Live from Iona Norwegian Fjords 20th May 7 Nights

8 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Can't speak for Iona but on Arvia 40 in the queue meant around an hour.  Waiters were rushed off their feet and tables were very slow to be cleared which meant people not moving through.

Something must be drastically wrong. I’d hazard a guess that the two MDRs on Arvia must have a capacity of around 800 covers each? Let’s say that each table is only used twice per evening, that’s 1,600 people per MDR. Nobody leaves in the first hour, so let’s say departures are phased over 4 hours. That’s 400 people leaving per hour. Makes me wonder if walk ups are getting priority?

1 hour ago, RA10 said:

I have read mixed reviews on Chef's table.  I understand that it's part of the buffet restaurant which is sectioned off for Celebration night and is set up for table service with table cloth etc.  My interest is that we can book it in advance before we board.  Does anyone happen to know if it's the same menu as the MDR or something different?  

More or less; the main difference being that it has paired wines for each course. To be fair, the food we had was the same as we had eaten previously on a celebration night in Zenith (Arvia).

My review of it is HERE

1 hour ago, RA10 said:

I have read mixed reviews on Chef's table.  I understand that it's part of the buffet restaurant which is sectioned off for Celebration night and is set up for table service with table cloth etc.  My interest is that we can book it in advance before we board.  Does anyone happen to know if it's the same menu as the MDR or something different?  

Our experience with the Chefs Table on Iona in March was very good. The tables were nicely laid and in an area sectioned off from the Buffet. The menu was very good, more like a good restaurant than the MDRs. The service was excellent too. Will definitely be booking it again for Iona cruise to the Fjords in July.

22 minutes ago, TigerB said:

More or less; the main difference being that it has paired wines for each course. To be fair, the food we had was the same as we had eaten previously on a celebration night in Zenith (Arvia).

My review of it is HERE

19 minutes ago, Jennizor said:

Our experience with the Chefs Table on Iona in March was very good. The tables were nicely laid and in an area sectioned off from the Buffet. The menu was very good, more like a good restaurant than the MDRs. The service was excellent too. Will definitely be booking it again for Iona cruise to the Fjords in July.

Thank you TigerB and Jennizor.  As we want to avoid the hassle of booking etc using the app, I think we will just book the Chef's Table before sailing, as celebration night is the the day after departure.  We'll book Sindhu for 3rd night.  By then we'd have some idea of how the booking system works for MDRs and entertainment via the app.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cathygh said:

The table size was part of it. Chefs Table is dressed as an Mdr with table service. The queues for dining tonight are all very busy with 40+in each queue and it's only 7.45.

As for dining later it will depend on what time. We saw people hoping to walk in at 8.30 and were turned away. I don't know if they got in later. 

I do feel it's an unsatisfactory arrangement and must be worse on Arvia as there are only 2 mdrs.

With 40 in the queue  on Iona last week for a table for 2 at 7.45pm ish it was taking no more than 15 minutes  to get called forward

Basically it moved very fast last week

• Like 1

I've really enjoyed reading this thread. Thanks for taking the time for all your posts and so many interesting comments from everyone.

We are going to lose our cruising cherry on the iona fjords in August and would appreciate your thoughts on a few things.

First we have 9 and 12 year old girls with us, what do you recommend for them on board (we'd rather not dump them in a kids club, but if they are highly recommended, we'll let them have a go).

Are there many shows on during the day, they love a musical or a dance routine.  Are there any stages that are 'open' in the day, we're travelling with family and will have three dancers who'd love to put on a small 'private' / fun show mid afternoon. Though I guess they can probably use a bit of deck as well as a stage, or an empty cinema screen!

Most of our budget has gone on the cruise itself, can you recommend any really low cost options.  I know Norway is EXPENSIVE, but there must be some things at the cheaper end.  A bowls or croquet green would be good.  Walks are free and I guess we could get pre recorded guides. That said  I think we'll struggle to persuade them to do that more than once. Also, typically, how long is the Iona in port at each stop.  I'm in training for a half marathon. I expect there's some amazing scenery to do the training in, but I kind of don't want to miss the boat..

I see you like your cocktails, did you have the package or were you paying for them all, I'm guessing around a tenner each ? Seem good value but I suppose P&O aren't paying any booze duty on them so not so good.

Can you confirm 1 litre of drink bought on board per adult at the start of the cruise. Presumably you can't top up onshore, and I doubt there's much saving?

The 710 looks massively popular, is that an adult only experience ? I think I read somewhere no children allowed.

34 minutes ago, ParisHilton said:

I've really enjoyed reading this thread. Thanks for taking the time for all your posts and so many interesting comments from everyone.

