Carrying on large luggage in Galveston’s new terminal 10

Has anyone had experience avoiding the porters and carrying on their own full sized luggage? Something like a 28 inch wide. Specifically at Galveston’s new terminal 10.

I know the universal answer from the cruise lines and ports is that it must fit in the scanner and you have to check anything that isn’t carry on size. But I have personally been allowed to carry on very large suitcases at other ports, some of the scanners were huge and fit them easily, and have heard a few other anecdotes as well. 

Been thru the new terminal several times, the scanners are really the only restriction I have ever seen.  They are modern scanners but I have no idea the true spec size.  We have not personally taken a 28 thru.

I think worst case, if it doesn't fit - it gets tagged and checked, very similar to airlines when overhead is full or smaller than you expected.

Not related at all, but we have taken a 28 "off" the ship as the larger last-night-throw-everything-in bag.  No issues.  But note, if you have more than one bag (of any type including like a backpack and a rolling bag) they will require you to take the elevator down and not the escalator.  The elevator line can add 5-10 minutes wait at peak times.

• Like 1

On 2 cruises from Galveston this spring and summer, I have seen people who had full size luggage with them while we were waiting for the cabins to open.  I did not see them go through the scanners, but I did see people with regular checked bag size in tow prior to cabins being open and luggage being available.