Airport Lounges at Heathrow T5?

MrsPeel55

Hi guys, in need of a bit of advice again 🙂

We have BA access to their lounges when travelling overseas, but we travel economy when around Europe. 

I remember here (a few weeks ago, maybe 6 to 8 weeks?) someone gave me a link for lounges but can't find the thread.

The ones I can see on the Cunard Travel Extras link are Club Aspire & Plaza Premium, wondering if any of you have experience with either of them?

another (completely un-related) question:

I am unable to complete the telephone number they ask in the personal details for the Insurance "Assistance Company" - we got insurance with the company Cunard suggest, but no matter what we try, keeps going red and telling us is an invalid number? anyone has this issue?

Thanks so much for any input in advance!

I had problem with that number too, and I think it's something to do with what format number they are looking for, so instead of 08001234 try 448001234 or whatever. But the way I actually handle it is to enter the insurance information correctly except I put my own landline number in the telephone number. That worked. Then go in a second time, and enter the correct number, then the robots were happy with it. If you are booked with Staysure or one of the other leading names, I imagine Cunard will know exactly how to contact your insurers, so it is probably more important if booking with a more obscure company / non UK, non USA insurance company.

For BA at LHR T5, I'm "guessing" it's LHR-BCN. Now if you bought the ticket from Cunard you won't get a proactive upgrade offer from BA (known as a POUG) online in advance, but you can normally buy an airport upgrade known as an AUP - aircraft upgrade promotion. Pronounced AyUp, not 'ope. This would give you access to the BA South and North lounges. Due to BA having a near monopoly on LHR-BCN the upgrade is expensive compared to others, around £130 per person. This gets you fast track security, lounge access, club seating on board (and meals) and a higher luggage allowance.

For the two lounges which are not BA, Premium Plaza is by far the better one, and the more modern too. It's at the north corner of T5 near gate A6, whereas Aspire is at the south corner by A18. You may want to look into pre-booking Aspire if you still wanted to go there, since at busy times they won't let you in otherwise. The big advantage of Aspire (in fact the only one I can think of) is that it is very close to the Lichfield Suite - if you asked BA for assistance at LHR this is where the staff are based. They will also handle you in Aspire, but it's almost next door so massively easier for the assistance staff compared to Plaza, which is at the other end of one of the UK's largest buildings. Both lounges have good views from them and comfortable seating, but again Plaza is the better of the two.

Unfortunately BA can run BCN flights from any gate, including B and C satellites, and you won't know until the day of travel.

Edited by Pushpit
  • Like 2

We nearly always fly from T5 and use Club Aspire lounge through a certain bank account . We can use it three times a year.

We have always found it very comfortable.Showers and peaceful rest areas.The food is plentiful ,varied refreshments and a good selection of alcohol.Sometimes if we have a night flight it is crowded,but people are always on the move so seats come available quickly.

When we do an upgrade then .. Well…a different world

• Like 2

@Se1lad Terminal 5 🙂

@Pushpit thanks so much!!!  the phone editing thing ius a genius idea, will try that!!!

we already tried the +44 (0) and number, which is the way is written in the insurance documents, tried without the + , without parenthesis , without 0 and every other combo you can imagine, nothing worked, will try your idea!

We booked with the company Cunard send us to (not sure if one can mention here?)

When we booked, on the phone, we asked to boom with them direct (when they told us the amount we needed covered~) and they said they no longer book it themselves but gave us the same of the company, which is the one that is in the Cunard website if` you click Travel Extras > Holiday Insurance, so yes, they will most definitely know who to call 🙂

Thank you so much for the details about lounges....

If I am getting this right.... Aspire is better if I booked BA assistance?

Then that is where we will book and yes, I am booking in advance most definitely.

We are flying to Rome, not Barcelona (which h I assume is the BCN  you mention?)

If we were on a land trip, I probably wouldn't bother much, Europe is generally up to 5 hours flight, there is no rush to recover, but we ll be in Rome for a couple of days, then the trip to the port and embarkation process, I rather be sure we ll have a relaxed time from the start 🙂

@Millieloulou thanks! yes, it seems Aspire will be the choice!!!! 🙂

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, MrsPeel55 said:

If I am getting this right.... Aspire is better if I booked BA assistance?

Then that is where we will book and yes, I am booking in advance most definitely.

We are flying to Rome, not Barcelona (which h I assume is the BCN  you mention?)

Sorry yes, you may have mentioned your cruise once or twice, but I still got the wrong city!

FCO is the code for Rome, and AUPs are a bit cheaper there, can be £90 or so.

Plaza really is the better lounge (better seats, more spacious, better food, more modern), but if you are using assistance at T5 then the Lichfield Suite - which you can use if not using a lounge - is where Wilson James (Healthrow's assistance company) base their staff, and it's just a few metres from Aspire. Lichfield Suite sounds terribly glam but it's just a quieter seating area with a water cooler and TV to watch. But you don't have to use it, it's just worth knowing it is between gate A19 and a restaurant called Pilots, and Aspire is next door at A18. Wilson James will happily take to Aspire and Collect you from there too.

Now that kind of reminds me: of the various options, coffee in Pilots is probably going to be the nicest and cheapest so you could use that as your cost-effective lounge instead. They won't mind if you are there for an extended period.

• Like 1