Vancouver Hotel, Auberge -- a couple of questions

VennDiagram

We are thinking about staying here pre cruise May 2024.  It appears to be pretty convenient to the things we need, primarily a little retail shopping (Burrard St.) and to the cruise port.  My main question is about the area, in the evenings.  It seems to be surrounded by office buildings.  Are the streets safe in the evenings (it would be a Saturday)? And the park that is nearby seems like it might be a place that people would hang out -- is that an accurate impression?

Any comments on the hotel itself would be appreciated, too.  Thanks.

I can't comment on the hotel, but the area is great for your pre-cruise experience of Vancouver. The area is as safe as any in downtown, meaning you may see the odd beggar or homeless person, but they aren't agressive or intrusive.  You would need to venture east of Cambie street (5 or 6 blocks east of Auberge) to find any truly overt drug use and "seedyness"

Lots of great shopping along Burrard and Robson street, plenty of food options (another thread on CC speaks to MANY options in this area) and if the weather is nice, take a stroll along the waterfront, watch the float planes take off and land. 

• Thanks 1

That's a great area within walking distance to the main downtown shopping areas.  Don't walk past Seymour Street unless you plan on going to Gastown, and this case walk along Cordova Street. Vancouver gets pretty seedy past Seymour.  The park you speak of isn't really a park; it's more of a town square--mostly concrete with planters.  You'll be able to walk the Canada Place the morning of your cruise. 

Can't speak to next year, but when I was in Vancouver this year, the effects of the pandemic weren't as bad as other west coast cities.  The shopping district was still bustling and people were out and about.  There are some homeless people around, but it no where near as bad as the urban parts of California.

• Thanks 1

I would consider the area safe. It's quieter but I wouldn't consider the area sketchy.  You have more activity a block or two over closer to the waterfront or Burrard Street.

However, I'd probaby describe the area beside the hotel more of a greenspace than a park.  It's a handy pedestrian thoroughfare that allows people to go from Canada Place toward Hornby Street instead of going the long way around.  Very busy during the week and less busy during the weekends and evenings.  

There are some tables and seats (at least during the day) to allow people to enjoy their coffee or lunch.  But you do occasionally get some homeless people mixed in, hanging out on a bench.  Again, I wouldn't consider it unsafe.  

If you are referring to Harbour Green Park by the water, it's a very popular area to enjoy.  There's a lot of residental housing behind it.  Again, you may encounter the odd homeless person sleeping on a bench but we've comfortably walked that part of the seawall very late into the evening.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1