First time cruising questions

I have been reading posts on this board and have found it very useful. What did we all do before the internet?

My family (including two teenage sons), are heading off on our first cruise this summer in the mediterranean. :D We would appreciate your help to a few questions we have (with many more to follow I am sure) to help us think ahead of our trip.

1. What is the real difference in smart casual and formal? Do most men wear ties to smart casual, what will women wear for these nights.

2. How dressed up does the average teenager get for the formal nights?

3. How do you go about bookiing for the Chops and Portifino restaurants? What do people normally wear to these spots.

4. How do you fit all this clothing into your luggage for a 12 day cruise?

5. What type of food does the Seaview cafe serve?

6. How soon should you book the shore excursions?

7. Can you bring your own wine on board? We enjoy sampling from the different countries and this a great opportunity for us to try out new ones.

Thanks everyone for your comments.

I took this cruise last year with my 2 teenage girls and 1 20 year old boy -- we have cruised a number of times before, so packing was a little easier for us . we had 1 bag each, and a carry on each -- it was easier this way going through customs.

1.Smart casual is anything not shorts, jeans and T shirts. guys can wear Khaki's -- and collared shirts -- Ties not necessary. Polo shirts are fine.

2. YOu will see teenagers generally in blazers and dress shirt and ties -- though some will be in tuxes and suits. I forget if there are 3-4 formal nights, but I would guess your sons will be out of their formal clothes, and if they hang the shirts up -- you might only need 1-2 for the week.

3. Chops and Portofino's reservations at anytime -- they generally won't be too busy, I would wait to decide on reservations -- see how you like the dining room. We did this on one night, when the kids decided to eat casually that night. dress I think is smart casual ( possibly formal on formal nights, don't quote me -- but it is never casual)

4. Mix and match clothes -- wear things twice -- use laundry service when needed. Lucky for you that you have sons!!!!! For shore excursions, you will wear shorts and T shirts. Long pants for the Vatican ( but they sell paper ones -- so no problem if you forget)

5. book your shore excursions now, after researching on the Europe forum. If you are 4 people you might really enjoy a private driver for the day -- if you are interested in referrals, I can give you the names of the companies we used. We had some great private tours -- and really enjoyed them!! Our table mates had ship's tours, and were so jealous of us!! We were able to see so much more, and weren't tired from walking miles as the big tour buses couldn't get up close to most of the sites!

6. I think you can bring wine on board -- might charge a corkage fee in the dining room if you bring it there -- np in your room.

any other questions , I'd be glad to help.

I have a Cruise Check List, (packing list), I can e-mail you if you would like. It is to long to post here. I don't take everything that is on the list but it helps to check off the items when packing. Now having said that I have to confess I forgot most of my dress pant for our last cruise, and had to buy some at the first port of call. I thought my DW packed them and she thought I packed them.

Another tip is that you will only need half of the clothing you pack.

Here is a link for more information on packing.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/search.php?searchid=2977077

E-mail: LonW@elwalters.com

To help you out ;)

1. to add to BarbraM's answer women wear things similar to what one would wear to church or a company party. A nice pantset or blouse or even a nice cocktail dress.

2. Women tend to get dressier for formal night then men no matter the age. The ratio of ladies in traditional formal wear is signifigantlly (sp?) than men in traditional formal wear. I have seen many young ladies in full gown and dressy cocktail dresses. I have never seen a young man in a tux, but quite a few in suits, and many more in dress pants with a button up shirt, tie and jacket.

3. From what I have seen ,the dress for the restraunts are the same as they are in the dining room. You can make these reservations anytime, If youhave use of the conceriege, just let them know and they will do it for you. I would say make the reservation as soon as you can as they do fill up fast most of the time. Worst case situtation is you cancel your reservation. You can do this with 24 hours notice with no penelties.

4. another hint is to roll your clothing. I do alot of travleing and this by far is the most space saving method. Also make sure to leave some extra room in your luggage for goddies you will be bringing home with you. Fabreeze & wrinkle releaser come in handy.

5. I cannot answer this ? for you as I do not know LOL if is anything like the oterh ships the view is probally fabulous.

6. same thing as the specility resteraunts if you are booking them through RCCL, book them in advance you can cancel then with 24 notice. If booking though an independant tour guide make sure you kow their cancelation policy.

7. I dont really drink so I cant help you here. :p

ENJOY YOUR CRUISE!!!!

Another tip that I read somewhere... possibly here! Pack different people in different suitcases. In other words, don't pack one or two suitcases for each family member, in case your luggage gets lost, chances are not every bag will be lost and the person whose bag is lost will still have clothes packed in another's bag.

I hope that made sense... LOL. Pack different family clothing in every bag...

Dona

:)

Actually, RCL's definitions are:

1. Smart casual is Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women.

2. RCL appreciates your usual parental guidance and cooperation in observing these easy guidelines with your children. -- Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

3. Chops and Portofino's reservations at anytime -- There is a minimum age limit.

4. Mix and match clothes -- wear things twice -- use laundry service when needed. For shore excursions, you can wear shorts and T shirts. Long pants for the Vatican.

5. Book your shore excursions now, after researching on the Europe forum.

6. You might be able to bring wine on board, they have been cracking down on this more and more, lately. You might have to pay a corkage fee if you bring your own wine to the dining room.

Archived