Vancouver Paradox Hotel

Hercules67

I need to self pay for 2 nights in Vancouver prior to my work trip with paid hotel at Pan Pac.

I received an offer from my agent for Paradox Hotel at USD190/night for a King Room (incl taxes for early October stay). Looking at Pan Pacific at USD500+/night for the same 2 nights makes me wonder is Paradox an OK hotel? (I am unwilling to self pay USD500+/night for Pan Pac and so looking for alternative.)

Appreciate advice.

Paradox used to be a Trump branded hotel in the mid 2010's.  After Trump hotel closed down during the pandemic, it was shuttered for a while and eventually rebranded as Paradox.  Being a local, I haven't stayed there but it's a higher end property.  Generally speaking, it's just a rebranding and hotel management change so it should still be a nice hotel.  FWIW, there occasionally seems to be a bit of a party atmosphere though as we see a lot of revellers milling about and catching rides along the laneway entrance when we pass by during a walk in the evenings.  Location-wise, it's pretty central.  

• Thanks 1

The Pan Pacific is a downgrade compared the Paradox. I didn't stay there, but visited a friend who was and was very impressed by the room and the staff.  Everyone greeted me and asked if they could help in anyway while I was waiting for my friend to come down to the lobby.

• Thanks 1

Thanks both for your replies. At least I am more assured that I will be in an OK hotel (I want to stay at a 'cheaper' hotel but not a 'cheap' hotel). Am surprised to know that Pan Pac is considered as a 'downgrade' against Paradox coz if that's the case, I may change my subsequent paid nights at Pan Pac to Paradox (still trying to gather more info as Paradox doesn't have a lot of online reviews yet and those limited positive reviews I am worried whether those are 'paid' reviews).

It's nice to get advice from parties whom I think are helpful and more neutral like you. Really appreciate that!

Edited by Hercules67

1 hour ago, Hercules67 said:

Thanks both for your replies. At least I am more assured that I will be in an OK hotel (I want to stay at a 'cheaper' hotel but not a 'cheap' hotel). Am surprised to know that Pan Pac is considered as a 'downgrade' against Paradox coz if that's the case, I may change my subsequent paid nights at Pan Pac to Paradox (still trying to gather more info as Paradox doesn't have a lot of online reviews yet and those limited positive reviews I am worried whether those are 'paid' reviews).

It's nice to get advice from parties whom I think are helpful and more neutral like you. Really appreciate that!

The Pan Pacific is old.  It was built for the 1986 World Expo.  It was renovated maybe a decade ago.  Staff at both locations are top notch, but the prize goes to the Paradox for modernity's sake.  It's a newer hotel with more modern offerings.  If you're taking a cruise the next morning, the Pan Pacific is better for convenience.  It's literally an elevator ride to the cruise ship level because you're already at the Canada Place.  For staying in Vancouver to explore the city, I would choose the Paradox in a heartbeat.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

The Pan Pacific is old.  It was built for the 1986 World Expo.  It was renovated maybe a decade ago.  Staff at both locations are top notch, but the prize goes to the Paradox for modernity's sake.  It's a newer hotel with more modern offerings.  If you're taking a cruise the next morning, the Pan Pacific is better for convenience.  It's literally an elevator ride to the cruise ship level because you're already at the Canada Place.  For staying in Vancouver to explore the city, I would choose the Paradox in a heartbeat.

I will be attending a conference at the convention centre and so the company booked for me Pan Pacific for those nights.

I would appreciate your further advice of whether it is difficult to walk from Paradox to the convention centre (since now I am thinking of changing my paid stay from Pan Pacific to Paradox). If the walk is not easy, then I shall stay put in Pan Pacific (which will then entail checking out of Paradox after the 2 self-paid nights for checking in to Pan Pancific, further to check out from Pan Pacific to Paradox after the conference is over - this I find it a hassle). Looking at the map, it does seem doable to walk from Paradox to Pan Pacific.

*I will be on Alaska cruise after the conference but the sailing will be ex Seattle.

Edited by Hercules67

16 minutes ago, Hercules67 said:

I will be attending a conference at the convention centre and so the company booked for me Pan Pacific for those nights.

