Live Report- Norwegian Star May 11th-21st 2023. Is this my last time on a small ship?

Last night - boarding day- after settling in our room and unpacking we went for dinner at Cagneys. We thought as the sail out was underway, we could at least be served the bottle of wine we had been given, complimentary, as part of my latitudes reward. This should tide us over until the ship was serving alcohol again. Alas! This was not to be! We were refused any wine, complimentary or otherwise, so my special birthday meal with friends was a dry one! 

I felt like postponing the meal until we could enjoy it properly with a toast but after we had sat down, I didn’t feel like spoiling the evening. I have to say though the lack of a proper wine with the food was disappointing and spoiled it for us. 

Why NCL are not serving alcohol in UK ports is a mystery to me as UK customs have not stopped any of the other cruise lines from this! I will definitely ask this question while onboard as I suspect this will happen again in Belfast.

Then, I will be prepared, with wine we can serve ourselves in our room! If I had any warning this was going to happen I would have done that for yesterday.

As it was, we had Heineken Zero and Virgin mojitos. 

After the meal, we walked from bar to bar but failed to find four seats together in any venue! We ended up in O’Sheehan’s bar & grill and enjoyed the flow of wines, cocktails and bubbles.  Having reached 12 nautical miles away from UK the ban was lifted!

The staff in O’Sheehans worked hard and were serving constantly, even though the place was full. 

IMG_2363.jpeg

IMG_8643.jpeg

• Like 1

Also, last night I bumped into the sister of my childhood ‘best friend’. It was a pleasant surprise to see her and she told me it was her first cruise. Unfortunately, soon after boarding she slipped and fell on the deck outside and had to go to Medical Centre. She got thorough attention and was X-rayed too but luckily her finger wasn’t broken. Not the best start, but hopefully she will soon fall again, but this time, in love with cruising!

IMG_8688.jpeg

• Like 1

22 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

I hope that terrible 5 AM habit goes away for you too! We wake at 5. First it was my job, then I quit that abhorrent place. But, my husband decided to get a job that required him to wake up at 5, so we're back on the 5 AM schedule. It follows us on vacation too! 

I didn’t break my usual 5am habit last night-unfortunately lay awake from then! It was not helped at all by our air conditioning that was broken. It could either be set to freezing cold or boiling hot but no in between. On returning to an ice cave after last night we wacked it up to hot. This resulted in us waking up inside an oven! So again, I fiddled in vain with the unit, to reset it and Mr CT got out of bed and also tried but also failed. So, we ended up setting back to icicle mode! 

I reported this to the customer service desk, who were really helpful and a friendly young man called Kenneth assured me he would report it to the relevant technician. Only a few hours later the technician came and declared it broken and promised to fit a new replacement. Great service!

• Like 2

This morning we popped into the ‘Wine’s Around the World exclusive ‘Platinum and above’ event. As it was held at 11am, a little early for too much consumption, we went very light on our tasting. We enjoyed the event.

IMG_8650.jpeg

IMG_8645.jpeg

IMG_8647.jpeg

Next we went to the Meet & Greet even organised by @ziggyuk. I offered to help pass around raffle tickets and with the raffle itself at the end of the meeting. 

Ziggy had organised a fabulous meeting with the help of David Cruise Next Manager.

Also, we were glad to be addressed by senior officer, General Manager Anthony who welcomed us as one of the largest meet and Greet groups in a while! I gave out 80 raffle tickets but I think a few more were there as the numbers looked larger than that. Anthony said we were going to visit different ports and this was exciting. He introduced David and, he in turn told us about tendering and not needing to have a tender ticket if Latitudes status was gold or higher. Also, no need if on an organised NCL excursion. 

He opened the floor for questions and a few members of the group asked about tendering numbers and timings. Also, about a very small port in Norway that is allowing this ship to go to. Lastly a question about why we couldn’t drink alcohol last night. “He said the instruction from the port agents in U.K. had said they denied liquor to be served, and he wasn’t sure how they were going to fix it. He said rumours were circulating that it was the ships fault and not the country, but port agents rules had to be followed. He was asked how much notice they had and he said ‘2 days notice’. He was asked if it affected Belfast and he said “It does not affect Belfast!” There was a lot of relieved laughter. “They are not taking the liquor away from Belfast!” Even more laughter. Then he added, “at least, today we don’t. We don’t know!” 

It left some wondering how, as a U.K. port, Belfast would not be guided by the same port authority rules. As other shops are not reporting the same ban, it has left me wondering if there is some administrative paperwork that needs signing or payment that needs to be paid, and hopefully by the time we get to Belfast this may be done. Also, I just wish that when they knew there would be no alcohol allowed that they passed this Information on to us. 

