Live Report- Norwegian Star May 11th-21st 2023. Is this my last time on a small ship?

Powerscourt was well worth the trip. We walked down the grand steps to the pond and then into the Japanese garden. It was spectacular and I loved every second. 
We ended with a pot of tea and cake in the outside terrace because the sun was shining!

the excursion was everything we had hoped for as it was easy but took us to a beautiful place. We know Dublin well and will be there in a few weeks so didn’t need to go ‘into town’.

IMG_8940.jpeg

IMG_8942.jpeg

IMG_8962.jpeg

IMG_8966.jpeg

IMG_8976.jpeg

IMG_8996.jpeg

IMG_9014.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 5/13/2023 at 4:54 PM, jennjess said:

Thanks for all this info, which of the museums or attractions would you recommend?  We only have a half day in Waterford next cruise so would like to make a bee line to the most worthwhile.

I recommend you get the Waterford pass, as you can get around all the four museums include and get a walking tour too. 
My friends went to Waterford Crystal tour & liked it. Also their fave was Bishops palace. Mr CT loved the museum of Time and here are some pictures of that. Yes- he even took photos of the toilet! 😂IMG_2384.thumb.jpeg.3857ea480b14469fea55aef88e94f4ba.jpeg

IMG_2391.jpeg

IMG_2387.jpeg

IMG_2386.jpeg

IMG_2385.jpeg

IMG_2389.jpeg

IMG_2388.jpeg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ConnieTact said:

I recommend you get the Waterford pass, as you can get around all the four museums include and get a walking tour too. 
My friends went to Waterford Crystal tour & liked it. Also their fave was Bishops palace. Mr CT loved the museum of Time and here are some pictures of that. Yes- he even took photos of the toilet! 😂IMG_2384.thumb.jpeg.3857ea480b14469fea55aef88e94f4ba.jpeg

IMG_2391.jpeg

IMG_2387.jpeg

IMG_2386.jpeg

IMG_2385.jpeg

IMG_2389.jpeg

IMG_2388.jpeg

Thanks for the photos.  We will have very little time as the ship will not arrive until 1.30 and with tendering and travel into Waterford will have to pick one or two attractions before they close for the day.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, jennjess said:

Thanks for the photos.  We will have very little time as the ship will not arrive until 1.30 and with tendering and travel into Waterford will have to pick one or two attractions before they close for the day.

It depends what you like really. Vikings, Crystal, timepieces or a walking tour. It’s all so very close / only yards away from each other and all museums are small. 

23 minutes ago, ConnieTact said:

Front of queue now but have to wait for next tender as this one is full! It all seems well organised.

IMG_9050.jpeg

Just got on our tender after 23 minute wait. There are some benches if people can’t stand. 

• Like 1

Today, we are in Belfast and the announcement that the gangway was in place and disembarkation could commence came through at 7am.

We were told that there would be a shuttle into the centre of Belfast running every 15 minutes and service would start from 8.30 until 6pm.

the cost is 10. Yes, 10 in cash. Whatever you have! So £, € or $, and correct money as no change available. Pay the driver.

I have to say, as a person who likes to sleep, it was a relief not to keep hearing the announcements for tender ticket numbers! It does wear a bit thin after a late night! So I’ve decided for this reason I prefer docked port stops!IMG_9066.thumb.jpeg.6bdf3a188975f3d00f61746e7ee0a485.jpeg

The view out our obscured window today. 
Quite a change as it’s always been sea for days! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Back to yesterday. Last night we got back quite late so just dumped our stuff in the cabin and went to the main dining room for dinner. 
It was all delicious and the service was excellent,

IMG_9053.thumb.jpeg.715fb48970ec74ccb5583c36e7eec6e9.jpegIMG_9052.thumb.jpeg.472a2b18e8e20567c661472945a5518a.jpeg

the great thing about loading food photos as it doesn’t matter too much if they’re upside down!

IMG_9056.jpeg

IMG_9055.jpeg

IMG_9054.jpeg

• Like 1

We skipped dessert but had tea and coffee. I love tea from a pot and I asked for Earl Grey. The server came back to say there wasn’t any although the large supply they had was missing. I know there isn’t any at the buffet because I asked in the morning for some and a very kind server went down to deck 5 to get me some. 
I filled out a ‘Comment card’ and posted it at customer services as a thank you.

