Roaming charge for Internet while on board

jillfeng85

Some people said that you'd better turn on airplane mode as soon as you board the cruise to avoid hefty roaming charges (is this true for Azamara), while others say that you can buy e-sim card ahead of time and try to use the signal from land. For my upcoming trip with Azamara, If I have my original T mobile sim card in (from US) and have a European e-sim (dual sim card), I can turn off my T mobile data plan and try to use the European e-sim data? 

Thank you very much, 

2 hours ago, jillfeng85 said:

Some people said that you'd better turn on airplane mode as soon as you board the cruise to avoid hefty roaming charges (is this true for Azamara), while others say that you can buy e-sim card ahead of time and try to use the signal from land. For my upcoming trip with Azamara, If I have my original T mobile sim card in (from US) and have a European e-sim (dual sim card), I can turn off my T mobile data plan and try to use the European e-sim data? 

Thank you very much, 

You should use WiFi calling when onboard for everything, but you will need to enable airplane mode to use it.  T-Mobile supports it.  On shore, simply disabling only the native e-sim data may leave you open to charges for texts and phone calls (both incoming and out going, including any spam calls), and they are expensive.  But I don't know exactly how European e-sim cards work in that regard. There are some apps that will get around that, but I don't use them. I don't know what T-Mobile plan you have but ours includes all texts and high speed data up to 5GB per month per line in 215 foreign countries (low speed data after that) onshore, with a $0.25 per minute charge for phone calls so we have not needed a European e-sim card.  There are also other T-Mobile plans for international travel. WiFi calling uses your US plan as its foundation.

Edited by 1985rz1
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, jillfeng85 said:

Thank you very much, 

I use a regional european e-sim that I purchase through Airalo.  Just turn off your normal sim in settings, and yes you can leave it in as long as you turn it off....but I am a worry wart.... so I just take my sim card out to be really sure I'm not going to be hit with roaming fees.   Just don't lose it (like I did the first time). 😉  I get a 75% discount on my onboard wifi so I just buy that too for when I'm on the ship as it only costs me $5 per day....but honestly on most european itineraries you have very few sea days so it really wouldn't be necessary.

Edited by Xcelsior

It has gotten much easier to use your own phone while traveling than it was years ago. I have T-Mobile, which I use very freely for internet and texting while in port. I turn my phone to airplane mode when we leave the port. When I can easily see the dock at the next port, I turn airplane mode off and go back my regular T-Mobile service. I rarely need to talk with anyone while I'm traveling, but, while in port, I can always use my $.25 a minute T-Mobile cell service or make a call using an internet phone service like WhatsApp. Many people in the travel industry ( car services, tour guides, etc) use WhatsApp for business calls. As for calls at sea, I never needed to do that, but I others have said that the internet phone services work using internet on board. If I want internet access at sea, I use my Azamara free internet minutes. Most times, I don't use all of them. I have never had a European sim card. I believe that only gives you free calls/internet etc in Europe. If you aren't calling anyone in Europe, you wouldn't need that card.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 1985rz1 said:

You should use WiFi calling when onboard for everything, but you will need to enable airplane mode to use it. 

Some providers (my own major UK operator being one of them) block Wi-Fi calling when your phone is outside the country.  I assume this is so that they can generate the excess income that they get from roaming charges!

7 hours ago, fruitmachine said:

Some providers (my own major UK operator being one of them) block Wi-Fi calling when your phone is outside the country.  I assume this is so that they can generate the excess income that they get from roaming charges!

Interesting. Major providers in the US (T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T...) allow it world-wide.  We've used it on both Verizon and T-Mobile for years without a problem.  It seems a shame some UK providers aren't as generous.

Edited by 1985rz1
  • Like 1