Advice for LA Departure

Neil_c

Hi

Traveling in January 2024, we are arriving at LAX after 11 hour flight from London. we have 2 nights in hotel before departure from San Pedro cruise port. Looking for recommendation of hotel that is convenient for either sightseeing and/or port as this our 1st time in LA need help

TIA

Neil

1 hour ago, Neil_c said:

Hi

Traveling in January 2024, we are arriving at LAX after 11 hour flight from London. we have 2 nights in hotel before departure from San Pedro cruise port. Looking for recommendation of hotel that is convenient for either sightseeing and/or port as this our 1st time in LA need help

TIA

Neil

LAX is about a 30-45 min drive ( on a good day) to the Port Of Los Angeles ( San Pedro).  There are many fine hotels just outside the airport .  Some of those hotels will also offer tours of LA. The city of Long Beach is pretty close to San Pedro ( about a $15.00 ride share), and has lots of interesting restaurants .  Not much to do around San Pedro.  If you can find a day tour that goest to Hollywood Blvd ( touristy, but it's a must) and Beverly Hills ( again it's a must).  Look into a Hop On Hop Off tour of Hollywood or get a bus tour of Celebrity Homes.  LA proper is really big and takes more than 2 days to see.  I would NOT go to Downtown LA.  Just not safe.  Please beware of your valuables when walking in Hollywood.  Keep your purse in front, mens wallet in front pocket, and just shake your head NO when people ask for money. And by all means, do not step on any water puddles on the sidewalks ( its defiantly not rain water..if you know what I mean).

55 minutes ago, 9tee2Sea said:

LAX is about a 30-45 min drive ( on a good day) to the Port Of Los Angeles ( San Pedro).  There are many fine hotels just outside the airport .  Some of those hotels will also offer tours of LA. The city of Long Beach is pretty close to San Pedro ( about a $15.00 ride share), and has lots of interesting restaurants .  Not much to do around San Pedro.  If you can find a day tour that goest to Hollywood Blvd ( touristy, but it's a must) and Beverly Hills ( again it's a must).  Look into a Hop On Hop Off tour of Hollywood or get a bus tour of Celebrity Homes.  LA proper is really big and takes more than 2 days to see.  I would NOT go to Downtown LA.  Just not safe.  Please beware of your valuables when walking in Hollywood.  Keep your purse in front, mens wallet in front pocket, and just shake your head NO when people ask for money. And by all means, do not step on any water puddles on the sidewalks ( its defiantly not rain water..if you know what I mean).

Thanks 

3 hours ago, Neil_c said:

Traveling in January 2024, we are arriving at LAX after 11 hour flight from London. we have 2 nights in hotel before departure from San Pedro cruise port. Looking for recommendation of hotel that is convenient for either sightseeing and/or port as this our 1st time in LA need help.

I know it is a long day, but I'd bite the bullet and get a cab and stay at a hotel in Hollywood, near Hollywood & Highland (Loew's Hollywood Hotel, Magic Castle Suites, Hilton Garden Inn, etc).

If you are coming into the international terminal there is a taxi stand inside Parking Structure 3 between Tom Bradley International Terminal (Terminal B) and Terminal 3.

Next to the Chinese Theater (Hollywood Blvd & Highland Ave) is where a lot of LA tours originate and from that area you can walk to lots of sights.

I embarked on a cruise out of LA last month.  We stayed 2 nights in the Holiday Inn LAX prior to the cruise.  It was just over 5 mins from the airport by free hotel shuttle bus.   

I picked this hotel because I was able to be collected the following morning and brought on a full day tour of LA.  The tour covered all the main tourist attractions and I was able to book the tickets at the ticket desk in the hotel foyer the night before the tour.  It cost $85.  This is the tour   

https://viptoursofcalifornia.com/shop/hop-on-hop-off-24-hours/

I got an uber from the hotel to the cruise terminal and it cost $32 plus tip.