Toddlers in cabins

jherrin3

My DW and our DD (age 1 1/2) are booked in an outside cabin with a third pullman bed. Since we don't plan to use the pullman for our daughter, we're still worried about her falling out of the lower bed. Does anyone reccomend a good portable bed rail that would work with the beds in the cabin? (I've noticed most bedrails have some sort of arm attachment that passes through the center of the bed - will this work on a cruise bed??)

Thanks for your help!

Choirguy

To my knowledge, most bedrails specifically are made only to be used with a regular bed. Otherwise, it could be a safety hazard.

I remember reading about someone who turned the couch around to face the wall -- making a "crib". This could be a possible solution. Also, your daughter may still be small enough to sleep in a Pack-n-Play.

My DW and our DD (age 1 1/2) are booked in an outside cabin with a third pullman bed. Since we don't plan to use the pullman for our daughter, we're still worried about her falling out of the lower bed. Does anyone reccomend a good portable bed rail that would work with the beds in the cabin? (I've noticed most bedrails have some sort of arm attachment that passes through the center of the bed - will this work on a cruise bed??)

Thanks for your help!

Choirguy

I think that you have a few options.

Not sure if you mean that one parent and DD will share the lowers and other parent in upper, or all three in the lower - either way, have the lowers made into a queen PUSHED AGAINST THE WALL - DD sleeps against the wall, with a parent on the outside, and then she can't fall off. Just make sure she can't fall between the bed and the wall into any gap, and make sure the bed is heavy enuf that it wont shift away from the wall slightly during the night - stuffing extra pillows into any gap usually works pretty well.

If you leave the lowers as twins - any portable bedrail should work (make sure it fits in your suitcase :rolleyes: ) with the lowers because they are usually normal heavy mattresses and will hold the bottom of the bed rail. The only issue you'd have is if you used the bed rail with a foldup cot or sofa bed - their mattresses are too light to support the bedrail.

If there is a chair in your room, you can also put that against the bed as an added barrier, although if its not especially heavy, it won't actually hold her in - just provide a warning that she's at the edge. If you can wedge the chair against a nightable or something, it might be more useful.

We have one like this

http://www.epinions.com/kifm-Safety-Bed_Rails-Safety_1st_Portable_Bed_Rail

We've used it successfully in hotels and will be bringing it along on our cruise next month.

. . . we are.

I worry more about my 3 y.o. and 13 y.o. sharing the pull out bed. They both sleep like "whirling dervishes". I'm afraid there will be injuries in the a.m. (lol) (and I'm sure my 3 y.o. would fall out).

. . . so we are going to have 13 y.o. sleep on the pull out bed and are bringing my 3 y.o. an "ultra-cool" blow up (air pump included) spiderman bed he picked out at Target. He is already sooo excited about sleeping in it.

We don't cruise until June, but are going to test it out in a hotel over Spring Break. Hope it works or I'll be back to square one.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise!

Ask for a crib.my son and daughter both stayed in cribs on cruises until they were well over 2-safety first,especially if you hit rough water.

True. Probably better for that age. Most cruiselines I believe use pack-n-plays. Disney did when my son was 6 m.o.

BTW - the sides of the blowup bed, blow up larger to simulate a bed rail. Only reason I am using it. Don't want my precious angel unsafely rolling around the cabin floor in case of rough seas.

Thanks everyone for your replies!

Are the onboard cribs the standard pack and play size, or more like the mini ones? (we have both a standard size pack and play which she still fits in, and a mini one that she's outgrown).

Also, Is there enough floor space in an oceanview cabin for the inflatable bed without breaking you neck going to the bathroom in the middle of the night?

Thanks!

Choirguy

Archived