Mini rant on St. Thomas . . .

hokie78

. . . which probably belongs on the port board, but what the heck. We've discovered cruising only in the last couple of years, and prior to that our vacations were (and still are on occasion) land based on a Caribbean Island. Among the 5 or 6 we've ticked off the list so far is St. Thomas. One of our favorites, but I know others may have it last on their list. Que sara sara. My question--or mini rant--is this: when a novice comes to this board, or to the STT port board, and asks, "What do I do on St. Thomas?" why is the answer invariably, "Go to St. John"? It would be the same as asking what to do in Texas and the answer is go to New Mexico. Or, what do I do in New Jersey? Go to New York. (OK--that one might be right!) I know all about St. John. Know it well. Love it. Just drives me nuts when I see that question and answer. If my first visit to the USVI was via a cruise, and I'd done the research, I'd probably be torn on what to do. St. John is great, but I'd like to see STT get a better shot when newbies ask about it. It can also be a pretty taxing day for a cruiser. Taxis and ferries and sailing deadlines, oh my! Try instead, Megan's and Coki and shopping, oh yes! Thanks for the time. Fire extinguisher is at the ready!

I'm with you. Even though I've been to St. John's on a ship's excursion and found it pristine and enjoyed it, the beaches on St. Thomas are world class too, and I could never bring myself to take a cab, then a ferry, then a pack mule, then a sherpa to get there!

We're visiting St Thomas for the first time next month. I loved the sound of some of the excursions to St John, but we felt that we want to explore St Thomas this time. We'll just have to go back again to explore St John! :D

We're doing an island tour, which includes Magens Bay, but I understand that it's not for snorkeling. We'll just have to relax on the bech! :)

We've been to St Thomas several times. Loved golfing at Mahogany Run. Enjoyed beaching it at Magen's Bay. Recently took our first trip up to Paradise Point and enjoyed a relaxing lunch over-looking the harbor and islands. Can actually see Puerto Rico from up there. Watch out though, the Bailey's Bushwackers are spectacular, but they'll get you loopy quickly.

. . . which probably belongs on the port board, but what the heck. We've discovered cruising only in the last couple of years, and prior to that our vacations were (and still are on occasion) land based on a Caribbean Island. Among the 5 or 6 we've ticked off the list so far is St. Thomas. One of our favorites, but I know others may have it last on their list. Que sara sara. My question--or mini rant--is this: when a novice comes to this board, or to the STT port board, and asks, "What do I do on St. Thomas?" why is the answer invariably, "Go to St. John"? It would be the same as asking what to do in Texas and the answer is go to New Mexico. Or, what do I do in New Jersey? Go to New York. (OK--that one might be right!) I know all about St. John. Know it well. Love it. Just drives me nuts when I see that question and answer. If my first visit to the USVI was via a cruise, and I'd done the research, I'd probably be torn on what to do. St. John is great, but I'd like to see STT get a better shot when newbies ask about it. It can also be a pretty taxing day for a cruiser. Taxis and ferries and sailing deadlines, oh my! Try instead, Megan's and Coki and shopping, oh yes! Thanks for the time. Fire extinguisher is at the ready!

If you like St. Thomas, better to make a case for it rather than knock people who want to do St. John. St. John has a sterling reputation for beauty and snorkeling. St. Thomas has a mixed reputation. Would you like to add something positive about St. Thomas or just rant? I actually would love to here a passionate St Thomas review from someone with your experience.

My first cruise was an 8 day E. Carib with an overnight stay in St. Thomas. First day DH and I rented a jeep and toured the whole, and I do mean whole, island of St. Thomas. Second day we did a morning snorkle excursion to St. John then shopped downtown in the afternoon. Really the best of the both islands.

I wish the cruise lines could once again do an overnight stay in St. Thomas and perhaps leave out Nassau or San Juan. Or do and 8 day to those 3 ports so that an overnight can be accomodated.

