£1 Deposit (UK) and Cancellation Terms

Ladyshopper23

Just had various emails about this offer on for the next few days. I'm struggling to interpret the cancellation rules in conjunction with this, as what I can find states that if you cancel with more than 91 days notice, then you lose your deposit. Does that mean you only lose £1, or does it mean you have to pay what you would have lost under normal circumstances with the usual deposit?

Wondering if anyone knows the answer before I give Princess a call to check. If it is genuinely only £1 you lose, I might make a couple of speculative bookings for next year, which I can then cancel in plenty of time if I can't get Avios reward flights to tie up.

23 minutes ago, david63 said:

If the deposit is £1 and it says that you lose the deposit that is all that you would lose. How would they be able to get more from you?

I know from reading horror stories on other travel groups that (for example) people have paid a low deposit with an agent to go to Florida, have needed to cancel, and have then been told that they need to pay the full deposit amount in order to cancel, as it's in the terms and conditions.

I wasn't sure if I was missing something in the terms and conditions for Princess, or if anyone had any actual experience. I don't mind losing £1 each deposit, I do mind then being on the hook for £150+ each!

1 hour ago, Ladyshopper23 said:

I know from reading horror stories on other travel groups that (for example) people have paid a low deposit with an agent

The key word there is "agent". What I believe happens in these circumstances is that the agent only asks for a small deposit even though they have to pay the full deposit - which is why the T&Cs state that upon cancellation you have to pay the "top up" deposit.

Booking this deal direct with Princess - or even through a TA should not present any problems. This is a Princess deal not a TA deal.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ladyshopper23 said:

Just had various emails about this offer on for the next few days. I'm struggling to interpret the cancellation rules in conjunction with this, as what I can find states that if you cancel with more than 91 days notice, then you lose your deposit. Does that mean you only lose £1, or does it mean you have to pay what you would have lost under normal circumstances with the usual deposit?

Wondering if anyone knows the answer before I give Princess a call to check. If it is genuinely only £1 you lose, I might make a couple of speculative bookings for next year, which I can then cancel in plenty of time if I can't get Avios reward flights to tie up.

I did this last year & only lost £1 when cancelling. I just booked another today under this promo & 50% off Princess plus fare. 

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, hobbsie65 said:

I did this last year & only lost £1 when cancelling. I just booked another today under this promo & 50% off Princess plus fare. 

That's good to know, thank you. Going to have a look at cruises we might want to book, then I'll give them a ring and double check it's just the £1 you lose if you cancel. The 50% off the Princess plus fare is really good, and will definitely save a fair bit of money.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Ladyshopper23 said:

That's good to know, thank you. Going to have a look at cruises we might want to book, then I'll give them a ring and double check it's just the £1 you lose if you cancel. The 50% off the Princess plus fare is really good, and will definitely save a fair bit of money.

Only just see your post Ladyshopper, don’t forget “BLC” offer, that can be used with the £1 deposit. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Pink-belle said:

Only just see your post Ladyshopper, don’t forget “BLC” offer, that can be used with the £1 deposit. 

I won't, but thank you for the reminder!

Great to see Princess on BLC, noticed a little while ago it had appeared. 🙂

3 hours ago, MRS TIGGYWINKLE said:

I booked a cruise yesterday with the £1 deposit offer and can confirm that it is simply the £1 that you would lose should you cancel before the 90 day full balance due period.  I too used the BLC offer so very happy !

Thank you. I've just phoned up and been told exactly the same, so have made 3 speculative bookings for next year!

Fingers crossed we can get some Avios flights to line up with the dates. 🙂

• 4 months later...

£1 deposit offers differ slightly, depending on who is promoting it.

If it is promoted by a single travel agent. Then you must carefully read their terms and conditions. As there would usually be a cancellation fee, similar to the cost of the full deposit. Therefore, only book, if you are definitely going on the cruise.

Saying that, if you should cancel, challenge them, if the fee was not made clear in the booking process.

I have twice cancelled under a £1 deposit offer and only lost the £1 and was not asked for any more money.

Princess Cruises £1 deposit is usually issued by Princess Cruises themselves and is usually a genuine £1 deposit offer.

What I do is use a spare account that I don't usually use and has little or no money (Spare Monzo or something) Use this to pay the £1 deposit. So no one can take any more money without my approval.

I am not advocating not paying money I am liable for. Just keeping control. Once they prove in writing that I owe them the money. And they have made clear, that I was informed of the relevant fees during the booking process, I will pay.

I have not yet paid more than the £1 for a cancellation. I like these offers. As when I am fully committed financially, I don't really want to pay £500 plus for my family of 5 in deposits, until I have finished paying off for other holidays. Plus it helps me secure family cabins up to 2 years in advance for only £5.

Hope this helps