Passport for Kids?

I have read the information about kids and passports. It is very shady or not very clear on the requirements. We have original birth certs. That should be all that we need. Although you don't want to get to check in and find out that you needed something else.

any horror stories,:eek: or am I in the clear with birth certs?:o

thx, in advance

I have read the information about kids and passports. It is very shady or not very clear on the requirements. We have original birth certs. That should be all that we need. Although you don't want to get to check in and find out that you needed something else.

any horror stories,:eek: or am I in the clear with birth certs?:o

thx, in advance

Im assuming your going to the caribbean? Birth Certificates will be fine however, it would be a good idea to get them passports anyway since Dec 31, 06 is the deadline. Unless it's changed yet again, you will need passports in 07'

I thought it did change again. Didn't I read here yesterday that it changed to 08? I am off to look for it now.

Edited to say....this is the new guidelines. I got this by going to the RCCL site, then clicking on "What you need to know" (but that says 1/1/06), so I clicked on the link there and that says...

http://www.travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

New Requirements for Travelers

The Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004 requires that by January 1, 2008, travelers to and from the Caribbean, Bermuda, Panama, Mexico and Canada have a passport or other secure, accepted document to enter or re-enter the United States. In order to facilitate the implementation of this requirement, the Administration is proposing to complete it in phases following a proposed timeline, which will be published in the Federal Register in the near future.

This is a change from prior travel requirements and will affect all United States citizens entering the United States from countries within the Western Hemisphere who do not currently possess valid passports. This new requirement will also affect certain foreign nationals who currently are not required to present a passport to travel to the United States. Most Canadian citizens, citizens of the British Overseas Territory of Bermuda, and to a lesser degree, Mexican citizens will be affected by the implementation of this requirement.

This is a little confusing. What you cut and pasted is indeed what the state department's web site states. But that statement is referring to the total implementation of the act.

The act, however, is being implementated in phases. If you will look at the press release section, it gives the proposed implementation dates for the phases.

Essentially the passport requirements for all travel by air or sea are effective Dec 31, 2006.

Then border crossing by land from Canada and Mexico take effect Dec 31, 2007.

There are different phases depending on how you are traveling into the country, such as by cruise, car, etc. The new passport requirements for Caribbean cruises go into effect as of 1/1/07. This is the last year that you can just use your birth certificate/drivers license.

The 2008 date is for border crossings by car.

Passports will be required for cruising after Dec. 31, 2006

Any cruise leaving on or after Jan 01, 2007 you will need a passport, that includes infants children & adults, no exceptions. So if your cruise departs in Dec but you're returning after Dec 31st and you don't have passport you will be denied boarding. :eek:

For boarder crossing from US to Canada or Mexico a passport will be mandatory starting Jan 1, 2008.

Passports will be required for cruising after Dec. 31, 2006

Any cruise leaving on or after Jan 01, 2007 you will need a passport, that includes infants children & adults, no exceptions. So if your cruise departs in Dec but you're returning after Dec 31st and you don't have passport you will be denied boarding. :eek:

For boarder crossing from US to Canada or Mexico a passport will be mandatory starting Jan 1, 2008.

Thanks Linda. Then we'll need passports for my 2 children.

which boat are you going on? we leave on april 2nd. I did not get passports for my kids, but did so for myself and DH.

sandy

We are on Mariner of the Seas. And you don't need passports for your kids this year. As soon as we return April 9 we are going to apply for our kids passports for next years cruise.

Sandy, which ship are you on?

Both parents will need to be present when applying for a passport for a minor. The minor does not need to be there if they are under 14.

Actually it says "all persons, regaurdless of age must appear in person"

Just got pps for my children and they indeed wanted tht children to be present.

Ok, now I am confused. One poster says it's 1/1/06, then the very next one says 07. Which is it because I don't want the OP to have problems in 06?

So confusing. :(

The poster that said 1/1/06 was referring to Royal Caribbean's web site. They have not updated their information yet. The poster that quoted the 2008 date didn't read through on the steps of implementing the full policy. Here is what they now say but tomorrow it can change. If I remember right you have a cruise coming up real soon, take it with the birth certificates then get passports when you get back for your 2007 cruise.

http://www.travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2225.html

What is the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative?

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative will require all travelers, including U.S. citizens, to and from the Americas, the Caribbean, and Bermuda to have a passport or other accepted document that establishes the bearer’s identity and nationality to enter or re-enter the United States. This is a change from prior travel requirements. The goal is to strengthen border security and facilitate entry into the United States for U.S. citizens and legitimate foreign visitors.

Who will the Travel Initiative affect?

The travel document initiative will affect all United States citizens traveling within the Western Hemisphere, who will now be required to carry a passport or other accepted document.

It will also affect certain foreign nationals who currently are not required to present a passport to travel to the United States namely most Canadian citizens, citizens of the British Overseas Territory of Bermuda and Mexican citizens.

When will the Travel Initiative be implemented?

In the proposed implementation plan, which is subject to a period of initial public comment, the Initiative will be rolled out in phases, providing as much advance notice as possible to the affected public to enable them to meet the terms of the new guidelines. The proposed timeline will be as follows:

• December 31, 2006 – Requirement applied to all air and sea travel to or from Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda.
  • December 31, 2007 – Requirement extended to all land border crossings as well as air and sea travel.

I thought there was an additional phase to be implemented on December 31, 2005. Is this a change?

In April 2005, the Departments of State (DOS) and Homeland Security (DHS) announced a proposed plan to be implemented in three phases beginning on December 31, 2005 for the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative. After further review and considering the delay in publishing the public notice in the Federal Register, DOS and DHS recognized that implementing the December 31, 2005, phase would be problematic for travelers during the upcoming winter tourism season. This change will simplify the implementation and provide a longer lead-time for travelers to come into compliance with the requirements.

Be nice if they made up their mind's but everyone know it's coming so work it in when you can.

BonVoyage

Dawna

Until Dec. 31, 2006, you do not need passports in domestic cruises, that is, cruises departing and ending in American ports. You do need them in international sailings.

Begining in Jan. 1st. 2007 you will need passports in all sailings, domestic or international.

have passports. They have to be present to get them.

The law is changing as of 12/31/2006.

Under 16 both parents need to be there OR you can have a notarized statement from the parent that can't make it saying it's ok.

Under 16 the passport is good for 5 years

16 and over it's good for 10.

Also, a passport makes it easier to get though customs. ;) My parents (in their 70's) got their passport upon my insisting, they love having them. They went to Turks and there were two lines, Birth Certificate and Passport. They were at the hotel and in the pool before the couple they were traveling with got though the BC line.

Ok, now I am confused. One poster says it's 1/1/06, then the very next one says 07.
Use this board as a reference, but when the facts are needed, go to the source for the correct information. One poster says, "The minor does not need to be there if they are under 14.", another, "all persons, regaurdless of age must appear in person." The state department web site sez:

For All Minors Under Age 14 :

• Each minor child shall appear in person.

Most on this board want to be helpful, but thorough research is also necessary

Under 16 both parents need to be there OR you can have a notarized statement
Actually, it's under 14.

5. Present Parental Application Permission Documentation (for minors under age 14)

1. Both parents must appear together and sign or

2. One parent appears, signs, and submits second parent's notarized statement ....

Archived