Chefs Parade

kevcharben

7 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Britannia Christmas 2018 was the first cruise I'd been on in the Caribbean without it.  I think it possibly now wouldn't suit the "new" demographic.   Another sign of the times changing perhaps. 

Personally I'm not a fan of sailaway parties and can take or leave them however I did enjoy the enthusiasm for 4th July on Regal Princess last year which was just a big party. QM2 had a traditional sailaway for the Coronation, flags as well which were better quality and not plastic.  We were asked to keep them for reuse.

We enjoy the full ,patriotic,rule Britannia sailaways, but the coronation, less so.

The old British sailaways are entirely appropriate for Coronation cruises and British cruises. I don’t think they should be brought back in the Caribbean as they  smack of colonialism. The local steel band which played reggae and other Caribbean music was much better on my last one.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

QM2 had a traditional sailaway for the Coronation, flags as well which were better quality and not plastic.  We were asked to keep them for reuse.

We didn’t go to the sail-away on QM2, but did you see the firework display that the Port of Liverpool put on for us as we departed? Luckily our balcony was on the right side to watch it. The Liverpool themed music that they played prior to the display was also very enjoyable. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

We didn’t go to the sail-away on QM2, but did you see the firework display that the Port of Liverpool put on for us as we departed? Luckily our balcony was on the right side to watch it. The Liverpool themed music that they played prior to the display was also very enjoyable. 

Yes I very much enjoyed the fireworks and Liverpool music with the addition of Time to Say Goodbye.  I did go to the sailaway as it was the first "proper" Cunard one I'd been on since 2019.  It was well attended.  I spoke to a lot of Cunard newcomers on deck who were a little surprised that all the British songs etc were taking place day 1, they'd thought it would happen later near the actual Coronation.   

The sailaway was little changed from Cunard's traditional leaving of Gibraltar although the flag waving etc was a little tame compared with those heady days.

• Like 1