Hotels Near Port Canaveral

Dandy8

Thanks for the info. I had narrowed down my choices between the comfort inn & the new residence inn. I went with the residence inn since it's new, closer to the port, and better rate for a suite since I'll be traveling with my inlaws, 2 kids and husband. I would be very interested in hearing about your stay there since I'll be traveling in November.

Danielle:)

Thanks for the info. I had narrowed down my choices between the comfort inn & the new residence inn. I went with the residence inn since it's new, closer to the port, and better rate for a suite since I'll be traveling with my inlaws, 2 kids and husband. I would be very interested in hearing about your stay there since I'll be traveling in November.

Danielle:)

Will report as soon as we get back. We stayed at one in Tampa before and it was very nice. $99.00 a night works for me.:)

Bill

Airport Hyatt with Disney transfers, only way to go! metrowon

I stayed there due to a flight cancellation. It is a nice hotel, although it was a bit pricey; perhaps you can do better if you aren't desperate and book in advance. For a larger family, a car rental would be much cheaper than the shuttle, although I hear they are quite nice. I don't know if you can board as early taking the DIsney shuttle than you can if you arrive locally. We like getting to the port early so we can be among the first to board. That's probably not as big a deal, though, now that you can make your Palo and spa reservations on-line.

Although the OP has already made a decision, let me put in a pitch for the Radisson for the benefit of any lurkers out there. If you go to the DIS Boards, you'll see that is the destination of choice for many. They offer pre-cruise packages and provide a free and very good shuttle service to the port. They are also very close to the port. For those driving down, they offer free on-site parking.

We find the best thing to do is to rent a car at the airport the day before and drive to the Radisson. We'll keep the car overnight and in the morning, I'll return it to the local rental office while rest of family gets ready, packs, etc. We've used Hertz and have been happy. The rental offices have shuttles going to the port, and they'll let you hop on the shuttle as they make their run to the port to pick up the disembarking passengers.

We'll then to to the Radisson breakfast buffet (complimentary for 2 w/ the cruise package - which is pretty reasonable, but I don't recall the pricing). We'll then take an early hotel shuttle to ship to get ready for early boarding. When the ship returns, we'll catch the car rental agency shuttle to get our rental to take us back to Orlando (and, usually, a few days at the parks)

The Radisson itself is quite nice although the rooms are perhaps in need of renovation. They are clean and quiet, though. Nice pool area with a good poolside food and a decent tiki-style bar. My kids like the amusement area next door, w/ a huge arcade, laser tag, 2 huge mini-golf courses, and go karts.

Folks on the Disboards crusie meets will often arrange get togethers at the Radisson the night before.

I agree the Radisson isn't a bad choice. We have stayed there previously when Avis was still next door. That worked out great for us. I would only suggest that if staying at the radisson to spend the extra money $20-$40 for the suites.

Our inlaws had their reservation messed up, (there own fault) and had to get a regular room. It seemed so much smaller than the suites. I guess if staying just one night it doesn't matter that much.

The pool at the Radisson is very very nice.

Bill

I agree the Radisson isn't a bad choice. We have stayed there previously when Avis was still next door. That worked out great for us. I would only suggest that if staying at the radisson to spend the extra money $20-$40 for the suites.

Our inlaws had their reservation messed up, (there own fault) and had to get a regular room. It seemed so much smaller than the suites. I guess if staying just one night it doesn't matter that much.

The pool at the Radisson is very very nice.

Bill

Good point re suites - we stayed in on once, and it was very nice. I thought the price differential may have been higher when you were booking a cruise package, though. I'd suggest looking into it.

From what I've heard, the Radisson is suppose to be great. Haven't been to Florida yet though myself! We will be flying in the night before and staying at the airport Hyatt.
It's so easy staying @ the Hyatt. You'll put your tagged bags @ your door around 7:30 am., and see them onboard around 3:00pm. Are you doing the Disney transfers, 55 minutes from airport to terminal. Have a blast! Metrown

Will report as soon as we get back. We stayed at one in Tampa before and it was very nice. $99.00 a night works for me.:)

Bill

What is your plan for getting to the port from the hotel? Since the hotel is new, when I booked the room they couldn't tell me if they offered shuttle service. Did you hear differently?

