So. Caribbean QM2 EXCURSIONS

RDMOREU

Hello,

DH and I will be on the QM2's Dec. 2-9 So. Carib cruise. Can anyone tell me what excursions Cunard will offer? (Bridgetown; St. Kitts; St. Thomas) Thank you for your help!

Dolores

Welcome to the Dec 2nd cruise! We have a roll call going for it on the Forums page...go to Roll calls all other ships and look for us abot half way down the page. It was started by imacruiser who has been on QM2 twice and is very helpful. This will be our first time on the QM2 and we're very excited about it. Imacruiser is on a cruise right now but I'm sure you will find her advice and information very helpful. As to the ports, I'm still reading about them too altho I have read about a train ride in St Kitts that most people rave about. You might try google for St Kitts train trip...they have a web site which I'll look for. It sounds like great fun. As to St Thomas, mostly just some shopping for us as my husband and friend's husband will be on a charter fishing trip for a good part of the day leaving us gals to fend for ourselves!

So...any suggestions you CCers can offer on Barbados etc will be greatly appreciated. And do come join us on the roll call Dolores...our group is growing! Cheers, Penny

The ship will dock in Barbados but may get the distant berth which is a walk to the front of the pier. There is a nice terminal there with shops. Bridgetown is a $6 cab ride and I do not recommend it for shopping at all. There is not much to it. Go on an excursion, the catamaran sailings to private beaches are very nice. Tiami catamaran is nice and they are very helpful to novice snorkelers.

While St Thomas does have the best shopping in the Caribbean, you may want to combine this with a half day at Megan’s Bay one of the top ten beaches in the world. There is an excursion of about 3 hours which includes admission to the beach (none are free) and transport. The ride over the mountain to and from beach is quite scenic and the driver will make stops for you (was $29 in 2004). The ship will tender which is not bad as all the other ships that do dock cannot do so right in town, they are about a half mile down the road. There are no locals selling various wares, approaching you etc on the street. Those who are independent agents are consigned to a small open air mart about 3 blocks from the pier. There is a US post office near the pier and the rates are the same as domestic USA. We went to Del Sol (everything for sale is white and turns colors in the sun), purchased sand in a bottle that has a address label and them to friends and family in the states.

Very helpful...thank you so much. The Barbados catamaran sounds perfect for our needs. Our friends love to snorkle and I just love the beach!! I think in St Thomas, by the time our husbands finish the fishing charter, they'll be too wiped out to do much! Appreciate your helpful response. Cheers, Penny

Very helpful...thank you so much. The Barbados catamaran sounds perfect for our needs. Our friends love to snorkle and I just love the beach!! I think in St Thomas, by the time our husbands finish the fishing charter, they'll be too wiped out to do much! Appreciate your helpful response. Cheers, Penny

You're welcome. I actually was suggesting that the ladies go the beach which is a half day then shop the other half. Let them GO FISH!

Archived