Messina to Taormina

Cruisingmarmi

I'd like to take the train from Messina to Taormina for the day on 10 Nov. 

We took an NCL tour last year "Taormina On Your Own", but it isn't offered this year. It basically was a bus ride there, about 3 hours of free time, then the return trip to the port.  

I've read that you can take a train, then get a bus up the hill to Taormina. Has anyone done this successfully? 

I realize we'd also have to get from the port to the train station. I'm hoping to get details of the logistics of doing this. Thanks in advance for any help?

From the port to Messina Centrale train station is an easy, short walk of about 1 km/three-quarters of a mile.

You can now purchase one ticket from Trenitalia that includes both the train and the bus up to Taormina.  Simply enter Taormina Centro as your destination and you'll get both.  The trip takes between and hour and a quarter and two hours, depending on the connection timing.  For example, there is a train at 9:15 that arrives to the center of Taormina at 10:28, the trip costs 6,30 euro.

The train can't sell out as it is not capacity controlled (no seat assignments) but the bus can.

Even so, I would wait until at least the day before, when you have a good sense of the weather forecast, because the tickets are not refundable.  Would you still want to go if it was pouring down rain?  If not, wait to purchase.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

From the port to Messina Centrale train station is an easy, short walk of about 1 km/three-quarters of a mile.

You can now purchase one ticket from Trenitalia that includes both the train and the bus up to Taormina.  Simply enter Taormina Centro as your destination and you'll get both.  The trip takes between and hour and a quarter and two hours, depending on the connection timing.  For example, there is a train at 9:15 that arrives to the center of Taormina at 10:28, the trip costs 6,30 euro.

Thank YOU, euro cruiser! This is what we'll do!