Just off Serenade...3/4 to 3/11

Let me start by saying...."what a cruise...!!!" We had a great trip. The weather was beautiful and all the ports were very nice. I am not the best typist so if anyone has any questions, I will asnwer them as best as I can.

My Wife and I and my sister in law and our niece were on this trip. As you will see they like to shop.

Were had excursions planned for each island. They were all great.

St Thomas - Morning shopping, then on to Megans Bay - Very pretty but VERY crowded.

St Maarten - Morning shopping, then went to Orient Beach - The beach and water were very nice and clean. Our niece went parasailing. She loved it. It was 50 bux. Not a bad price.

Antigua - We went to another beach, I forget the name. It was very nice as well. Hounded to buy stuff though. Once they saw you werent interested, they let you alone. We rented wave runners here. 50 bux 1/2 hr and 90 for 1 hr. if you get two, they went to 80 bux for 1 hr

St Lucia - The wife and I went deep sea fishing. We blanked, but got a good view of the Pitons. When we left St Lucia the captain pulls the boat into a cove and does a 360 and all sides of the ship can see these awsome mountains.

Barbados - This was our favorite stop. We took the Tiami snorkel and Turtle excusrion. It was great. We stopped by to snorkel at a ship wreck and saw some nice fish. Then stopped by where the turtles were. We got in and swam around with them while the guide fed them and they swam around us. It was really neat. The third stop was to Carlisle Bay. The catamaran rand a-ground so we could get off to swim or hang on the beach. This was the clearest water I've seen in quite some time. ( close to or clearer than grand cayman water ) 15 ft deep and we could see the ripples in the sand on the bottom. VERY NICE !

We booked again for the same time next year...!!! Great ship and crew. The food was very good. We have been on the Voyager class ships a bunch of times so we werent sure about the Radiance class, but we were pleasantly surprised to say the least.

Any questions...? I will help if I can

Justwaiting and lilnemo...I tried to call a few times and got no answer. I hung up after three rings or so cuz I didnt want to bother you. Hope you guys had a good trip as well.

Did the captain take you by Monserrat on Friday?

YES, i FELT LIKE WE WERE on stroll along of the islands on the way back to port! we went by Monserrat he pulled in pretty close AND also turn so both sides could see. it was like a mini excursion tour on the BIG ship!

The evening we left the island of antigua the volcano actually had an eruption! way cool!

you could see the steam vents when we went by on our way back!

Was it a smooth sailing? Did you try chops?

I go on this same cruise in less than 3 weeks and can't wait.

Thanks.

this interary is alot like island hopping more than big ship cruising. top speed was probably 18 knots! but mostly slower than that! sometimes it felt like we weren't moving at all!!

we had a little rocking on thurs beacuse you sail into the alantic. and seas are rougher but, not bad!

there were some who got sick though!!

weren't we the lucky ones to come back and get a snow day for an extra day off!!!!

I've spent most of the day downlaoding, backing up, organizing my 600 or so digital pix of the cruise!! i have some awesome snaps of the sunset and Pitons!!!!

Justwaiting and lilnemo...I tried to call a few times and got no answer. I hung up after three rings or so cuz I didnt want to bother you. Hope you guys had a good trip as well.

This a crazy port intensive cruise, when we weren't in port having fun, it seemed like we were sleeping or eating! and that's about all there was time for! I was dying for friday to come so i could tool around the ship. and relax!

we did meet with Barb h and her gang, on the same excursion and then it seemed like we just kept running into each other all over the islands! lol

I have been pouring through photos this morning!! a far cry from what i'm looking at out my window currently! 10 inches of fresh snow! yck!

We have been on the Voyager class ships a bunch of times so we werent sure about the Radiance class, but we were pleasantly surprised to say the least.

And I'm glad to hear that you were pleasantly surprised with the Radiance class. We have only been on the Mariner and wondered if we would like the smaller class (not that it is much smaller!) Glad you had a great time and if you have any pictures to share, I'd love to see them. We sail next month! :D

Which side of the ship is along the dock in ports? We are thinking of this cruise and enjoy watching the ports from our balcony.

Thanks for any help.

but that doesn't mean anything! sometimes they back in, pull in and do a 180 swirly gig!

we were on the port side in the port of debarkation. but we were only pier/port side at one port, so go figure how they decided which side is bellying up to the pier at each port. really the ports of calls dockage isn't the lovest thing to look at. St. Toms and st. Martin was okay. but the rest were the islands major shipping dock area, not the prettiest sites!!

YES, i FELT LIKE WE WERE on stroll along of the islands on the way back to port! we went by Monserrat he pulled in pretty close AND also turn so both sides could see. it was like a mini excursion tour on the BIG ship!

That last day where you pass all the islands was exceptional to me....it was just so beautiful watching those islands pass so close by that you felt you could almost swim to shore. I am sorely tempted to book the Serenade again...It's a port intensive cruise, but every one of the islands it stopped on were simply beautiful.

We say your ship in St Thomas I was on the sun princess. Did you see Bobby Bowden and the film crew on the ship. We say his wife shopping in town with the film crew. I think that would be a hassle on your cruise.