I love to stay on St. Thomas and enjoy the island! Last Nov. we stayed for 6 days. We have been there plenty times before, on cruise ships. We thought we'd go over to St. John for a day (been there before too) but you know we never made it...just happened to wake up every morning on Morning Star beach and decided to stay on our beach! We did some golfing (very tough course) my husband got the t-shirt that said he did the Devils Triangle and I lost 11 balls! We ate at many wonderful resturants, shopped, I highly recommend Zora for had crafted sandals. It takes a while for fitting so if your on a tight schedule it could be dificult but they are awesome! She is a really neat lady and her shop is so different. We love St. Thomas and staying here is so different than spending the day here and trying to squeeze it all in. I love to sit on the beach and watch the ships come and go, knowing in my mind Hahaha I don't got to be back on the ship by 5:30...but then I think of all the fun the people on the ship are having too. If you get the chance to eat dinner on the island (if you stay here or ship leaves later) go to Havanna Blue at Frenchmans Reef, Morning Star Beach. Awesome food and atmosphere, ocean front and just really lovely. There are so many resturants I could recommend...Can you tell I love to eat...that is one reason we cruise so often!

Mainly due to the fact that St. John is a beautiful island and actually much nicer than St. Thomas. It really depends on what the person is looking for in a shore excursion or island visit. If they the person likes to shop then a no brainer would be to stay on St. Thomas but for a beach day then St. John is much nicer.

I absolutely love St. Thomas. I actually would love to get married there. The synogogue has a lot of history and is stunning. The views from all over the island are also very enjoyable and beautiful. Mountain Top, especailly has stunning views and amazing banana daquiris. Frenchman's Reef is also quite gorgeous and the water is just sooo blue! Last time, we hired a cab driver who took us all over and shared the history and culture of the island with us from an islander's point of view. I wouldnt trade that with St. John (where to be fair, I have never been to) for anything. No matter what, enjoy your trip!

I agree with Lokalona. We used to go and stay at Morningstar and the beach is pretty private. There are good restaurants there. Explore all the beaches, Mountaintop, tours, etc. The BOB excursion is fantastic. And the shopping, well..........shop til you drop!

Our first cruise to St. Thomas, we went to Megan's Bay, it was lovely. The second and third time we shopped. The fourth time, we went to St. John's, had a great time. This last time, we did Coki Beach and it was a disaster. We were hassled by vendors all day long. I hate that, I even had one woman want to sell me a prayer. I will never go to the beach in St. Thomas again, it will be St. John, where there was no hassling.

Sapphire Beach in St. Thomas is also a great beach with plenty of food, drink, and facilities available. We have been there 4 times and have never seen a vendor. We have always had a wonderful time at Sapphire. I also enjoy Megan's, Coki, and Trunk Bay in St. John. You can't really make a bad choice when choosing any of these beautiful beaches.

Wendy

We were first time cruisers and went to St. Thomas. I appreciated the heads up about St. John, we took the ferry over and had a great time. We spent half our day at Trunk Bay and half of the day in Charlotte Amalie.

I thought St. John was a beautiful island and the people were so nice. We were sad to leave.

I am most fortunate to have spent a week on St John at Caneel Bay, and on that trip went into St. Thomas a few times. A different way of doing things!

That entire area is sensational, you can't miss no matter what you do.

Enjoy all of those wonderful beaches and shopping in St. Thomas.

While I am sure some folks love St. Thomas, there are those of us that do not.

Thirty years ago it was a pretty island. Now, IMO, it is overrun with tourists and cruise ship passengers and is utterly charmless.

I have stayed in resorts on St. Thomas (won the trips) and been on at least 25 cruise ship visits there. At this point, I rarely get off the ship. WHen I do, I rent a jeep and get out of town.

Magens Bay is overrrated, as its Coki Beach. Sapphire is not as bad.

If I was a newbie to the island, I would want to read both sides of the story as crowds, hundreds of stores and poorly kept beaches would not ever appeal to me.

I used to go to St. Thomas for a week every year and loved it. I agree that it is not the same island anymore, but I would definitely recommend seeing on a first stop. My favorite restaurant in the world is in St. Thomas (Sibiliy's), but it's only open for dinner and there isn't time for it on a cruise stop. :(

Archived