Cozumel vs Grand Cayman for first time diver

Jimbo34

We are first time divers looking ad taking a Discover Scuba dive. I have heard many folks say Cayman Diving is the best while Cozumel diving is the best. What do you experienced divers say?

From what I have been reading, it appears that Grand cayman would likely be best this time around being that the Discover Scuba in Coz (thru the ship because of the tender issues) only goes to 25 feet and due to Wilma, the dive will not be as good.

Suggestions? Dive shop Recommendations? Checked out Eden Rock, but they are booked on our day...

Thanks in advance....

All discover scuba dives are limited to 25-30 feet unless the dive master has no concern with safety. a lot of the dive sites at Cozumel will be drift dives because the current runs between the mainland and Cozumel island and you would be diving between the two. I would suggest trying the dive at Grand Caymen.

Ignore the issue of Wilma or any other hurricane having damaged the reefs. Both Cozumen and Grand Caymen have had damage over the last couple of years. Unless you are very familiar with what the conditions were before the hurricanes, you probably won't notice any degradation.

However, one word of warning, once you go in, you will be adicted and will then have to spend a lot of money to get certified, buy equipment and go on other dives.:D

Happy bubbles.

For the first time divers I would recommend Cozumel. This was my first dive after certification. The main reason I recommend this is because in Cozumel you do drift diving. This will allow you to focus on your buoyancy and getting comfortable while in the water while still seeing all your surrounding without having to kick much at all.

If you have never been to Grand Cayman, you may want to consider doing a scuba trip to Stingray City - a very easy dive and way cool experience with the stingrays. This, hands down, would be my choice for a discover scuba experience.

Cozumel is also a good choice, but as a newbie, you could have issues with the stiff current even in 30 feet of water, especially if you end up in the water after 11am. The best stuff is in water deeper than where a DM will take you at either port. All shallow reefs in both ports sustained a lot of damage.

Good luck.

You will see tons of fish, and people are a lot nicer than Dive Shops in Grand Cayman . . . stay away from Pappa Hoggs . . I think we dove with Eagle Ray, .

I have dove both places twice and the third time we were in Grand Cayman I didnt even want to dive because of the way the dive shops treat people and also we just didnt see that much in GC,

Have Fun

I'd pick Grand Cayman because the shallower sites you are likely to visit for a Discover Scuba dive are in better condition than on Cozumel, at least for the next year or so.

There are other dive shops other than Eden Rock that offer discover scuba. http://abanksdivers.com.ky/ is also at the Eden Rock dive site. Also consider http://www.divetech.com Their turtle farm site is better than the Eden Rock dive site.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived