NCL Ship to Train Shuttle in Livorno

Posted this on the Italy ports board, but no one seems to know specifics regarding this NCL-only option.

I've heard in passing that NCL has/had a $25 ship to Livorno Centrale train station shuttle bus, but it's only offered onboard and they don't like to talk about it. It's not pre-bookable, and I can't find any specifics. Does anyone have info if this shuttle is still running as of 2023, and experience using it?

Any info would be appreciated. 

Edited by AstoriaPreppy

On 7/26/2023 at 8:32 AM, SpainAlien said:

Last time we went to Livorno there was a shuttle into Livorno but it didn't go to the train station

From what I've read, there's a standard "get you into town" shuttle all cruise lines run out of the port area. But I remember reading that NCL specifically has/had a $25 train station shuttle, so you didn't have to transfer to a public bus/taxi to get to the train station. 

If no one knows, we'll absolutely ask onboard. We've already got an NCL transfer excursion into Florence booked, but the shuttle/train would offer a bit more flexibility and possible a few more hours in Florence. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

From what I've read, there's a standard "get you into town" shuttle all cruise lines run out of the port area. But I remember reading that NCL specifically has/had a $25 train station shuttle, so you didn't have to transfer to a public bus/taxi to get to the train station. 

If no one knows, we'll absolutely ask onboard. We've already got an NCL transfer excursion into Florence booked, but the shuttle/train would offer a bit more flexibility and possible a few more hours in Florence. 

We were on NCL Spirit and there was only the general shuttle not a specific NCL one BUT that was in 2019 so things may have changed since then

3 hours ago, SpainAlien said:

We were on NCL Spirit and there was only the general shuttle not a specific NCL one BUT that was in 2019 so things may have changed since then

Someone on the Italy port board that was just in Livorno on the Epic said the train station shuttle is no longer a thing... just the shuttle into the middle of town. We'll probably stick with the NCL "on your own" excursion to Florence.

2 hours ago, news70 said:

we will be there in late Aug , just google it looks like only 4km,  might as well taking a cab (freenow) 

Getting a cab from the port to the train station in Livorno is nearly impossible. From my experience the cabbies all want fares directly to Florence, or into Pisa/Lucca. We're also trying to avoid the shuttle to town, then another haggle with a cabbie (or public bus) to the train. Whatever we'd save in money at that point would be wasted in lost time. 

• Like 1

We were in Livorno a few days ago (Sunday) on the Breakaway and got the train to Pisa. I didn't see any advertisements for any shuttles straight to the Train Station.

As you say, the cabs on the dock were all filling up for Florence/Pisa. We got quoted 300 Euro for an 8 seater round trip to Pisa which is only about 15 mile away

We ended up getting the shuttle to town. We were told at the Tourist info that a free shuttle to the station could be caught at the H&M shop round the corner from the bus drop off, but we ended up walking to the station which took us about a 30 min.

The trains were quite frequent and cheap (5.5 Euro each).  It was another 20mins walk to the Leaning Tower.

When returning, after getting off the train in Livorno, we got the (crowded) free shuttle to the cruise shuttle bus spot and transferred back to the ship.

The shuttle buses from port to Livorno are 7 Euro return.

As an aside to the earlier posts regarding Bar sales etc.....All normal drinks were served whilst in port.

• Like 2