Carnival Corporation tracks 10 million pieces of data its 92 ships generate daily

Destiny0315

9 minutes ago, ldtr said:

Clearly they cannot be using all of that data because their web sites have problems 🙃

Well yes tracking it is one thing but what you do with that data is another. So far their use of it and new technologies on three ships seems to be working well but with 89 to go the challenge is beyond huge!

Edited by Destiny0315

34 minutes ago, Destiny0315 said:

Well yes tracking it is one thing but what you do with that data is another. So far their use of it and new technologies on three ships seems to be working well but with 89 to go the challenge is beyond huge!

They are already using it. Just had lunch with the IT officer on board. As he described it, the Azure project is to function as a central repository for data that is already collected and used by each of the existing lines.  Not much new capability as far as each line is concerned, but does allow data to be exchanged between lines and business intelligence to look across all lines. 

For example Princess looks at its passenger demographics, but does not have easy access to if it's passengers also sail on other lines. With this data system that type data will be much more easily obtained.

A lot of the data is from the operations side. This new system will make it easier for personnel to move between lines and more leveraging of contracts between lines.

The article mostly talks about bigger infrastructure and systems tracking.  The fact that these lines DON'T have one system after 30+ years of being co-owned is shocking.  I understand these things take time and money, but, unless they have a back end that can combine and analyze the data (which it doesn't sound like) then I'm shocked.

This article doesn't mention passenger data besides demographics.  Of course they are gathering info.  That's why they ask your cabin number when you walk into the main dining room.  I'm not one that believes they are looking at ME, but my demo of person - where do I eat, when do I eat, what days do I eat where. What do I drink?  Some of this is for inventory planning. I'm sure they also do - well only 4% of the people ordered the pasta dish tonight - and they're all people in their 40's...

The data is there.  What they do with it will hopefully lead to a better journey down the road.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, VermeulT said:

This article doesn't mention passenger data besides demographics.  Of course they are gathering info.  That's why they ask your cabin number when you walk into the main dining room.  I'm not one that believes they are looking at ME, but my demo of person - where do I eat, when do I eat, what days do I eat where. What do I drink?  Some of this is for inventory planning. I'm sure they also do - well only 4% of the people ordered the pasta dish tonight - and they're all people in their 40's...

The data is there.  What they do with it will hopefully lead to a better journey down the road.

I agree - very much required for inventory planning purposes.

We were on a Celebrity cruise in the spring and attended a "navigation" info session (like a the Q&A with the captain type of session  except this was geared to things related to navigation of cruise ships. He spent some time talking about what goes into the planning of itineraries from start to finish. One of the things he then talked about was the fact that they project something something like 2-3 years in advance food and beverage requirements for a proposed itinerary based on have very good estimate the percentages for nationalities, ages and such (along with the related associated eating and drinking patterns)

• Like 1