IMG_8652.jpeg

IMG_8653.jpeg

IMG_8651.jpeg

Lastly, we did the raffle. There was a good selection of different prizes kindly donated from as far as Alabama, Norway and Southampton. The disco ball on a string caused amusement, and I was appalled to part with the gorgeous Coronation teddy bear! Ziggy had to drag him out of my hands to award him to the rightful winner! 😂

People feedback that they had enjoyed the meeting and had fun. @ziggyuk declared he wasn’t comfortable with public speaking but he did a sterling job and if he hadn’t stepped up to the challenge it may never have happened. Thank you!

IMG_2376.jpeg

IMG_2366.jpeg

IMG_2380.jpeg

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, ConnieTact said:

I didn’t break my usual 5am habit last night-unfortunately lay awake from then! It was not helped at all by our air conditioning that was broken. It could either be set to freezing cold or boiling hot but no in between. On returning to an ice cave after last night we wacked it up to hot. This resulted in us waking up inside an oven! So again, I fiddled in vain with the unit, to reset it and Mr CT got out of bed and also tried but also failed. So, we ended up setting back to icicle mode! 

I reported this to the customer service desk, who were really helpful and a friendly young man called Kenneth assured me he would report it to the relevant technician. Only a few hours later the technician came and declared it broken and promised to fit a new replacement. Great service!

Great service! So glad it worked for you. I think back to my March cruise. Three trips to the concierge. Three "reports" of the A/C not working properly. Well, I'm very glad they took care of you! Personally, "ice cave" setting sounds perfect for me, though I know it's not what everyone would like. 

Also, I hope you can enjoy all the booze you can drink from here on out! Sorry NCL decided not to pay so you could properly enjoy your birthday. 

• Like 1

I just noticed this old post doesn’t seem to have listed- it was about our cabin -

Got obscured ocean view cabin 8062 and generally happy with it and the view. Getting in or on the bed has an obstacle both sides though- fold down bunk bed on the right and table corner on the left! 
Just a question of where we want our bruises! 😅😂

IMG_8625.jpeg

IMG_8626.jpeg

IMG_8624.jpeg

IMG_8630.jpeg

IMG_8634.jpeg

IMG_8628.jpeg

• Like 3

We enjoyed lunch in the main dining room and received great service. I filled out one of the little feedback cards to praise the server for being responsive to my needs. He discretely asked if he could get me anything when he noticed I’d not eaten much of my dish. He then quickly swapped my main to another dish, with no fuss. 

IMG_8657.jpeg

IMG_8659.jpeg

• Like 1

Alcohol issue, 2 days notice means they did not communicate with the Dawn that had the same issue when it left on the 4th.

I suspect they are just making things up so they don't have to say the real reason.

Our sideways  inside has the non recessed bunk on one side as well, the desk is angled.

We had two housekeeping issues with our cabin, resolved quickly no further action required.

Our standard requests also sorted quickly, bar soap, extra towels(we sometimes don't have service), robes, hot water machine(coffeemaker not kettle).

Today is tender they had 6 in the water at 7:20 waiting for clearance, seem to be calling the numbers quite quickly.

• Like 2

We rested in the afternoon and watched a film on TV. There are some good films for freebies but are on at set times. 

Then we got ready and went to the show. It was an ‘Adele’ tribute and was performed by Chloe Barry who said she was from UK’s Birmingham. The show was of top standard and Chloe’s voice was amazing. She came across as genuinely friendly and warm. We thoroughly enjoyed it and will return to see her again in a different show that is planned. 
We sat in the front row and found the dry ice machine a bit much - how Chloe can sing with that stuff engolfing her, I really don’t know! 
One not so good thing was, the bar service in the theatre let Mr CT down. I was brought my drink but the server forget the other wine. He said he’s bring it but the show had started and it never came. This was really annoying- especially after the night before’s lack off alcohol! I couldn’t believe it! 
IMG_8696.thumb.jpeg.3097520aaf08ba51b0687f9c28fd0395.jpeg

IMG_8692.jpeg

IMG_8694.jpeg

Next, we decided to try another, smaller, complimentary restaurant, Aqua. We were shown to rather unimpressive tables at the side of the restaurant and the sun was low and it was very bright in there. Some were complaining it was too bright but Mr CT basked in a face full of sun while he enjoyed his first large red wine of the evening! 
We ordered three mains between us. For those new to NCL, this is fine to do. Order whatever you want, in the quantity you desire. 
We enjoyed the food but unless there was a particular reason for us to go to Aqua, such as we were eating late (Aqua closes at the later time of 10pm), I think we would stick with Versailles as it is a beautiful venue. 