We are going to lose our cruising cherry on the iona fjords in August and would appreciate your thoughts on a few things.

First we have 9 and 12 year old girls with us, what do you recommend for them on board (we'd rather not dump them in a kids club, but if they are highly recommended, we'll let them have a go).

Are there many shows on during the day, they love a musical or a dance routine.  Are there any stages that are 'open' in the day, we're travelling with family and will have three dancers who'd love to put on a small 'private' / fun show mid afternoon. Though I guess they can probably use a bit of deck as well as a stage, or an empty cinema screen!

Most of our budget has gone on the cruise itself, can you recommend any really low cost options.  I know Norway is EXPENSIVE, but there must be some things at the cheaper end.  A bowls or croquet green would be good.  Walks are free and I guess we could get pre recorded guides. That said  I think we'll struggle to persuade them to do that more than once. Also, typically, how long is the Iona in port at each stop.  I'm in training for a half marathon. I expect there's some amazing scenery to do the training in, but I kind of don't want to miss the boat..

I see you like your cocktails, did you have the package or were you paying for them all, I'm guessing around a tenner each ? Seem good value but I suppose P&O aren't paying any booze duty on them so not so good.

Can you confirm 1 litre of drink bought on board per adult at the start of the cruise. Presumably you can't top up onshore, and I doubt there's much saving?

The 710 looks massively popular, is that an adult only experience ? I think I read somewhere no children allowed.

In no particular order. We didn't travel with kids so wasnt really  paying attention to what kids were doing but in the past our kids really loved the kids clubs on board every cruise 

But that's the kind of thing you need to book as early as poss as you are on a school holiday cruise as many families will be returning kids who have experienced kids club and will want to return and book every session rather than test it  out. So I wouldnt hang about when booking that. Others will be able to advise more on that

710 club is adults  only

Don't know about taking drinks on board. Again others will advise

Typically on port days it's 9am off the ship and 4.30pm to 5.30pm back on

Cocktails were approx 8 pounds each some slightly cheaper some more expensive. We didn't buy any packages and only had 1 or 2 each day. Alongside water FOC

The big musical theatre shows were evening based. Your kids will love the headliners shows and the shows in the dome and also some of the shows in the atrium

When my kids went to kids club in the past there used to be some kind of talent show stuff they did on some days I seem to remember

The cinema always has kids movies on every day which change daily and thats throughout the day and free of charge

On port days if the weather is nice in alesund theres a walk with lots of steps up and down to a viewing point that's free of charge that might be a fun challenge for the family to do together

Stavanger nothing stands out for you to do with the kids FOC but it's a nice walk all around there straight from getting off the ship. The same in Haugesund.

Others might have some ideas though?

Olden was just a beautiful place full stop to walk. If you head the opposite direction to the way to the skyline I believe it's much safer to walk as it's got pavements etc

Hope some of this helps

Edited by Interestedcruisefan

That's all really helpful ICF. Especially knowing I can work around 6 hours on shore. Even with my half marathon times, that gives a me a run and time to do something more 'cruisy' when docked.

I'm going to look into doing some treasure hunts, though I need to think about the logistics of setting up a treasure hunt somewhere where I arrive the same time as everyone else, though I see the first port is only a short flight from Aberdeen, and as I'm there fairly frequently perhaps I should pop over leave some clues and come back, though that would be a very expensive thing to be doing!

Will get some rubber ducks to hide, see if we can craft some for people to keep as souvenirs too. Maybe dress one in Notts Forest kit just for you 🙂

13 hours ago, RA10 said:

It's a Marco Pierre White Menu but I'm.not sure if it had the beef Wellington. The mdr one didn't

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ParisHilton said:

That's all really helpful ICF. Especially knowing I can work around 6 hours on shore. Even with my half marathon times, that gives a me a run and time to do something more 'cruisy' when docked.

I'm going to look into doing some treasure hunts, though I need to think about the logistics of setting up a treasure hunt somewhere where I arrive the same time as everyone else, though I see the first port is only a short flight from Aberdeen, and as I'm there fairly frequently perhaps I should pop over leave some clues and come back, though that would be a very expensive thing to be doing!

Will get some rubber ducks to hide, see if we can craft some for people to keep as souvenirs too. Maybe dress one in Notts Forest kit just for you 🙂

Theres also a running track round the ship you know. 7 laps was a mile (or something like that). My wife loved getting up early for her runs every day on there and will be some great views for you

13 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Given the size of the MDRs, a queue of 40 should be absolutely nothing and should shift within 10 minutes or so. I am intrigued and anxious, in equal measure, to see how things pan out for us on Britannia in July and Iona in August. We know one of the senior food and beverage managers very well and I am really hoping that he is going to be on one of those cruises 😂 

Sorry got the time wrong it was 6.

