Snorkeling Key West, Nassau, CocoCay ???

Hi Mom - Fancy meeting you over here. :D

I am a scuba diver and have been diving or snorkleing in all three locations. Coco Cay is very desolate as far as reef life and things to see. RCL has placed a quasi-boat wreck (really just a concrete ship's simulated side rail and cannon) and a 'plane wreck' out by one of the life guard stations. There is also a floating raft to rest on when you get out there. It is about 150 yards off shore so you have quite a swim to get there. Close in to shore is only rock, sand and weeds.

Key West doesn't have real good snorkling immediately surrounding the island. However, about 27.5 miles up highway 1 (the only road into or out of Key West and a 45 minute drive) is Looe Key Marine Sanctuary. The reefs there are sometimes only 5-10 feet below the surface so you can get up close and personal with some of the sea life. The only problem is our time ashore in Key West and the drive up to catch a boat. You can call them and find out what time the afternoon dive/snorkel trip would return to the dock (usually leaves at one-ish or so..) Then you have the 45 minute drive back to Key West and turning in a rental car. I don't know about taxis or taxi rates down there as I usually have my car when I visit the keys. Here is a description of the reef area:

Located about five nautical miles offshore of Big Pine Key is Looe Key, which isn’t an island but a “groove and spur” reef and part of the reef system that parallels the Atlantic side of the Florida Keys. This reef got its name from the HMS Looe which supposedly ran aground there in 1744 while towing a captured French ship, the Snow. While crossing the reef, the HMS Looe hit hard in only 25 feet of water and quickly burned to the waterline, taking the accompanying ship with her. Recent archeological studies say that the ship that went down with the Looe was named Billander Betty and that ballast stones located at the eastern end of the reef are from those two ships. But some pieces of thin copper, possibly hull sheathing, and a piece of concrete located in that area of the reef seem to indicate that the ballast and wreckage found there may be from a wreck more closely resembling a 19th century merchantman.

The reef at Looe Key, roughly 200 yards wide and 800 yards long is generally “U” shaped, and is comprised of both patch and outside reefs. It became a National Marine Sanctuary in 1981 due, in part, to the success of the Key Largo Sanctuary created in 1975. This “sanctuary” designation means that there are absolute restrictions on spearfishing, tropical fish and shell collecting and wire fish traps. Marine police patrol the reef and keep a close eye on activities there.

Because of its unique shape and varying depths, Looe Key is an excellent SCUBA and snorkeling site for people of all skill levels. Water clarity is mostly excellent and sea conditions are generally moderate. The reef is home to over 150 species of fish including yellowtail, angelfish, parrotfish, barracuda, sergeant majors, and moray eel. The lucky diver can also see several shark and ray species. After 7000 years of coral growth, about fifty species are present, many named for the shapes of their namesakes on land. These corals include staghorn, elkhorn, star, brain, and fire corals.

Here is a link to the dive shop I use when I dive there. http://www.diveflakeys.com/

Nassau has the best overall snorkling IMHO. There are a lot of beaches you can see on your own, without having to sign up for an expensive excursion. However, if you want to get out to see some serious reef life, you have to have a boat and the water can be 25 - 30 feet deep. Too deep to get up close and personal. The dive operation I used on my first dive there, "DiveDiveDive", takes snorklers on the same boat they take out the divers on. I will be diving here I expect (DW hasn't made up my mind yet;) ) but will probably use the ships excursion since these 3/4 day trips don't usually have that many divers so the "Cattle Boat" concept doesn't apply too often.

BTW - You can see all of the photos I have taken at all these sites in my webshots photo page. Link is in my signature below.

Happy Bubbles!

Sea-jay, nice to see you! You're turning into my own personal info expert ... which I am deeply grateful for. So, if I'm understanding correctly ... CocoCay is not a good option. Key West would be great if I wanted to rent a car and take a 45 minute drive. The description you sent sounds fantastic. I'm just concerned about the logistics. Not counting the bride and groom, there will be 6 in my immediate group. 2 of us adults and 4 teens ranging from 17-19. If the bride and groom are in the mood for company and exploring with us, that would make 8. I guess I need to take a head count and see how many are interested in going that far out for snorkeling. Will also need to calculate the car rental, snorkeling cost, and timing. We're only there from 10-6. Nassau is probably my best bet if a lot of us want to snorkel. Are there any specific beaches that you can recommend? Or any of the various snorkeling options available in the cruise excursions? My one and only experience was last year in Cabo and I was able to see quite a bit. I'm a tad clastrophic thanks to an MRI a few years ago. My first time out I spent the first half of my time in an internal battle to overcome the clastrophia feeling with the mask on. I finally won that battle and after that I was fine, but I had wasted some precious time. I want the opportunity to fully enjoy the experience. I envy you the diving experience. Maybe one of these days! I'll pop back on from my home computer and view your pictures. I'm sure they are fascinating. Thanks again for all your help!!!

Unfortunately I can't recommend any specific beaches for snorkling because I have only been diving there. However, I'm sure someone else will be logging in to contribute. Otherwise, you may want to check the "ports of call" forum and check out what's happening there in Nassau. Just be aware, you will have to rent a taxi in Nassau I believe and if your party is that large, you may have to rent two.

• 4 months later...

I have to disagree with Sea-Jay about Coco Cay. I have been there a few times and the fish were abundant and we saw rays and eels, barracuda...etc. I think it depends on how warm it is there. I have been there when the water was cooler and we saw plenty of marine life. I was told that when the water temps are too warm the fish will go to cooler waters. Seems logical to me. As far as the plane wreck and cannon's, he's right.

I snorkled / dove at all 3 ports. Each is a different experience.

In key west I dove but the wife and kids snorkled. We went with a comany called captains corner. It is located about 10 min walking from the pier in the marina. That is where alot of the snorkle trips leave from. This was a larger boat which had about 30-40 of us on it. About 15 of us were divers. They took us to a shallow reef which was only about 20-30 feet deep. There were alot of fish, lobster etc but the reef itself was pretty bare compared to reefs at other ports. We did get to see some dophins on the boar ride to the reef. It wasn't the best snorkle / dive spot but If you are not into shopping or drinking, it is a pretty good way to spend the day in key west. Coco Cay of course in RCCLs private beach The snorkling is from the beach. There is no reef, it is sandy bottom, however since you are already at the beach you may as well go. If you bring your own gear, you will have to pay $6 to rent the life vest. If you don't bring gear it will cost you $27 to rent the gear for the day. It is not an excursion, you can get in / out of the water as you please. In nassau, we went with stuart cove. This is another large boat, we had about 30 with us. They take you to 3 spots (this was the afternoon trip). I don't really remember how the reefs were but the last stop was the shark feed. That in itself made the whole trip for me! We went with stuart cove.

Archived