Vancouver Airport Transfers

go^uk

Do Royal Caribbean offer airport transfers to those passegers that have made their own airfare arrangements? If so, any idea how much they charge?

I will by flying into Vancouver for the Sept 17th Hubbard Glacier cruise and I am trying to figure out the best transport options. Post cruise, I will need to get back to the airport to pick up a rental car for a week of touring.

Many thanks

Go^

You can easily just grab a taxicab from the airport to the hotel, or the airport to the pier, or the pier to the airport. You needn't spend a lot for RCI transfers (and wait and wait for them, which happens sometimes); the airport, hotel area, and pier are all fairly close together. (a cab ride away)

We were on the Radiance, out of Vancouver, last May. The transfer was $20pp. I liked the part where they took us through Customs in a private area, in which we sped through. No mess, no hassles ... I'd do it again in a heartbeat!

But beware, the "Direct Transfer" with a speedy customs inspection is called "USA Direct"--it doesn't sound as though it would apply to a go^UK cruiser, and only applies if you are going from ship to airport on the same day. (Is this the direction you were referring to, LadyLawyer?) There is a website for the Vancouver airport: http://www.yvr.ca , with full info on shuttles to either downtown or the cruise piers (there are two different areas--Canada Place and Ballantyne Pier), cabs, etc. Frommers lists the YVR Airporter Bus as costing $12 CDN for adults; probably the least expensive direct service. BTW Go^, are you staying in Vancouver for the first part of your post-cruise tour? Most guide books suggest NOT renting a car until you are going out of the city because public transport is good, but parking is difficult and expensive. Perhaps other posters can give recent experiences specific to your situation if you give a little more info as to the airport you are coming in from and going out to.

Cheers!

Thanks for the elaboration, Grateful! Yes, we are Americans, and were going from the ship to YVR. I don't recall the transfer being called "USA Direct," but it's possible. I know we were directed to the International Lounge (after all, the USA is a "foreign country," in Canada). It seems like there would be more of a tie between Canada and UK but, again, it sounds like you have more experience with this.

Have a wonderful cruise! We did the same cruise last May/June, for our anniversary, and loved it. I used up almost an entire gig on my memory card for my camera.

I'd not bother with the transfers, grab a cab instead. The cab cost was around $25-30 each way (there were 4 of us), so not only was is far less costly, it was more time efficient. We stayed a couple days pre and post cruise, but stayed close to the port, so I would guess the cost is close to that.

Another option would be the Limojet service, for only a few $ more, there is limo service right outside the baggage claim area. It's around $50 CAD each way.

ladylawyer - As for a "foregin country" yes and no - US citizens definatley have the advantage, you only need proof of citizenship to enter Canada and if driving across the border usually only need a liscense.

US customs are also at all major Canadian airports to clear people before entering the US.

As for British citizens they are treated like any other foreign travellers, they need passports.

Do Royal Caribbean offer airport transfers to those passegers that have made their own airfare arrangements? If so, any idea how much they charge?

I will by flying into Vancouver for the Sept 17th Hubbard Glacier cruise and I am trying to figure out the best transport options. Post cruise, I will need to get back to the airport to pick up a rental car for a week of touring.

Many thanks

Go^

RCCL quoted to my travel agent that the cost of the transfer from the dock in Vancouver to the airport would be $25 per person. (This was 2 weeks ago.) She thought that was a bit high, so she called back, and they reconfirmed it would be $25 per person. We're seriously thinking of taking our chances and picking up a limo or taxi instead. By charging $25 per person, it's almost like RCCL is "punishing" those of us who prefer to make our own plane reservations, and not wait until 60 days prior to the cruise to find our what arrangements they've made for us!

Usually, RCI transfers are twice what you'd pay to do it on your own (just like many of their shore excursions, LOL!); plus you'll really think you're being punished if you get loaded on one of their buses (at the pier, upon debarkation) and wait and wait and wait for others to board.

Grabbing a cab is easy, quick and cheap in YVR.

We cruised Alaska last Sept, organized..used Limojet both ways..at $50 Cdn it gives you the control of your time...limos are right outside airport..easy call system at pier for return. we had several hours before our return flight east, so we contracted the same limo to tour sites in Vancouver...at flat rate of $50/hour..driver's first stop was to Tim Hortons for coffee..interesting experience pulling up to coffee shop in a limo for coffee..also had lots of time to stop for pictures in Stanley park. We were a group of 4.

Try searching from Vancouver airport home page for land transportation options...as with most airports there are links on the page.

Enjoy your cruise..

Archived