IMG_8702.jpeg

IMG_8703.jpeg

IMG_8704.jpeg

• Like 3

We finished our evening by going to the Bliss lounge to check out the Excell Band. They were Excellent! They played and sang very well.
We caught the last of their, first set but enjoyed the ‘dance through the decades’ set in its entirety. We danced and had great fun bad the styles of music and dance changed. 

The drinks service was good in the Bliss lounge.

IMG_8713.jpeg

IMG_8710.jpeg

IMG_8711.jpeg

Thank you for live update.

It really informative, we are on the next  two sailings after yours.

This may seem like a strange question, but did I notice a kettle in your room on one of your cabin photos?

You know what English people are ;like for there tea.

• Like 1

You beat me to it @insidecabin thanks!

the tendering started at 7.30 and all priority access (Latitudes gold and above) could disembark alongside those with tender tickets number 1. By 8am tender tickets 10 and 11 were called. By 8.35, (as I type!), they just called group 14.

I hope this helps some to plan.

The last tender back to the ship is 8pm.

I will report back what the experience is like.

For now, I’ll enjoy my cup of tea in the cabin and wait for all the eager beavers to disembark ahead of us! 

1EEEBF32-5908-4F12-BF48-B035A5548541.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Algie21 said:

Thank you for live update.

It really informative, we are on the next  two sailings after yours.

This may seem like a strange question, but did I notice a kettle in your room on one of your cabin photos?

You know what English people are ;like for there tea.

Well, I always bring my own little travel kettle, mug and tea bags! I enjoy my ‘Lady Grey’ tea black so I am self sufficient that way. Officially this is not allowed, and I do pack it away when I leave the cabin. 
My friends onboard, asked for a coffee maker and they received it. This may be fine for most but I am particular and don’t like to have hot water that has run through a machine where coffee has been! I don’t like coffee and sometimes I haven’t liked the coffeemaker machines provided. If one has tea with milk, and sugar, they may well be happy with the machine. It’s just for me, with a delicately flavoured tea, it is best to have good water.
I hope this answers you question. Maybe someone else on this sailing, can upload a picture of their coffee machine and give information if any extras are provided, eg teabags or coffee and creamers?

2 minutes ago, Algie21 said:

Thank you Connie.

I know what you mean about the coffee maker, its not the same.

I hope you are enjoying your cruise and keep us updated with your post.

Have Fun

Thanks @Algie21 Let me know if you want me to check anything out for you and I’ll do my best!

5 hours ago, ConnieTact said:

Well, I always bring my own little travel kettle, mug and tea bags! I enjoy my ‘Lady Grey’ tea black so I am self sufficient that way. Officially this is not allowed, and I do pack it away when I leave the cabin. 
My friends onboard, asked for a coffee maker and they received it. This may be fine for most but I am particular and don’t like to have hot water that has run through a machine where coffee has been! I don’t like coffee and sometimes I haven’t liked the coffeemaker machines provided. If one has tea with milk, and sugar, they may well be happy with the machine. It’s just for me, with a delicately flavoured tea, it is best to have good water.
I hope this answers you question. Maybe someone else on this sailing, can upload a picture of their coffee machine and give information if any extras are provided, eg teabags or coffee and creamers?

If you take the coffee holder out it's a straight water run in the machine we have been give no coffee residues

Run cup through to warm the cup and machine second cup of water  is ok.

They have put out some English breakfast standard Lipton can't make a tea.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Janevo said:

Really enjoying your review, thank you. We are on this cruise next week, so information about which ports are tender ports etc is very useful to know.

Have fun!

Thank you Janevo. 
We left the ship late around midday, got straight on tender and arrived ashore by 12.20! We also waited for 10 minutes for others to board. So a very short trip.

Here’s some snaps..

IMG_8733.jpeg

IMG_8734.jpeg

IMG_8735.jpeg

IMG_8738.jpeg

IMG_8740.jpeg

IMG_8807.jpeg

• Like 3

Ashort walk to the right if you want stairs or go to left if you want sloped pavement and you reach the top of the bay for the bus. There’s no taxi rank as such but they mostly pull in down by the left as coming off the tender boat. 
some people were having an ice cream and enjoying the view of the bay and there’s a good fish n chip shop there too. So worth going across just got that even!

IMG_8744.jpeg

IMG_8745.jpeg

IMG_8749.jpeg

IMG_8746.jpeg

IMG_8747.jpeg

IMG_8748.jpeg

IMG_8750.jpeg

IMG_8751.jpeg

• Like 6