Celebrity and Celiac/Gluten Free

sbaker

On 7/25/2023 at 5:35 AM, bjahil47 said:

The ice cream is gf.  I was told the gelato at the Gelateria is not gf.  I researched and it could have gluten in it so I stay away from it.  The French fries in Luminae are coated and are not gf but I heard you can get gf fries and burgers at mast grill.  Macarons and macaroons are gf.  I usually ask for them to make me macaroons If I don’t see them out.  They bring them to my room and last until end of cruise.

Gelato selection on the Apex at the Oceanview is labelled gluten free. 

IMG_8600.png

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Boatharbour said:

Gelato selection on the Apex at the Oceanview is labelled gluten free. 

IMG_8600.png

Good to know! It was not labeled on our last cruise!  I will check it out in September!  Thanks!

1 minute ago, bjahil47 said:

Good to know! It was not labeled on our last cruise!  I will check it out in September!  Thanks!

I haven’t tried the gelato but the ice cream is good. 

Overall I’ve been happy with my GF experience on board. Having said that it was a bit disappointing to come back on board this afternoon and find a large range of cakes and sweets available in the OV for afternoon snacking,  but only cups of orange jelly in the GF corner. 

16 hours ago, Boatharbour said:

I haven’t tried the gelato but the ice cream is good. 

Overall I’ve been happy with my GF experience on board. Having said that it was a bit disappointing to come back on board this afternoon and find a large range of cakes and sweets available in the OV for afternoon snacking,  but only cups of orange jelly in the GF corner. 

There were a huge range of gf cakes in OV in June on Silhouette. 

2 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Ok, it is a strange sign , 

They should shown the no gluten on the signage , 

I must admit I was initially confused. At first I thought just about everything in the OV was GF until I saw the pasta was also “marked” as GF. My mistake.

When I asked the food and beverage manager for clarification he explained that four categories of allergies / intolerances appear on every food label. A second symbol then appears above the relevant word.
If you look at the photo from my previous posts, you can see a grain symbol above the word gluten free. That means it’s gluten free, but not lactose free, sugar free etc. 

• Thanks 2

I too bring my own gf bread sticks because it's hard watching everyone else eat those yummy breadsticks and I can't have them!  Thankfully I'm just intolerant and not celiac.  I'm not sure why they don't have individually wrapped breads and such like they do in Europe.  So much easier!  I used to watch the people take the bread out with the same gloves they had been using on regular breads and put it in the special toaster using the same tongs that they used on the regular bread.  Like I said for me it wasn't a problem but I used to tell them listen you can't use the same tongs or gloves with the gluten free bread as you do with the regular bread.  Now they have moved it to a specific place and the person there changes his gloves and uses a special toaster and special tongs.  A lot of it is a communication problem but I have found them to be very accommodating.  As for desserts I have asked them to bring me a child's dessert because they have chocolate mousse on their dessert menu!