Hair Braiding in Soouthern Caribbean

racepoint

We did a Western Caribbean itinerary 3 years ago and my daughter's hair was too short to get it braided in Cozumel. We are leaving this Saturday for a Southern Caribbean cruise and, now that her hair is much longer, she asked me to inquire if hair braiding is available in Barbados, St. Lucia, Antigua, St. Maarten, or St. Thomas.

My daughter has extremely thick and long hair. We had hers braided at Little Divi Bay in St. Marteen. It tuned out BEAUTIFUL and worth every penny. In my opinion she had the best results. She and I were watching all the girls that had their hair done in previous ports and getting ideas.

I bartered with the gal for a reduced rate but deep down I knew it would be a long job due to the amount of hair and we wanted full head with the beads. Final cost was $80. I probably overpaid but did not care because it was so beautiful. It lasted for 1 month and she wore it to school that way too. It took me however, close to 3.5 hours to get it out and only 45 minutes for the woman to do it.

Best advice is to go with a flat fee, not a fee per braid. My daughter had over 100 braids!!

Have fun!!!!

What a great idea to bring your own brush! Yes, at pretty much all the ports. We had my 3 yo get it done, not corn rolls but 26 individual braids. They offered to do it for $15 but I told them I'd give them $10. Then they turn around and gave half of it immediately to the "beach owner". I felt bad. Anyway, how fun for your daughter to be able to do it!

My daughter likes having her hair braided - but not in 'ole Mexico. You will note that the native Latino population does not wear hair braids themselves. The Afro-Caribbean islanders to the east braid hair for themselves, their friends, their kids - not just the tourists. The islanders are more adept - and much more gentle! - braiding hair than central americans.

Please take the advise of a mom who knows, take your own comb and brush! My daughter had braids put in in St. Maartin and guess what... 7 days later, she had lice!

They looked great, but the lice issue is one that I don't want to repeat. Take your own comb!

Archived