Booze Cruises?

trummy

I think that term could apply to most short cruises on just about any cruise line (except the really highfalutin ones) - especially at certain times of the year (like SPRING BREAK) 😁

It isn't just Carnival.

• Like 2

Yeah, I think the 'booze cruise' thing is a misnomer. When I hear that term, I think of raucous nights on the Las Vegas strip and Bourbon Street - truly boozy places. In our experience, cruising has never ever approached those heights (or lows) of mass inebriation. We've been on 3 recent long-weekend (Thur-Mon) cruises and have not found them much different in terms of boozy-ness than longer cruises. Cheers people will get their preferred level of cheer on no matter the length of the cruise. We are night owls and it's been much the same story every Carnival cruise we've been on - lively evenings, things slow down after midnight and the ships are pretty much put to bed by 2am - nothing I'd ever term a 'booze cruise'.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, txcruiser1234 said:

Yeah, I think the 'booze cruise' thing is a misnomer. When I hear that term, I think of raucous nights on the Las Vegas strip and Bourbon Street - truly boozy places. In our experience, cruising has never ever approached those heights (or lows) of mass inebriation. We've been on 3 recent long-weekend (Thur-Mon) cruises and have not found them much different in terms of boozy-ness than longer cruises. Cheers people will get their preferred level of cheer on no matter the length of the cruise. We are night owls and it's been much the same story every Carnival cruise we've been on - lively evenings, things slow down after midnight and the ships are pretty much put to bed by 2am - nothing I'd ever term a 'booze cruise'.

I’ve heard about it on Carnival but never experiences first hand. I also haven’t done shorter than 7 days on carnival. 

I also don’t stay up late. 

I did recently do a 4 night in another line and it was a whole different experience. Someone in my group described the adults only pool as “a scene from Jersey Shore”. Complete with push-up competitions to the music. I didn’t spend most of my time around there. It didn’t bother me. But it was definitely a new vibe I hadn’t encountered on a cruise yet. 

there was one man we ran into 3 times over the trip and he was intoxicated, loud and starting arguments with everyone each time. 

3 hours ago, trummy said:

Is it really far to accuse Carnival of having Booze Cruises? Carnival is the only line that limits drinks to 15 a day.

I don't think any line runs booze cruises.

What you have is groups, such as a college fraternity or stag or hen parties or just a group of friends, that decide to get together for a rip roaring time. They generally don't want expensive or upscale so they go with cheap and short (once you are too drunk to remember the extra time is wasted). Carnival prides itself on cheap and it has short cruises so it gets more booze cruisers than other lines.

Booze cruise is just a reference to fast getaways -- short 3 and 4 day cruises where people just want to get away (from work) for a couple days and party a bit... take in a comedy club show... etc.  Some people refer to these cruises as cruises to nowhere since there might be very little interest in the foreign port the ship must stop at.  Theoretically, there might be more people inclined to pack in the drinking during this shorter duration as opposed to spreading the partying out over the course of the cruise during a 7-day cruise or longer.

well since cruise line make a lot of profit off of liquor, they probably smile at the term booze cruise.

But really all the lines especially RCI, CCL, Princess, and NCL have drink packages and push them a lot.  

When I hear the term Booze cruise, I really think that is it the main reason folks might be on the ship like for New Years Eve, or quick 3-4 days in the summer.

But for the most part, a lot of alcohol is drunk with meals and is wine. And also in the theatre for shows.

8 hours ago, txcruiser1234 said:

Have you done a three day out of Long Beach? I’ve been on a few definite booze cruises to Ensenada. This was back when Imagination and Inspiration sailed from there. Maybe the newer ships have cut back on the issue. 

• Like 1