using trenitalia from Venice to Rome

How do I purchase tickets a head of time for travel from Venice to Rome with no stops? I've gone to the trenitalia site and it shows "no buy".

Help I'm freaking out here!

I must be missing something!:confused:

We end our cruise in Venice but need to get back to Rome to fly home the next day. I think I can get to the train station around 10:00 if we get off the ship early am. Not sure how far from the train station in Rome to airport will be either. As you can see.....I need lots of help...enter CC members!

Thanks a head of time for everyones help:)

It is possible that you are getting a "no buy" reply from trenitalia because you are attempting to purchase tickets too far into the future. I believe that the trenitalia website does not allow you to purchase tickets more than 60 or 90 days in advance of the actual trip. If that's not the reason, it might be reasonable to do what Sominex suggests.

Good luck.

Knoxville Sam

I was checking into Rome->La Spezia for July. Trenitalia said no buy. When I moved the date way up, just to check price, Trenitalia was €40.28 (1st cl). RailEurope varied from $69 to $95. :eek:

I don't think this need to be done early. Read the train advice on Slowtrav. I'm just going to use the Trenitalia site right before we fly out.

Mountainhouse is absolutely correct. There is no reason to book early unless you are traveling on a very major holiday. There is never a reason to give Rail Europe a ridiculous amount of money beyond the cost of the regular fare.

The Italian train system is VERY user-friendly and quite reasonably priced. There are simple self-service kiosks in most major train stations, including Venice SL.

I have never bought a train ticket in advance for Italian travel, and I have never had a problem. The trains (as you can see from the Trenitalia site) run very frequently and there is no reason to "freak out" or otherwise over-analyze what is a very simple procedure!

So have a wonderful cruise, relax, and buy your ticket when you get to the train station.

http://www.trenitalia.it/en/index.html

I learned of this on TripAdvisor.com and I hope Pammie Poo (and maybe others) can take advantage.

There are Eurostar Express trains between Venice and Rome. If one of them suits your time requirements, and you book in advance on their website (up to 12 midnight of the day before departure), you can get a fare of either 29 or 39 euro for 1st or 2nd class. Details can be found under the "Special Offers" section on the web site above. (You still cannot book outside of 60 days prior to your travel.)

First enter cities, date and time, then choose a Eurostar *ES* that fits your schedule. Then select Buy.

On the next page, there is a drop down menu for "Fare". Select the 29 euro fare. If they are all sold out, you may still get the 39 euro fare. Then enter the number of adults and youths. Then change the class to "1" for first class seats.

I haven't actually done this. I read about it in a post by Suburbanite05 on the TripAdvisor boards. My travel is still more than 60 days out, but I tested it putting in earlier dates and it looks like it should work. And it is all ticketless . . . you just print your confirmation and present it at the station.

So di I take the train from Venizia Mestre or Venezia S Lucia. and then....once we get to Rome am I able to get a taxi to the airport FCO?

So much to think about. We;ll be in Rome for 4 days before going to on our cruise that ends in Venice. Should I pick up the train tickets while in Rome or wait til we get to Venice? I'm a plan a head kind of gal! I'm always in the Need to Know area.

Plus does anyone know...of course someone does.....how long the ride will be from rome to the airport?

thanks again everyone.....I love this board!:)

Take the train from Venezia S Lucia to Roma Termini

then

Take the Leonardo Express (train) from Roma Termini to Fiumcino (the airport)

See the schedule for the Leonardo Express provided in the link that MountainHouse provided above.

KC

Archived