Bringing formals.

We have thought about just rolling up our formal wear in the suitcase so that we don't have to bring a garment bag with us. Can they be sent out to get cleaned and pressed and be back in time for first formal night? We are on a 7 day and I think the first sea day is formal.

Pressing on board is relatively inexpensive (1/2 the charge of drycleaning), and even that's cheaper than what I can do it for on land! If you give it to your room steward the first nite of the cruise (or I think even up 'til 9 a.m.), they will have it in your stateroom the following evening. And, they do a great job!

Michele

Try packing your clothes in a dry cleaners bag or the bags they put over the clothes when you buy them. It truly helps prevent wrinkles. We have done this for 9 cruises and have never had to send anything out to be pressed.

I guess I am in the minority here. I just put mine in zip lock bags! LOL

I am always worried that something will get on my dresses from my suitcase. (Or someone elses) I almost never need to press them, but they are usually the type of dresses that can be rolled up anyhow :) Dave's suit is another story.... that gets packed on a hanger to try to eliminate wrinkles.

Press only prices are very reasonable on RCCL. We usually do that for anything that needs serious ironing.

Here you go Fan -

SHIPBOARD LAUNDRY SERVICE

* All prices are in US. Dollars and are subject to change without notice.

MEN WOMEN

Shirt/T-Shirt:$2.50

Blouse:$3.50

Shirt (dress):$3.00

Dress (wash):$5.00

Underwear:$1.20

Skirt:$3.50

Jeans:$3.00

Nightgown:$3.00

Pajamas:$4.00

Swimsuit:$2.00

Handkerchif:$0.75

Slip:$2.50

Shorts:$2.50

Housecoat:$3.50

Bathrobe:$3.50

Hosiery:$3.50

Pants (wash):$3.50

Slacks:$3.50

Sweatshirt:$3.00

Socks:$1.00

PRESS ONLY - 50% of cleaning prices SHIPBOARD DRY CLEANING SERVICES * All prices are in US. Dollars and are subject to change without notice.

MEN WOMAN

Suit:$7.00

Evening Gown:$8.00

Pants:$4.25

Dress$7.00

Jacket:$4.50

Silk Blouse:$5:00

Sweater:$4.00

Silk Dress:$8.00

Coat:$7.00

Skirt$4.50

Tie:$2.00

Suit:$7.50

Shirt:$3.50

Blouse:$4.00

Shorts:$3.00

Scarf:$2.50

Vest$2.50

Silk Pajamas:$4.50

PRESS ONLY - 50% of cleaning prices Please note: We do not provide irons in the staterooms as they constitute a fire hazard.

I use lots of tissue and careful layering to pack things that wrinkle, including formal wear. I place a couple of sheets of white tissue paper on the bed, lay out the first piece (whatever is heaviest/least prone to wrinkling). If it's very susceptible to wrinkling, I put a piece or two of tissue inside the garment. More tissue on top, then the next item of clothing. Once everything is laid out, I add more tissue to the areas where the folds will be on the top layer, and then carefully fold the items. First fold in any sleeves (more tissue!), then bring the hem of any dresses/skirts up about 1/3 of the way, fold the top of the garments down about 1/3 of the way, and you're likely left with a package that will fit pretty neatly into a small-medium suitcase. I put more tissue on the bottom of the suitcase, and more on top, as well as fill in any empty spots to prevent slippage. I've taken some pretty delicate items this way, and nothing has ever needed ironing. I just store the tissue paper in my suitcase when I get home and use it over and over again.

It sounds more complicated than it is. It only takes me a few minutes to pack that suitcase. :)

TKinAN

I like the idea of folding in the tissue paper so not to have wrinkles, but don't the people at the airport tear all that apart when they search??:eek: I would hate to go to all that trouble just to have it all come out wrinkled when I get there.

You'll get them back in plenty of time. I used the Tissue Paper plus Dry Cleaners Bag method and it worked wonderfully. By the time formal night came my silk dress had only a couple small wrinkles and a steam while I took a shower took care of that.

with 3 gowns, a dark suit with 3 dress shirts, 3 short sleeve shirts & sportscoat with slacks are in the garment bag. We also bring a steamer to freshen wrinkled clothing or to wear a 2nd time if not dirty with a touch of vodka in the water. Performers taught us this to remove any odor.

The other 2 30" suitcases carry all are other clothing. Carry on carries all toiletries, makeup, shaving needs, electric toothburshes.

TKinAN

I like the idea of folding in the tissue paper so not to have wrinkles, but don't the people at the airport tear all that apart when they search??:eek: I would hate to go to all that trouble just to have it all come out wrinkled when I get there.

I haven't had it happen. Maybe they just look in my suitcase and feel like it's not worth the trouble for them. :p I can see your point, though. I think I'd do it anyway, and if it did get messed up, just cough up the $$$ for the on-board pressing. Also, if they pre-x-ray the bags, there is absolutely nothing suspicious in there; it's all clothes. I think that may make it less likely to be subject to search. Of course, this probably means that this flight will be the one where they tear my bags apart. Thanks a lot! ;)

It seems our bags are always searched and getting the TSA sticker on the outside is now the norm for us. I've taken to packing everything in ziplock bags (various sizes) as I don't like the customs guys go through all of my stuff.

Back to the OP's question - yes, you will get your gowns/suits back in time. I've given up trying to iron everything before we go, and somehow pack without getting wrinkles. Now while we unpack, I take what needs to be pressed and immediately put it in the laundry bag and send it out. Your clothes will be returned about 4:00 - 4:30 the following day.

Enjoy your cruise,

We decided to have things pressed on board. Sent DH's dress shirt for pressing the day we got there and had it back for formal night the next night. Then sent it for cleaning and had it back in time. Great job. Reasonable price...much cheaper than on shore.

Archived