Cape Liberty cruiseport to Times Square Area

JJean

What is the easiest way to get from the port to NYC.  I am wondering about taking a train if that would work

or should we use Uber or car service. Should I go to Newark airport and go from there.  Any advice would

be appreciated.  I don't want to spend more than necessary.

1 hour ago, JJean said:

What is the easiest way to get from the port to NYC.  I am wondering about taking a train if that would work

or should we use Uber or car service. Should I go to Newark airport and go from there.  Any advice would

be appreciated.  I don't want to spend more than necessary.

You are presenting conflicting choices. Easiest will not be the least expensive.

Easiest will be ride service be it Uber/Lyft which will charge surge pricing when you disembark or arranging through Carmel Limo or Dial 7.

If you are looking for cost effective there is a public transit option. Taxi from Cape Liberty ($12) to 34th Street light rail in Bayonne. Light rail in the direction of Hoboken to the Exchange Place/Journal Square station. Short walk to PATH train. PATH to NYC. 2 PATH routes, 1 terminating in midtown at 33rd Street, the other in lower Manhattan at WTC.

Do not travel to Newark, it will be more expensive, more time and you will backtrack into NYC from the PATH option.

• Like 1

Easy and cost are on opposite ends of a continuum.

"Easiest" way is always going to be a for-hire vehicle, one that will take you directly from the port to your destination in New York City. Taxi, TNC, black car. It will be most expensive.

Less expensive is a FHV from the port to the nearby light rail station in Bayonne. Then light rail train (New Jersey Transit) from Bayonne to Hoboken, then rapid transit train (PATH) from Hoboken to New York. This leaves you in Herald Square, about 10 blocks from Times Square. About $15 total. But not the easiest, with at least two connections required.

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

Do yourself a favor and hire a car service; Carmel 212 666-6666. You will be exhausted the day your debark and it's worth every penny to arrive comfortably and stress free into Manhattan with all your luggage instead of having to haul them aboard two different trains. 

You're on vacation, enjoy it. 

Jonathan

Edited by cruiserking

4 hours ago, cruiserking said:

Do yourself a favor and hire a car service; Carmel 212 666-6666. You will be exhausted the day your debark and it's worth every penny to arrive comfortably and stress free into Manhattan with all your luggage instead of having to haul them aboard two different trains. You're on vacation, enjoy it.

It depends on the individual: different strokes for different folks. My wife and I have always used, and much prefer, the trains from Bayonne to New York. (A total of four trains from Bayonne to our home in Flushing, Queens.) We have never been exhausted on the day of our arrival into Bayonne. The trains are much more comfortable for us compared to the automobiles used by taxis and TNC services: there's much more room to move around, instead of being crammed into the back seat, restrained by a seat belt (in addition, my wife is likely to get car sick in an automobile, especially with all the abrupt starts and stops, but she never gets ill with the smooth ride of being on a train). The trip is completely stress-free for us, especially knowing that travel by train is many times safer than travel by automobile. With baggage on wheels, elevators omnipresent, and plenty of room on the trains for baggage, we have no issue on the trains; more difficult is lifting baggage into the trunk of an automobile, and trying to make everything fit. And importantly for many people--ourselves included--the train is much more affordable than hiring a taxi or TNC service.