45 not 7.45.  The queues were then all full so at 7.45 We went to Coral to enquire and were told there were 300 people in the queue and that in future if we went there 35-45 minutes before we wanted to eat we could have a pager and be called In 35-45 minutes.  We will do that another night but tonight tonight we are going to.Sindhu which is another stressful story.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cathygh said:

It's a Marco Pierre White Menu but I'm.not sure if it had the beef Wellington. The mdr one didn't

No beef Wellington!! 

That's it, final straw, I'm cancelling... 😂

Actually, Marco is on our cruise, I will be having a word... 

Andy 

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

3 minutes ago, Cathygh said:

45 not 7.45.  The queues were then all full so at 7.45 We went to Coral to enquire and were told there were 300 people in the queue and that in future if we went there 35-45 minutes before we wanted to eat we could have a pager and be called In 35-45 minutes.  We will do that another night but tonight tonight we are going to.Sindhu which is another stressful story.

Blimey Cathy... 

It shouldn't be that difficult to get some dinner, I feel for you. 

Andy 

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Cathygh said:

Ok. I think the time makes the biggest difference. At 6.45pm the restaurant will be full with nobody yet leaving. I am hoping that by leaving it until later we might find it moves quicker. There will be six of us. If each couple joins a virtual queue for a different restaurant (as you did) and I send one of the younger ones down to get a pager, we have four chances 😂 

All joking apart, I wonder how many groups are joining multiple queues to try to beat the system? Whilst understandable, it would partly explain some of the problems. I know that I have said it multiple times, but P&O have fixed a problem that never existed - and caused loads more as a result! 

• Like 6

38 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Theres also a running track round the ship you know. 7 laps was a mile (or something like that). My wife loved getting up early for her runs every day on there and will be some great views for you

Now THAT is really good to know.  (the track, not your wife).

70 odd laps though, the boredom will set in.

Will feel like the Moysiah is making me run dem laps.

21 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

All joking apart, I wonder how many groups are joining multiple queues to try to beat the system? Whilst understandable, it would partly explain some of the problems. I know that I have said it multiple times, but P&O have fixed a problem that never existed - and caused loads more as a result! 

It seems a really good idea, but you just know how people behave (maybe just English people) when there's any kind of scarcity, bog roll, pasta, restaurant bookings, 710 club.

Easy enough fix though, charge a deposit for every booking. Returned if you show up or cancel 15mins before.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, ParisHilton said:

Now THAT is really good to know.  (the track, not your wife).

70 odd laps though, the boredom will set in.

Will feel like the Moysiah is making me run dem laps.

You might find the views on a Norwegian Fjords cruise ensure its not as boring as you think. Invigorating as well 

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

I know that I have said it multiple times, but P&O have fixed a problem that never existed - and caused loads more as a result! 

The problem I think that does certainly exist is that the majority of people on cruise ships do not want to share tables when given the choice 

This was really noticeable on the Iona cruise in MDR

Shared tables at set times was the only way in the  past that ships could get everybody fed 

I think we all realise that. We all accept that. We've all shared tables. Some enjoy it. Some don't. It's almost intimidating for those who have never  experienced it before. Rightly or wrongly. We actually enjoyed it when we first cruised having been worried about it before we cruised. But given the choice we don't share now.

That issue may still not exist on smaller ships with lots of cruisers used to doing it and happy to sign up for it and those  cruise holidays can viably try and keep that happening for as long as people pay in enough numbers for shared dining cruises.

With the larger cruise ships now though they need to attract hundreds of thousands of new cruisers each year

It was really noticeable that MDR on Iona when people are given the CHOICE of whether to share a table or not they choose NOT to share

The MDRs were DOMINATED by tables of 2 or 4

That's what people are mainly asking for when asked what they want

My estimate was 60 per cent of tables  were being used for 2 

25 per cent of tables for 4

Only 15 per cent were 6s or 8s or more

When people are given the choice

And maybe half of those tables for 6 plus were family groups rather than sharing tables. So even less than 15 per cent of tables are tables where passengers are asking to share

Freedom dining isn't just about what time or where people choose to dine of course.

It's very much about whether people want to share a table or not

The cruise companies have to try and give their future customers the holiday experience they would want

So they did have a problem to fix. If they wanted to attract new customers and give  them a holiday experience they wanted to repeat. Which they need to happen to survive and flourish

Also people like the choice to dip in and dip out of dining in the same restaurant at the same time each night which compounds why the cruise companies needed to change. They need to know when people aren't coming in as well as when they are coming in.