Glad you had a good time. We are trying to decide between the serenade and adventure at the same time next year.

Flips

Hi golfer1966! We will be on the Serenade the end of April when it does its "one time only" annual 10 day cruise, just before it goes on it's repositioning cruise. So we have the added ports of Aruba and Curacao in addition to the ones you had. I did have a couple of questions if you don't mind.

First, what time was the muster drill on the night of departure? Secondly, in Barbados on your Tiami Catamaran & Turtle snorkel tour, would it be enjoyable even if you are not snorkeling? Also, in St. Lucia they offer a Soufriere Catamaran Day sail. Did you happen to hear about it from anyone that went on it? I have messages posted on the appropriate port of call site, but no responses.

Thanks!

Susan

P.S. One more thing, when were your formal nights?

I've spent most of the day downlaoding, backing up, organizing my 600 or so digital pix of the cruise!! i have some awesome snaps of the sunset and Pitons!!!!

Will you be posting your pics on this thread? Would love to see them.

Thanks.

See that you did parasailing in St. Maarten but did you buy any chance notice parasailing on Antigua or Barbados. Will be going on 4/8 and have excursions booked on St. Thomas/St. Maarten and St. Lucia and hoping to do beach/parasailing on one of the other 2 islands if offered. I had heard that the boat in Antigua used for parasailing was being overhauled/replaced and therefore there was no parasailing on the island. I'm hoping that changes by the time we get there.

We can't wait to go - so excited!

After your day in Antigua, what time did you pass by Montserrat? I'm really looking forward to both passings, in the dark and during the day. :)

it was dark and if it hadn't errupted you wouldn't know it was there! it was glowing like embers for quite awhile. I missed the actual eruption but my spouse got it on video, AT LEAST WE THINK WE DID? LOL we'll see.

We say your ship in St Thomas I was on the sun princess. Did you see Bobby Bowden and the film crew on the ship. We say his wife shopping in town with the film crew. I think that would be a hassle on your cruise.

Glad you had a good time. We are trying to decide between the serenade and adventure at the same time next year.

Flips

who is bobby bowden?

I hope this helps answer your questions....

-We stayed at the Marriott in Condado. It was a beautiful resort. We used my mifes point so i am not sure how much it would cost...sorry. We have also stayed at the Intercontinental and that was around 150 a night when we went in Oct.

- Friday ( at sea day ) was kind of rough. Thats becuase we were on the Atlantic side of the islands, but it wasnt out of control rough, but it was noticeable.

- We did pass by Monserrat. I missed the night time show, but on Friday at about 9:30 am, we stopped by it and the Capt. did a 360 so everyone would have a good view. Its kind of sad to see the devistation, but still interesting to see it at the same time. We met people that did the helicopter tour in Antigua and they said it was well worth the money (290 usd). I regret not doing it now too.

- She used a private company to parasail at Orient Beach. It was 50 bux for 10-12 mins. Not a bad deal. There are topless ladies here so if nudity offends anyone, I would stay away. ( just an FYI. )

-We did see a fild crew a few times, but it was no problem and they didnt get in the way at all. I think I did see Bobby in the elevator one night, but I didnt think it was him. Later to find out that he was on the ship for the Seminole Fund Raiser Cruise his wife runs. ( go penn state...lol )

- The muster drill was between the 1st and 2nd seating. (around 7:30) It was dark so it wasnt too hot. But we had late seating so we were dressed for dinner, but it wasnt too bad.

- My sister in law stayed on the catamaran and didnt snorkel either. She sun bathed while we snorkeled. The catamaran also stopped at a beach and you could enjoy the beach as well. This was called Carlisle Bay. It was very nice and the water was soooo clear. The sand was very soft and clean too. This was a good excursion for all. There was also a lunch served on the catamaran too. Chicken, fish, rice, mac and cheese ( homemade not kraft ...lol) salad and plenty of booze, beer and soda and juice. The turtles were realy neat. You could still see them in the water, but if you snorkel, you can see them better.

-If I can figure out how to add pix I would be happy too. I have tons of the ship, each island, swimming with the turtles, Monserrat, The Pitons at St Lucia.

-Formal nights were Monday ( after St Maarten ) and Thursday ( after Barbados ...lobster night : )

- They did offer parasailing at the other islands becuase we saw the chutes, but we didnt do it so I am not sure on the prices...sorry

I hope this helps you all.... more questions are welcomed and I will answer if I can.

For those of you going on this cruise in the future, you'll just love it. We did and rebooked for next March... : )

, If I can figure out how to add pix I would be happy too. I have tons of the ship, each island, swimming with the turtles, Monserrat, The Pitons at St Lucia.

Golfer, first of all, thanks for all the info on the Serenade. We are sailing in 3 weeks and 3 days, (not that we are counting :D ) and appreciate all that you have shared.

About the pictures: I just started using webshots.com. They are free and are easy to use. Maybe that is a place you could put some of your pictures. Just a suggestion.

Again, thanks for taking the time to inform all of us about that wonderful cruise. I think we will re-book her when we are onboard!

Archived