Bring laptop vs. RCCL internet??

Can anyone tell me the advantages/disadvantages of bringing my laptop and renting the internet hook-up cable vs. using the computers on the Navigator?? Is there a sign-in charge everytime you connect?? How much $$/minute?? Thanks so much!

We usually bring our laptop so my husband can download all our dig. pictures- he took over 500 last cruise..

We did use it for our internet also since we had our own wireless card, it was easy to use, but we had to go to a 'hotspot' on the ship to use this. So it was not really convient to lug the computer around...

We did use the onboard computers a couple of times and they were for the most part quick and we never had to wait to use one.

We paid for a package of minutes- you have an account and it just deducts as you use them.

If we did not need the computer for the pictures we would be happy to use the onboard computers...

Funcruiser

The computers at the internet cafe on the ships only allow interface through a keyboard and the provided web cam. Also, you can not install applications, such as Java, that may be required on some sites. The interface is through there own customized portal, no real Internet Explorer, Mozila, etc.. just their portal. You can reach most of the web this way.

If you are just looking to read and send text only emails (or their overpriced video email), then this setup works just fine. However, if you are looking to send/uplaod pictures, sign onto a secure web site (for the most part), or anything that requires more than just a keyboard and a web cam, you realy need a laptop.

We do both. The lap top is mostly used for downloading pictures from our digital cameeras, playing music in the cabin while getting ready for dinner, watching movies in the airport/on the plane, DW secure access to her work computer system. Internet cafe we use for checking pricing and availability of future cruises before we talk to the loyalty ambassador (don't use internet enough to justify cybercabin, and RCI web site is no charge at the cafe).

All depends on how much you intend to use the internet. If you're only going to send a few e-mails here and there, the $100 for the in-cabin probably isn't worth it.

I bring the laptop for all of the reasons mentioned in the posts above and feel the $100 is worth it for the convenience.

PapaSiera is a little confused. Yes, you use an RCI portal, but once you have logged on you are using REAL Internet Explorer. You can access secure sites, you can access web mail

Yes it is real IE (I was trying to be as non-tech as possible), but with several key features, primarily security features, disabled (I probaly should have stated a 'customized version of IE'). For many secure sites, you need to install various applets, such as Java. Installing applications onto computers that you do not own or are responsible for, or at least have the ability to remove the app after you are done (which you can not do on the Cafe PCs), is unethical, or at least rude to both the owners of the PC and the possible future users where the app may make their use of the terminal less than ideal. Additionaly, all secure sites are not accessible through the terminles. My DWs work site is not accessible through them, but we can access them through her laptop. Same for my companies VPN (no brainer there, needed the VPN app).

But, for the typical user, this is all besides the point. If keyboard access is all you need, and are not overly concerned about accessing a secure site, the cafe will likely meet your needs.

Agreed. I just returned from the Vision, and took my laptop. I found it helpful to download photos each day. As a communication device, I had no wireless connectivity in my cabin. The connection in the hotspots around the ship ( and there were several listed at the purser's desk) was at 11mbps, and seemed that it made no difference in speed if I usexd the ship's computers, or mine. the actual speed clocked an agonizngly slow 24kbs- dialup speeds circa 1994. Email is possible, but you won't be sending any large files ( eg photos) at $0.33 to $ .50/minute. If all you want to do is check your email, either way will work OK.

Given the choice again, I'd buy more memory for my camera and leave the laptop at home. As noted before, if you use your laptop, you MUST use IE to connect. I use Mozilla, and was unable to connect for the first day. I figured it out eventually. Good thing, because tech support on the ship is non-existent.

I have a mac and it worked fine - just remember to log out if you use your laptop. . .

however, if you want to print - like printing your boarding passess for your flight home - you need to use the internet cafe computers - cost is the same,

The are two major benefits for bringing your own laptop on RCI (or any) cruises.

1. If you have your own laptop you can connect, download all your messages, then disconnect. You will be off-line while you answer and compose new messages. Then you connect to send all messages. Total time usually about 5 minutes for 30-50 messages, first download then upload........

2. On many RCI ships you can buy unlimited use in the cabin (dial-up speed) for $100 for 1 week. Very beneficial if you need to surf as opposed to just emails. This is not possible on ALL RCI ships, check first.

I have been doing this for 5-7 years, so if anyone has any questions I would be pleased to help.....

For many secure sites, you need to install various applets, such as Java. .... Additionaly, all secure sites are not accessible through the terminles. My DWs work site is not accessible through them, but we can access them through her laptop. Same for my companies VPN (no brainer there, needed the VPN app).

A secure web site is a server side function, not a client side. Installing Java or any app is not required to access a secure site, that is controlled at the server level.

Some secure aites are not accessible from the ship because the ship uses a satellite connection and they are notorious for not performin well with secure (https) sites.

A secure web site is a server side function, not a client side. Installing Java or any app is not required to access a secure site, that is controlled at the server level.

Some secure aites are not accessible from the ship because the ship uses a satellite connection and they are notorious for not performin well with secure (https) sites.

Actualy, yes, some secure sites do requiore apps, including my DW's work site, DOES indeed REQUIRE a particular version of Java to be accessed. It generates a VT through the Java app.

There's plenty different ways to connect to a secured site/server. Some need client apps some do not. While it may be at the server where the authentication occurs some still need gateway access components loaded on the client. ie. Cisco VPN, Windows VPN..etc. There are also many SSL client apps that can also be needed depending on the server. The ships IP Address is dynamic which makes connecting and staying connected to a secure site/server somtimes impossible, not always but sometimes. This is prolly not the intended discussion for this thread or even this site. Giving us techy's a bad name :p

Can anyone tell me the advantages/disadvantages of bringing my laptop and renting the internet hook-up cable vs. using the computers on the Navigator?? Is there a sign-in charge everytime you connect?? How much $$/minute?? Thanks so much!

I was just on the Navigator (Feb 4th) and I brought my laptop. I always ask to use the internet hook-up in the cabin for $100.00. This provided me with unlimited use. The only disadvantage of this set-up is that the connection speed is similar to a dial-up connection. Since I have a cable modem at home - the difference in speed is noticeable, yet I constantly remind myself about the ability to stay connected as much as I want.

When I asked for the in-cabin connection, the person at Guest Services tried to talk me out of it. He kept telling me that the connection was REALLY slow and that the connection via the hotspots on the ship were much faster. I felt like he was trying to push me to buy the more expensive package. If you decide to connect using RCCL's wireless connection with your laptop and/or if you use their computer terminals, the cost per minute depends on the "plan" you sign up for. When I sailed last month, they did not offer an "unlimited" plan with this type of connection. If speed is your main concern, you may want to investigate that option. For me, I'd stick with the unlimited usage anyday!

Actualy, yes, some secure sites do requiore apps, including my DW's work site, DOES indeed REQUIRE a particular version of Java to be accessed. It generates a VT through the Java app.

totally different animal

There's plenty different ways to connect to a secured site/server. Some need client apps some do not. While it may be at the server where the authentication occurs some still need gateway access components loaded on the client. ie. Cisco VPN, Windows VPN..etc. There are also many SSL client apps that can also be needed depending on the server.

Yes, those are all secure connections but the discussion was https, secure web sites

Archived