Danielle

I stayed there due to a flight cancellation. It is a nice hotel, although it was a bit pricey; perhaps you can do better if you aren't desperate and book in advance. For a larger family, a car rental would be much cheaper than the shuttle, although I hear they are quite nice. I don't know if you can board as early taking the DIsney shuttle than you can if you arrive locally. We like getting to the port early so we can be among the first to board. That's probably not as big a deal, though, now that you can make your Palo and spa reservations on-line.
There really is no early getting on-board earlier than I do with transfers. Disney Cruise Line Buses are owned and operated by Disney, and it's a wonderfull 55 minute ride. Disney reps are on-board and make sure you paper work is in order for easy processing. There are cartoons that the children can watch, and of course, the cruise ship vidieo for warm ups. The Excitement begins! The Hyatt is pricey, but they do pick up your ship-board luggage, or Disney does. A car rental may be cheaper, and you may not know how to get to the Disney terminal. I like the reponse to pricey, regaurding the Hyatt. And of course CHEAPER for a car rental. Are we on vacation, or still looking for deals? Once you land in Orlando, and decide to stay at the Hyatt{airport},the vacation starts.Our experiance this way I would not trade for less money, and car rental stuff. Metrowon

Hi,

We just returned home tonight. We sailed on the Wonder 3/19-3/23 then went to catch a little tennis in Miami. We flew into Orlando, rented a car from Budget ($27.00) and stayed at the Radisson ($140.00). We returned the car the next morning at 8:00 and then walked back to the Raddison (less than 1/2 block). We took the Radisson shuttle to the port arrived about 11:15 and were onboard at 12:00. Upon our return the Budget shuttle was right outside the port, hopped on and went and rented a car again for the rest of our trip. We were on the road to Miami by 8:15. This was our first Disney Cruise and it just doesn't compare to the other cruise we took. Disney is by far a step or two or three.... above the rest when it comes to details and service. Have a great time, we sure did!! Only negative it that we came back to 30 degree temperatures!!!

mctennismom

Hi,

We just returned home tonight. We sailed on the Wonder 3/19-3/23 then went to catch a little tennis in Miami. We flew into Orlando, rented a car from Budget ($27.00) and stayed at the Radisson ($140.00). We returned the car the next morning at 8:00 and then walked back to the Raddison (less than 1/2 block). We took the Radisson shuttle to the port arrived about 11:15 and were onboard at 12:00. Upon our return the Budget shuttle was right outside the port, hopped on and went and rented a car again for the rest of our trip. We were on the road to Miami by 8:15. This was our first Disney Cruise and it just doesn't compare to the other cruise we took. Disney is by far a step or two or three.... above the rest when it comes to details and service. Have a great time, we sure did!! Only negative it that we came back to 30 degree temperatures!!!

mctennismom

Thanks for your post.

Did you happen to see the Residence Inn while in Caneral? If so, was it open yet?

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

just stayed at the Hawthorn airport. It is an all suite hotel with a good breakfast buffet that was free. They will pick you up at the airport and will also drive you to nearby restaurants for dinner. It was very nice and clean. We got a rate of 99 dollars

I like the Holiday Inn Express in Cocoa Beach. We are considering trying Ron Jon's. I'm not sure if I would try the Radisson or not. I've seen so many mixed reviews but I haven't checked out any recent reviews. Personally, I like to have a rental car. I like the freedom it gives me to go out to dinner, etc. I also like having control over what time I arrive at the pier. The pier is super easy to get to and we like to arrive early (by 11:00).

I stayed at the Ron Jon Resort pre-cruise in January. It is wonderful, clean, well maintained, pleasant employees and the restaurant on site has excellent food. It is pricey but worth every penny if you can take advantage of the facilities on premises. Great water area and beach. Plus we saw the Magic come in from the balcony, 4:30am! We will be there again b4 our May cruise.

Sue

Hey Bill,

I just found this review on one of the other threads ....looks good. Check out the pics!

Danielle

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...56#post6323856

Ok, so I'm not too computer savvy (link didn't work). Here's the review.

"The beds were perfect - they were obviously the 'upgraded' beds that Marriott has gone to in their recent renovations of their beds across their properties. Not too firm, not too soft - and I've had problems at times with back pain, so I'm not unfamiliar with waking up with a stiff back in hotels. Happens more often than not when I'm traveling, but not this time. Great bed, in my opinion.

Great everything, to be honest - I can't recommend the property highly enough. The breakfast buffet had everything you can think of - and on vacation, eating a huge breakfast is one of my highlights of the day! I love Residence Inns, especially the 2-bedroom suites - our family of 5 stays in them on trips whenever possible. Getting a bedroom in a separate room from the kids is something we put a high priority on. smile.gif "

Click this link and go to the posting for "stay home dad scott" for the pics.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1075593&page=2&pp=15&highlight=re sidence+inn

Dandy8,

Thanks for posting that. The place looks great. I know the one I stayed in in Tampa a few years ago was very nice. I was going to stay there in June before our cruise but we decided to stay in Orlando and go to Sea World before the cruise. We got the Hyatt Grand Cypress for 2 nights on Priceline for $100 a night.:)

Bill

Archived