The Highlands (if not the islands) of Scotland

JakTar

After 20-something cruises, and none since the pandemic, the attraction of a round-Britain cruise allowing me to see my home from a different perspective proved irresistible. The food, cabin, staff and entertainment aboard the Norwegian Dawn have, thus far, all been fine, but this diary snapshot is to highlight one rather galling failure.

Wednesday 17 May 2023 (after a splendid day in Inverness)

Stornoway, tomorrow's port of call in the wild and beautiful Outer Hebrides, will be the undoubted highlight of the cruise. So much to see and learn about: the Standing Stones of Calanais, the Lewis Chessmen (sadly shipped to Edinburgh and London), Harris Tweed... I imagine there are passengers (sorry - I mean, guests) on board who have waited their whole lives, and travelled halfway round the world, to take up a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to visit this remote home of their Scottish ancestors.

Thursday 18 May 2023

"The captain has determined that, due to the inclement weather, we will be having a day at sea."

The disappointment is palpable. And what are some of the upbeat activities that the cruise director has hastily but imaginatively improvised in an effort to lift spirits? Let's take a look at some of the revised schedule…
11:00a  Blackjack tournament (fee required)
1:00p   Mojito tasting (fee required)
2:00p   Wine and French Macarons (fee required)
3:00p   Margarita tasting (fee required)
3:15p   Bingo card sales (fee, obviously)
4:00p   Wine and chocolate pairing (guess what)
Not even a single dance class? Really?? There's not a single person amongst the officers and crew (Hello! Entertainment staff!!) who could put together a fun, 45-minute class teaching a line dance, or cha-cha, or jive, or salsa, or ballroom waltz???
For shame!

To be continued…

Edited by JakTar
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• JakTar changed the title to The Highlands (if not the islands) of Scotland