They can't just have MDR tables waiting empty in case someone comes in or not. They need to know whether the guests are CHOOSING to eat with them each night

They wouldn't have changed if they didn't need to 

I'm sure of that. They've made it harder for their staff allowing the passengers choices they never had before

But the thing we hear complaints about on here has only come about due to the demands of customers and to meet those demands of those customers

Sharing tables is still possible every night in MDR. It's just that the vast majority aren't choosing to do it often if at all

Edited by Interestedcruisefan

5 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

The problem I think that does certainly exist is that given the  choice the majority of people on cruise ships do not want to share tables when given the choice 

Shared tables at set times was the only way in the  past that ships could get everybody fed 

I think we all realise that. We all accept that. We've all shared tables. Some enjoy it. Some don't. It's almost intimidating for those who have never  experienced it before. Rightly or wrongly. We actually enjoyed it when we first cruised having been worried about it before we cruised. But given the choice we don't share now.

That issue may still not exist on smaller ships with lots of cruisers used to doing it and happy to sign up for it and those  cruise holidays can viably try and keep that happening for as long as people pay in enough numbers for shared dining cruises.

With the larger cruise ships now though they need to attract hundreds of thousands of new cruisers each year

It was really noticeable that MDR on Iona when people are given the CHOICE of whether to share a table or not they choose NOT to share

The MDRs were DOMINATED by tables of 2 or 4

That's what people are mainly asking for when asked what they want

My estimate was 60 per cent of tables  were being used for 2 

25 per cent of tables for 4

Only 15 per cent were 6s or 8s or more

When people are given the choice

And maybe half of those tables for 6 plus were family groups rather than sharing tables 

Freedom dining isn't just about what time or where people choose to dine of course.

It's very much about whether people want to share a table or not

The cruise companies have to try and give their future customers the holiday experience they would want

So they did have a problem to fix. If they wanted to attract new customers and give  them a holiday experience they wanted to repeat. Which they need to happen to survive and flourish

Also people like they choice to dip in and dip out of dining in the same restaurant at the same time each night which compounds why the cruise companies needed to change

They wouldn't have changed if they didn't need to 

I'm sure

All cruise lines, not just P&O, still have a large number of sharing tables, it would be impossible for them to feed up to 8,000 people if they didn't have them.  On Arvia often the only way you could get into the app queue was to accept table sharing, not just in the two MDR's but also The Olive Grove and Diner.  Looking round the two latter venues it didn't seem the sort of place I'd consider sharing a table but the option was there.

While you and your good lady are sharing intimate dinners on your table for 2 you need to remember there are hundreds of solo travellers out there who don't particularly want to be Billy No Mates when they dine either. The cruise lines have to cater for everyone from a solo to a family group of 20+ so a blanket 2 or 4 man table regime would be pretty useless to them.

On the two big ships there's problems because of volume of people, not the type of tables they want to eat ate. Start messing with the system it goes wrong.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, ParisHilton said:

If Alesund is on your itinerary you may all enjoy (!)  a walk up the 400 steps to Mount Aksla, depending on the weather and everyone's mobility.

There are plenty of places to rest on the way up, and different viewpoints. The view at the top is just 'WOW'

It will definitely be a different type of walk for your children...and you! 

As the ship docks you can see the steps winding up the side of the Mount ...and so the challenge begins! 

Link below might explain it a bit better than me! 

https://www.lifeinnorway.net/aksla-alesund-viewpoint/ 

• Like 1

On 5/28/2023 at 6:20 AM, Interestedcruisefan said:

The quality of meal I had in Limelight was really  good on Arvia

Didnt manage to get a booking in there for Iona

But overheard 2 ladies saying the  fillet steak was the best they had ever  had in their lives and melted in their mouths

Which reminded me of my steak in there. I also remember the dessert I had was amazing

I said at the time the meal was close to Epicurean standard and justified the cost with or without the entertainment for us

Hence we wanted to re-book

People obviously like the Limelight and what they are getting. And word clearly spreads. As it's quite a large venue on Arvia and Iona and getting sold out very early

Which speaks for itself

It certainly makes more sense for tables to be allocated on first booked/best  allocated basis. They could also have slightly staggered times for arrivals if they really want to remove the queues

ICF, thank you for all your updates in this thread.  I have read with interest your updates and comments/queries from others.  This has helped us be better prepared and have some idea of what to expect on our cruise in next couple of weeks.  I can se that not all of us can be as lucky as you but I thinks and hope that on balance we could have a normal enjoyable holiday with minimal stress.   

• Like 1