Saw the Travel Channel show on cruises last night

Correct, those outfits are not needed, but if you would like, many people still wear them anyway. There will be several people in Tuxes and Gowns, and other people in suits and Cocktail dresses, and some women in dressy (glitzy, sequenzy type) pant suits.

FYI - Travel channel will also be airing "Cruise Ship Secrets" the end of March - I think March 30th, but be sure to double check your local listings if interested. Goodness, I'm starting to sound like a TV commercial - do I get paid for this? ;)

I saw that show for the first time, and I didn't think it was really all that good. For the most part, everything that was said on there I have already seen on this site. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed watching it, but it wasn't nearly the best cruise show that I have seen on the Travel Channel.

From the six cruises I've been on that is about right. Some do dress formally but the majority do not.

I've only been on one cruise, but the majority did dress formally. LOTS of floor-length gowns (including myself) on the women. I didn't see a lot of tuxes on the men, but most were dressed very appropriately in nice suits. :)

the info was kind of lame, plus, why did they keep showing the SAME shots? seriously. I think I saw the same people walking the same stretch of deck like 5 times, and the same people walking the beach 3 or 4 times. I thought it was kind of lame that they only had reps from Norweigan and Windsail (or whatever that other one was, LOL).

As for our formal night attire, DH wore a suit and one night I wore an evening gown (that I actually purchased to be in a wedding, strapless, red satin, floor length) and the other a powder blue, chiffon, tank style dress with a wrap. It was fun! :)

It's always fun to dress up. The DH and the kids wear tux's always. Any I LOVE finding formal dresses to wear. Fun fun fun. I don;t know about the rest of you, but as a working mother of 2, going out to formal parties and such is something I don't get a chance to do. This is a great excuse to dress up and have fun. It's also a great opportunity to teach my children how to behave in social situations ( I can see all you people who dislike child cruisers screaming :eek: ). They love dressing up and trying new foods. So do I and I think, secretly, the DH does too, but he won't admit it. :rolleyes:

It's also a great opportunity to teach my children how to behave in social situations ( I can see all you people who dislike child cruisers screaming :eek: ). They love dressing up and trying new foods. :rolleyes:

PACURN, I totally agree. I only get to dress up 2 or 3 times a year. So I take advantage. DH just goes along with me to keep me happy. :D As for the kids, I have always taken my children out to nice dinners, etc. since they were very young. They can't learn proper behavior if they are not shown. My DS and DD even know the difference between chinese and japanese cuisine. I don't know many adults who can do that. I've even had to take my children to college classes with me. My professors (and other students) always want to know how I keep them so quiet. Trust me I do nothing, they just automatically know what is expected in which situation. Well anyways I digress, keep up the good work with the kids. They might not end up to be hoodlyms. ;)

Maybe not required but DW & I like to dress up. We get so few chances to. We go to the cabin @ 3:30 ish ( we always get early seating for dinner), take a couple drinks and take our sweet time. Actually I can be ready in 30 min. DW needs the time, LOL, but man does she look great. Love getting those formal pics.

the expects said you don't have to wear fancy clothes to the formal nights on ships like carnival. She said suits for men and dresses for women but no tuxs or gowns to the floor are needed. She said Carnival is not a lux ship so those outfits are not needed.

I saw the same show (& have seen it several times) - I'll have to look at it again. (I tape these shows, so when I need a "cruise fix" I can watch one!:D) I don't remember them sounding like Carnival was not as "fancy" as other cruise lines. I know they referred to the fact that most people on Carnival don't wear tuxes & LONG gowns on Carnival - but I did see both last week on the Legend. Also, when I cruised 11/03, our group of 35+ people mostly wore tuxes & gowns on formal nights & many wore suits & dresses on non-formal nights.

This cruise show is a few years old & The trend has been for women's formalwear to be shorter, anyway. I have noticed in the stores that recently the trend is going longer again. A Dark Suit is always fine for the men (even on the "fancier" cruise lines) and a "dressy dress" is fine for the women - of course everyone's definition of "dressy" or "fancy" is a bit different. My sisters wore black dress slacks & fancy, spangly tops (while I wore dresses each night to dinner - of varying "fanciness"). It's all fine. I don't think ANY cruise line, regardless of how "fancy", REQUIRES that people wear tuxes & long gowns.

Sha

..... It's also a great opportunity to teach my children how to behave in social situations ( I can see all you people who dislike child cruisers screaming :eek: ). They love dressing up and trying new foods.....

The only child cruisers I dislike are the children whose parents have NOT taught their kids how to behave. Which does not sound like your kids! The fact that you can get them to wear tuxes & try new food....kudos!

Sha

Thanks for the positive words Sharon. I'm proud that my kids know how to behave out in public. It came out of necessity. We have no family around to help out with babysitting, so it was take the kids or don't go. They go everywhere with us. I can't imagine going anywhere without them.

It's a wonderful experience for them to see how other coutries are and how the people live. Not everyone is as lucky as we are. It's not knowledge that can be taken out of a text book.

I suppose I'm an oddball, but DH and I love to NOT dress formally. We're in our 50's & have been there-done that. When we left the fast life & moved to the Keys 5 years ago, I swore that, after dressing in suits every day for 25 years, I would never wear pantyhose again!:) We both work full time still, but casual clothes & flip-flops are fine here (and I'm an admministrator!). Kino's & Crocs are "de riguer" here, lol. We loved our NCL cruise because we didn't have to go to the designated formal room for dinner & could dine in smart casual clothing. We'll be on our first Carnival Cruise and are still pondering what to do. We still have plenty of formal clothes from our "other" life and past cruises, but we may still do alternate dining to avoid the formal. Viva la differance!

Patrice, I'm a flip flop girl myself. I got in big trouble with that on another thread a few months ago. :eek: . As you can see I have traveled mainly on Carnival, due to the fact that I have kids, and you will be fine with what ever you wear. There are many who dress up because they like to like me. Then there are those who don't go for the long formal look and they are fine too. The point is YOU are on vacation so wear whatever makes YOU happy. It's all about you my freind. Enjoy.

Archived