Dietary preference and shore excursion lunches

YTUgal

I have found that it varies with the excursion and where the trip is.  For example on one excursion in Alaska, they knew I needed gluten free and so gave me a Nature Valley oat granola bar.  When I pointed out that it wasn't gluten free they said they thought since it was an oat bar it would be ok.  They didn't consider cross contamination in the factory, which is why the product wasn't marked gluten free.  I was quite hungry on that one.  Other excursions in Alaska went fine.  

You should, however, sit down with guest services to go over the excursions with meals and ask that they double check with the providers, and again tell the servers on the excursion.  In Iceland the restaurants had not been told in advance but they were very accommodating in helping me know what I could eat.  Maybe Viking knew they could take care of it.

For lunches on excursions, they’ll usually ask at the beginning of the tour.  One tour, they called out a list of cabins, which I’m assuming was given by the shore ex manager.  I 9only know that because friends were in one of the cabins called out, and one is allergic to seafood, and mostly eat vegetarian….only some fish.  Usually there is a vegetarian choice on most excursion lunches I’ve been on.  I don’t remember anyone discussing gluten free though.  

Frankly, I never assume any provider will accommodate my allergies (even if they say so- it can be language, culture or just them trying to make sure we eat so we don't post a bad review...) so we prepare accordingly. Which generally means I get to eat with my eyes... and enjoy the experience through others.  I use this same approach on board as well. It has served me well for decades of global travel.

Luckily, my travel companion can eat everything so will frequently end up with 'double portions'. 

A good breakfast on the ship and plenty of fluids gets us through any tour with limited anxiety about whether the onshore food will cause issues.  That is the benefit of cruising- no shortage of available options for sustenance with easy to ID ingredients where we need that option (grilled steak, rice, etc). It may mean missing out on nouvelle cuisine and other 'chef-ified' items but on balance we are happy with the trade off vs renting a villa and cooking our own food.

• Like 1