sapphire beach/coki beach

Has anyone visited these beaches while cruising?If so please give me your impressions and if they are worth going or just follow everyone to magens bay?Thank you taking my three daughters(9.9.11)and my DW.Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I went to Sapphire on my last cruise and thought it was beautiful. The problem was the water was very rocky as you were getting in. My young niece didn't care for it because of this. I don't know if it is always like this but it was that day.

Coki beach is where the cruise excursions go for the snorkeling. It is adjacent to the Aquarium and if you have your own snorkeling gear you can snorkel here and see some fish. Not the greatest snorkeling, but shrt of going out on a boat, its OK. Beach has good sand and some shade. Plenty of vendors to rent things from and to eat.

We have never made it to Sapphire beach.

We liked Saphire and I don't recall it being rocky. It was not terribly busy and there was a restaurant with changing rooms that they allowed you to use. We will try Coki next time but that's just for variety's sake.

Has anyone visited these beaches while cruising?If so please give me your impressions and if they are worth going or just follow everyone to magens bay?Thank you taking my three daughters(9.9.11)and my DW.Any help would be greatly appreciated!

If you haven't done so already, check out the ST.Thomas / St. John board under ports of call. There is tons of info on these beaches on that board. We will be in St. Thomas next month, and I think we are going to go to Sapphire,

as I have heard the snorkeling is a bit better there.

We visited Sapphire beach on tour with Godfrey. It was not rocky when we visited, but there is a small reef/rocks close to shore. The beach is very nice and was quiet when we were there. There are changing rooms and a restuarant which I believe is part of the hotel. Here are some pics;

313040213SvXSnV_ph.jpg

313040836SNlSeu_ph.jpg

We've been to Coki Beach many times and really enjoyed it. Last cruise we contemplated trying something different and looked into the option of Sapphire Beach. Back then, I read a couple of posts claiming that there were quite a few iguanas that hung around that area and it scared me off from visiting (I know it may sound stupid to some people). Could anyone comment about their experiences at Sapphire with regard to the iguanas? I'd like to give it a try, but I have an iguana phobia!

I've been going to St. Thomas for about 20 years - before people knew about Coki Beach. Even though Coki is crowded it's still fun and more interesting that Sapphire Beach. Sapphire beach is good for reading and relaxing, much more quiet. Coki has better snorkelling and because of the concessions, it's more comfortable. You can get a drink and most important of all, get a cab. From Sapphire you'd probably have to wait for a cab. On the way back from either of these beaches ask the cab driving to stop at Mountain top on the way back. The most scenic route and the best photo op.

We've been to Coki Beach many times and really enjoyed it. Last cruise we contemplated trying something different and looked into the option of Sapphire Beach. Back then, I read a couple of posts claiming that there were quite a few iguanas that hung around that area and it scared me off from visiting (I know it may sound stupid to some people). Could anyone comment about their experiences at Sapphire with regard to the iguanas? I'd like to give it a try, but I have an iguana phobia!

Hi! We have been to Sapphire Beach 4 times and have seen iguanas (2 or 3) each time we have been. They never approached us and were mainly just sunning themselves. I got close enough to take a picture and even then they never came towards us! Also...never encounted any rocks at Sapphire. It is a very nice beach and usually quiet with nice shade trees if you don't want to get too much sun. Enjoy!

Iguanas can be prevelant at Sapphire. Just depends on their mood I guess. If they are roaming the beach while you're there, they are absolutely no bother. People try to get close enough for pictures and they usually just scurry the other way (the iguanas, not the people!). The "rocky beach" comment about Sapphire should be put into context. For ease of explanation, visual Sapphire as two connected crescent shaped beaches, sort of like a rounded W. While looking at the water with the resort at your back (all are welcome regardless of the connected resort) down the left side the beach is incredibly white, sandy and soft. The coral does come close to shore in that rightt hand section of the left side of the crescent (toward the middle point of the W), but you don't have to enter the water there. In fact if you do, expect to get yelled at by resort officials who do their best to keep the coral alive. Please don't walk on it. There is also a bit of a rocky out-cropping that's more on the beach than in the water, and is actually kind of neat to see. You'll find it in most paintings and post cards of Sapphire. On the right had side of the W (resort still at your back), the beach does get a little rocky. The pool, and pool bar and grill, is a good landmark for where the two crescents come together. So past the pool, water on your left, resort on your right you'll see the beach be a little less sandy, but still not a problem in my view. This area is usually deserted no matter how crowded the resort or beach gets. So if you're all about sunning (with quick, easy and discreet access to the resort pool) and quiet and views, head to thsi section. Opposed to what others have said, Sapphire has no fewer amenties available than Coki. Coki can be an absolute zoo. Cruise excursion go there more often than to Sapphire, and it's right next to Coral World so you deal with that crowd too. You get a bit more local feel at Coki since it's not attached to a resort and your food and drink comes out of little shacks (don't misunderstand--very good) rather than a resort bar or restaurant. Prices? Probably a little more at Sapphire for obvious reasons. Like with anything, pick your poison and enjoy!

we went to saphire beach this last time on ST Thomas it was great a beautiful beach and as it was sunday they had a live band and a BBQ buffet lots of fun and good eats, but I guess they only do this on sunday.

Flips

Archived