Anyone done a family reunion cruise?

MarcieandTed

I've sailed with family and friends, not really a family reunion. Everyone had a great time. A few tips:

Get a great travel agent who will work with each couple/family/individual; that way one person doesn't have to worry about who's paid their deposit, etc. (let the TA earn their commission;) ). Sometimes, the person who comes up with the idea of a group cruise feels that they need to be the one to answer all questions; it can get very stressful. Be sure to find a TA who doesn't have any hidden fees and ask them about group perks (discounts, "free stuff"). On our last cruise, we didn't have enough cabins for a free berth (which we would have divided the $ between everyone going), but we did qualify for a good discount, shipboard credit, photo vouchers and a chocolate tray and bottle of champange per cabin.

Realize that not everyone will enjoy the same activities. Some groups try to stay together 24/7. It's very hard to please everyone all the time. On the 3 cruises we've taken with other families/friends, we made it clear, up front, that everyone would be able to do whatever they wanted and nobody would be insulted or hurt. For example, my parents enjoy land based tours, while my family enjoys water/beach activities. We didn't spend any time together in the ports, but we ate dinner together every evening and, of course, spent time together on the ship. On our last cruise, with friends, there were times where we would all go to a show together, and other times, where it was just a few of us enjoying an activity, while the others were doing something else. No problems; no stress.

last tip--------ENJOY, AND TAKE LOTS OF PICTURES!!!!

Thank you Cali-Cruiser - excellent advice about the TA. I normally do everything myself via the internet, but I don't want to be responsible for answering everyone's questions...

Were your cabins all together? I know I want a bigger cabin, which might not be located near some of the less expensive cabins in other's budgets. Curious to hear....

Thanks!

Thank you Cali-Cruiser - excellent advice about the TA. I normally do everything myself via the internet, but I don't want to be responsible for answering everyone's questions...

Were your cabins all together? I know I want a bigger cabin, which might not be located near some of the less expensive cabins in other's budgets. Curious to hear....

Thanks!

Only my family's 2 cabins were side by side (assigned cabins, not guarantees); everyone chose their own cabin; some had insides, one couple had a suite. We could have chosen to have all the inside cabins near each other but it wasn't a priority; everyone just chose where they wanted to be on the ship. Of course, all the reservations were linked so we had the same dining assignment.

The group were going with did a family and friends cruise thru a TA 2yrs back on the Grand....SUCESS....We are booked w/ them for 4/07 Star Princess... I have sister ,brother ,they have their siblings and friends going..Everyone knows the host family we grew up w/ them there neighbors and their kids and extened family are going...70 in all so far ages 5 to retirees(all age groups are represented)Seating is early and tables are grouped in one area for seating...By the way most of are in balcony rooms. We are booked and ready to begin count down next month.We are also going down most of us the day before.:) ;) :D

Archived