Mr CT had the foresight to have taken a couple of bags and put in his pocket so imagine my delight when he came to my rescue! 
It looks like I’ll need to carry my own Lady Grey around from now on as there must be a more than a few more Earl Grey drinkers aboard!

IMG_8886.thumb.jpeg.2fd8aa63feb8e49ce0cc50317a14d901.jpeg

16 hours ago, ConnieTact said:

IMG_2391.jpeg

IMG_2387.jpeg

IMG_2386.jpeg

IMG_2385.jpeg

IMG_2389.jpeg

IMG_2388.jpeg

Love the toilet decor!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ConnieTact said:

My friend just sent me this link of great old pub to visit in Belfast. It really looks amazing. 
https://www.belfastentries.com/places/crown/

I’m not sure if we will get there but I’ll try.

We got there at opening (been before) great place but filled up quickly.

Good for a tourist photo stop.

Had a beer but place is expensive.

3-4min walk there is probably the cheapest pub in town The Bridge House.

Another one we walked past near the shuttle stop that looked great we will go before return is Kelly's Celler.

No shortage of good pubs in Belfast.

For those reading for future trips there is a regular bus outside the port Al day ticket £6.50 not as regular but more flexible ticket also stops walking to Titanic quarter.

This link might work(moscow road to city hall

https://www.translink.co.uk/JourneyPlanner?OriginId=10002873&OriginName=Belfast Harbour%2C Moscow Road%2FHar Lag.&OriginType=Bus stop&DestinationId=10003999&DestinationName=Belfast%2C May Street [City Hall]&DestinationType=Bus stop&DepartureOrArrivalDate=2023-05-15T12:18:16&isSearchByDepartureDate=true&FindBusDepartures=true&FindTrainDepartures=true&HasStepFreeEnabled=false

On 5/13/2023 at 11:16 AM, ConnieTact said:

Then we stopped for delicious cake and tea outside in Bishops palace cafe. It is homemade in the premises and they cook daily and it was delicious!

This takes us up to date as I am still sitting there now as I write! 
Mr CT has gone to the museum of Time and, as a horologist, this is right up his street! I have opted for the easy option of resting, and waiting here for him. 
I can see the bus we plan to catch home from were I’m sitting. That is if Mr CT doesn’t get too engrossed at the museum and well….forget the time! 😜

IMG_8821.jpeg

IMG_8819.jpeg

Oh, that cake thing looks amazing! Please say it's a cream cheese type frosting. 🙂

1 hour ago, insidecabin said:

We got there at opening (been before) great place but filled up quickly.

Good for a tourist photo stop………..

For those reading for future trips there is a regular bus outside the port Al day ticket £6.50 not as regular but more flexible ticket also stops walking to Titanic quarter.

This link might work(moscow road to city hall

Thanks for adding this information- I’m sure others will find it helpful. 

27 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Oh, that cake thing looks amazing! Please say it's a cream cheese type frosting. 🙂

It was delicious! One of those I declared, “worth getting fat for!” 😜 I’m not sure if it was buttercream or that cream cheese frosting but it felt light and the sponge was so fresh. I was told they bake their cakes each day! 

• Thanks 1

Hello!! Thanks for your posts. I’m joining the Star on the following two cruises and it’s nice to see the ways you are getting around the ports on your own!

Are you able to confirm what currency the ship uses?

We had planned to go to Ulster museum and botanic gardens but slipped up on not noticing the museum is closed on a Monday! We still came to botanic garden anyway and weren’t disappointed. It felt so fresh to be walking  around the park after being in the shop. 
we saw squirrels that had been fed chips by passers by and birds sang to us through the walk! 
We went in the huge greenhouses that had been there since 1840, although restored in 1983. 
There was a good selection of plants but with many repeats. 

IMG_9079.jpeg

IMG_9078.jpeg

IMG_9084.jpeg

IMG_9093.jpeg

IMG_9099.jpeg

IMG_9100.jpeg

IMG_9103.jpeg

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, mlashae said:

Hello!! Thanks for your posts. I’m joining the Star on the following two cruises and it’s nice to see the ways you are getting around the ports on your own!

Are you able to confirm what currency the ship uses?

It’s US dollars. We haven’t needed to spend anything yet but have a credit card that does not charge for foreign currrncy.