Symphony OTS vs Wonder OTS? - Kids POV

My wife and I are looking at booking our next cruise on RC.  We have been on Oasis and Allure, but that was before we had kids.  For the sail dates we are considering our kids will be 3 and 5.  I know both Symphony and Wonder are almost identical, but the Adventure Ocean appears slightly different. 

We would be looking at getting a Boardwalk Balcony room, but have also kicked around spending the extra money to get the Ultra Spacious Ocean View Balcony because of the bunk beds and extra room in the cabin.

We would love to get some opinions on which ship & room would be better from a family cruise perspective.

With only one kid (4 years old), we like the Ultra Spacious w/Balcony. We do spend a little more time in the room than pre-kids since he needs some down time (doesn't nap, but some time where he's not using all his energy is useful to avoid being overtired at dinner) in the afternoon and he goes to bed earlier than we do. It all comes down to cost & value, though. This summer, we have one of the coveted US balconies on Deck 7 on Oasis. Next summer, we're doing a Surfside balcony on Icon because the value wasn't there in the price differences even with OV balconies.

Might be worth pricing connecting cabins and seeing how the price/value works for you, as well. That's another option we commonly look into, especially if there's any sailings that don't have the full solo supplement (which you wouldn't have to deal with).

The differences in AO wouldn't affect them at 3 & 5, that's really at 6+.

If I were in your shoes, my choice would be driven by length, itinerary and embarkation port. If I could snag an US balcony on the preferred sailing, I would...but I'd let the other factors drive the ship choice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CruiseAir747 said:

My wife and I are looking at booking our next cruise on RC.  We have been on Oasis and Allure, but that was before we had kids.  For the sail dates we are considering our kids will be 3 and 5.  I know both Symphony and Wonder are almost identical, but the Adventure Ocean appears slightly different. 

We would be looking at getting a Boardwalk Balcony room, but have also kicked around spending the extra money to get the Ultra Spacious Ocean View Balcony because of the bunk beds and extra room in the cabin.

We would love to get some opinions on which ship & room would be better from a family cruise perspective.

Harmony and Symphony are nearly identified.  Not sure it is accurate to say Wonder is nearly identical to Symphony.  

Were recently on Symphony with 2,5, and 7 year old.  Your kids should love Symphony.  Kids splash area is great for a 5 year old and probably for the 3 year old as well depending on how they like the water.  Perfect water slides for a 5 year old.  Not sure if 3 will be tall enough, but there is other splash zone stuff too.   They will likely love the boardwalk and the carousel.  

No idea about Wonder since I haven’t been on it. But I know it isn’t quite identical and it will definitely be more expensive all other things equal. 

Also check out prices for suites if you are willing to spend more for the ultra spacious. Sometimes the price isn’t that different between a grand suite and an ultra spacious balcony room.  You get a lot of nice benefits when in a site.  Also check out 2 cabins side by side.  This could be the same price as one ultra spacious, but you’ll then have 2 bathrooms.  Ours seemingly always need to go “really bad” at the same time. Two bathrooms is more than a convenient thing with little ones in such a scenario.  

Wonder of the Seas has a great outdoor playground which would be a hit with 3-5 year olds. I would pick it just for the playground. Splashaway bay will be almost identical, but you will at least have something dry they can do to burn off steam. And the bar is right next door. There’s also a climbing net thing on the boardwalk across from playmakers that kids enjoy a lot. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mia081081 said:

Wonder of the Seas has a great outdoor playground which would be a hit with 3-5 year olds.

I didn't realize that playground wasn't on Symphony too.  

1 hour ago, mia081081 said:

And the bar is right next door. 

Now THAT'S a selling point haha. Speaking my language!