Stingray excursion in Nassau???

ogopogo

We're going to Nassau in January of 2007 and we were trying to decide between two of the excursions that Carnival offers the Pearl Island Stingray snorkeling adventure and Stingray adventure and beach break.....does anyone have any useful information on either that may help us chose the better excursion....the more stingray time the better I would assume.

Thanks for any input you may have.

We're going to Nassau in January of 2007 and we were trying to decide between two of the excursions that Carnival offers the Pearl Island Stingray snorkeling adventure and Stingray adventure and beach break.....does anyone have any useful information on either that may help us chose the better excursion....the more stingray time the better I would assume.

Thanks for any input you may have.

Pearl Island is a tiny little island off the eastern tip of Paradise Island. This tour includes snorkeling off a very nice reef, as well as interaction with the penned stingrays (I think there are about 7 of them).

There's a TINY slip of beach, a daiquiri bar, grill with Burgers/dogs, souvenier shop, restrooms and changing rooms. The island is very small and everything is compact. There's even a cute Lighthouse.

Blackbeards Cay is somewhat larger and a little more commercial. There about a dozen penned stingrays, but no snorkeling to speak of. The beach is bigger, LOTS of free chaise loungers, Beach Bar, Grill, souvenier and gift shops, outdoor showers and restrooms.

This is a larger area to explore, but as I said, no snorkeling if that is a criteria.

If you are looking to relax on the beach.. Blackbeards is the place, if you are looking for snorkeling.. then it's Pearl Island.

BlackBeards Cay Beach front

Blackbeardsbeach.jpg

Pearl Island Beach and Beach Bar

Beachbarview.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks scubagirrl. That answers one of my questions. The other has to do with the stingrays. The description mentions snorkeling with them. Do you have to do this or can you just wade in the pool with them?

Thanks scubagirrl. That answers one of my questions. The other has to do with the stingrays. The description mentions snorkeling with them. Do you have to do this or can you just wade in the pool with them?

You can just wade in at the shoreline. No problem.. they will come to you.

Scubagirrl....question for you please...

We want to go on the Yellowbird but don't know the times that are available, do you know how the scheduling works for that. We have an excursion booked with the dolphins at 3pm, but really want to go on the Yellowbird too...just need to know the times available. Also, I might have asked this before, I'm not sure...what is the island that the yellowbird goes to? Is it where the stingrays are? Do you think we can work this all out?

thanks, Lisa

Scubagirrl....question for you please...

We want to go on the Yellowbird but don't know the times that are available, do you know how the scheduling works for that. We have an excursion booked with the dolphins at 3pm, but really want to go on the Yellowbird too...just need to know the times available. Also, I might have asked this before, I'm not sure...what is the island that the yellowbird goes to? Is it where the stingrays are? Do you think we can work this all out?

thanks, Lisa

Depends on the day of the week, how many boats are in, and the times they arrive. Usually, the Yellowbird leaves the dock at 1pm and returns around 4:15 or so. Some days it goes to Blackbeards Cay, some days it's Pearl Island. (Both Island have stingrays available at an additional fee)

They occasionally do a morning tour, if the cruise ships book it.

Here's the number for United Cruises. They would know the schedule for the day you are at port.

United Cruises Ltd.

242 322-1340

fax 242 322 8779

We did the Snorkeling and I really enjoyed it. We rode a 45 minute boat ride to the Island...then spent an hoiur on the beach. We saw the "Stingray" group go into a fenced in area next to the beach (look to the right in the picture) and could see the stingrays as they swam and pulled them out of the water.

Each tour has a fenced in area to swim in.

After an hour, we walked to the lighthouse and got our snorkeling equipment andinstructions. We then entered the water in another fenced in area with lots of fish. It was a good basic beginners snorkel. If you are more experienced, you might want to try the Catamaran Snorkel that goes to a coral reef.

After snorkel, we returned to the beach, where the Stinray trip, Treasure Hunt trip, were already there. Then, the Yellowbird boat arrived and the beach was packed.

Hotdogs are $4 and a hamburger is $6. The Treasure Hunt tour is an all inculsive and they have a special concession stand withburger, dogs, and chicken. But that tour costs $105 while the snorkel or stingray are $45.

Archived