchorage.

For more on Anchorage, the municipality has a great website at http://www.anchorage.net

Hello:

I concur with the above.

I was told (as I was getting on the plane leaving) :.( that the Sea Galley on C street was a good place to go for crab. Oh vell, next trip back.

I also went King Crabing when I was in Anchorage last time and I went to two places: The Glacier Brewhouse and Humpies.

My personal (biased) (highly subjective) opinion was that the crab at Humpies was better. They also had a special one day for a bucket of crab. I would of probably been sick for about a year so I'm glad that I missed it.

I went to Humpies twice for crab that trip. The first time, I only had 1 crab leg but it was beautiful. It was just about the length of my arm. I would of taken a picture of it if I had my camera with me. The second time I had a leg that was a little smaller but it was still bigger than anything I could get in Conservinnati.

I'm kind of curious on your trip. Are you camping at Anan Bay or taking the plane in? I've been playing around for the last couple of years of trying to go independent but I figure it's not worth the hassle. I found an outfit that does a 2 night kayak trip out of Juneau and will probably end of doing it within a couple of years or so.

Brooks Falls also looks interesting but it's a little out of my budget. I found a trip that did 7 days backpacking in the area with one day spent at Brooks Falls but unfortunately they decided to discontinue that trip. There are other possibilities but ...

Good luck and happy crabbing.

Rogue

Ok. Now that we have our tours figured out Brooks Falls, Anan Bay, Car rental in Skgway. How can you go to Alaska and not eat crab. We will be Anchorage and Seward. Any ideas. Looks like the crab pot in Seward might be ok. Any places on the docks that cook them? Being from Boston we like lobster but don't go to tourist rest. Way to Expensive.

Be prepared for Brooks Falls being VERY crowded. You wait to go to the platforms, spend no more than 30 minutes, then go to the back of the line again. We went one year and said NEVER again. For the price of the trips, there are definitely better bear viewing opportunities.

I love crab and wish we had a Red Lobster (and Olive Garden) in Anch. Most Alaskan King Crab is caught in November in the Bering Sea. They are usually processed on the boat and delivered frozen. In SE Alaska, fish and game has small openers here and there, so you would have a better chance on fresh if your heading that way. The only way you'll know it's actually fresh is to see it in an aquarium or being unloaded off a boat..

The Crabpot in Seward does offer live crab and you can have your picture taken with it before you devour. They are only open during the busy summer and I haven't taken a time out to eat there yet, but have heard it's spendy with mixed reviews.

Thanks Chenega and Rogue bkpkr. The Sea gallery sounds great.

We are using Southeast Aviation for Anan Bay.

Buckey Crab on the ship would be a plus.

Greatam thank you. I realise brooks falls may be crowed. But my time constrait is my prblem only 3 days pre cruise leaves out Denali. Hallo Bay was my first choice but that requires overnight in Homer. Which would cut into our time also. Looking foward to a nice leisurly drive to Seward from Anc. Stopping along the way. Next trip I'm planning an overnite at Hallo Bay.

Glacierlady I'm with you being from Boston no Red Lobster & Olive Garden is a long ride. I watch the commecials and drool. We useally just buy them at a fish store and cook them at home. I thought the crabpot in Serward might be pricy.

Hello:

I concur with the above.

I was told (as I was getting on the plane leaving) :.( that the Sea Galley on C street was a good place to go for crab. Oh vell, next trip back.

I also went King Crabing when I was in Anchorage last time and I went to two places: The Glacier Brewhouse and Humpies.

My personal (biased) (highly subjective) opinion was that the crab at Humpies was better. They also had a special one day for a bucket of crab. I would of probably been sick for about a year so I'm glad that I missed it.

I went to Humpies twice for crab that trip. The first time, I only had 1 crab leg but it was beautiful. It was just about the length of my arm. I would of taken a picture of it if I had my camera with me. The second time I had a leg that was a little smaller but it was still bigger than anything I could get in Conservinnati.

I'm kind of curious on your trip. Are you camping at Anan Bay or taking the plane in? I've been playing around for the last couple of years of trying to go independent but I figure it's not worth the hassle. I found an outfit that does a 2 night kayak trip out of Juneau and will probably end of doing it within a couple of years or so.

Brooks Falls also looks interesting but it's a little out of my budget. I found a trip that did 7 days backpacking in the area with one day spent at Brooks Falls but unfortunately they decided to discontinue that trip. There are other possibilities but ...

Good luck and happy crabbing.

Rogue

Speaking of Conservinnati...my wife Graduated from the College Conservatory of Music at UC. She says the Bearcats got robbed by the NCAA...LOL

Archived