I would appreciate your further advice of whether it is difficult to walk from Paradox to the convention centre (since now I am thinking of changing my paid stay from Pan Pacific to Paradox). If the walk is not easy, then I shall stay put in Pan Pacific (which will then entail checking out of Paradox after the 2 self-paid nights for checking in to Pan Pancific, further to check out from Pan Pacific to Paradox after the conference is over - this I find it a hassle). Looking at the map, it does seem doable to walk from Paradox to Pan Pacific.

*I will be on Alaska cruise after the conference but the sailing will be ex Seattle.

The locations are walkable.  I had to pick up a rental car at the building next door to The Paradox on Thurlow St. when I stopped in Vancouver on a Pacific Northwest cruise this past April.  It was a 10-15 minute walk from the Canada Place.  I wouldn't discourage a stay at either hotel.  It boils down to how much convenience you want.

One more plus to the Pan Pacific is that it is close to the Waterfront Station.  If you need to get from/to the airport you can take the Canada Line to the Airport from this station direct.  It's cheap C$9.45 and no traffic; the ride is 25 minutes.

Edited by SCX22
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

The locations are walkable.  I had to pick up a rental car at the building next door to The Paradox on Thurlow St. when I stopped in Vancouver on a Pacific Northwest cruise this past April.  It was a 10-15 minute walk from the Canada Place.  I wouldn't discourage a stay at either hotel.  It boils down to how much convenience you want.

One more plus to the Pan Pacific is that it is close to the Waterfront Station.  If you need to get from/to the airport you can take the Canada Line to the Airport from this station direct.  It's cheap C$9.45 and no traffic; the ride is 25 minutes.

Thank you for your affirmation that it is walkable.

I shall switch from Pan Pacific to Paradox then for my total 12 nights stay (don't mind to walk the about 15 min journey in order to clock my 10,000-step/day regime as compared to the chore of packing and repacking).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Urban trekker said:

FYI - the walk from the Convention Center to the Paradox will be uphill all the way - mind you it will be downhill going to the ship.

Dennis 

Thanks for the head up!

May I know is the 'uphill' steep enough to warrant I packing a pair of walking shoes to change into from my formal shoes when need to walk back from the Convention Centre to the Paradox?

*does Uber take ride for such a short journey (in the event that I am too tired to walk)? My conference ends at about 7 pm.

Edited by Hercules67

4 hours ago, Hercules67 said:

Thanks for the head up!

May I know is the 'uphill' steep enough to warrant I packing a pair of walking shoes to change into from my formal shoes when need to walk back from the Convention Centre to the Paradox?

*does Uber take ride for such a short journey (in the event that I am too tired to walk)? My conference ends at about 7 pm.

The walk is flat.  Not sure what the other post is referring to.  The natural route would be to take Burrard or Thurlow and turn on West Georgia.  There are ride shares but would recommend walking to the Pan Pacific and catching them their to find them easier.

• Thanks 1

It's not completely flat but the further west you go, it gets slightly steeper, especially along Bute which is along the western edge of Paradox.  It's more gradual along Burrard.

We regularly park our car along Georgia (free after 7pm) and Bute when we go for an evening walk.  We'll usually walk up Bute or Thurlow though because they are quieter streets than Burrard.  It's not super steep but there's one block along Bute that there are mini stairs parallel the the sidewalk to keep the entranceways to the businesses level.  

• Thanks 1

Thanks SCX22 and Milhouse for the details (these are important for clueless visitors like me to navigate in a more efficient way).

As long as the path is not too steep, I can manage the walk well (just praying that it doesn't rain too much).

A search of google tells me that the street elevation at Georgia and Thurlow is 32 M or 105 feet above sea level.

Canada Place would be near 0 but let's say 20 ft. above sea level.

That to me isn't flat - I get off at the Sky Train Burrard Station and walk up Burrard to go to my favourite gym and I can tell you there are times that I am huffing and puffing by the time I reach Georgia. Mind you I am 75 years old.

Dennis

• Thanks 1

I really admire you to still visit gym at the age of 75. I hope I can be like you when I reach your age (currently mostly having long hours 'seat work' other than the 10,000 steps I commit to achieve daily).

I am mentally prepared for some uphill walk (that I hope I don't find it steep to give me the huff and puff else I will Uber!).