NCL Gem - Inside Cabin Table

monzmom79

Here's a weird question...has anyone been able to request the removal of the square table in the cabin? We are doing a 12-night cruise from Istanbul to Rome on the Gem in November-December 2023. Our itinerary is incredibly port heavy (9 ports excluding Istanbul and Civitavecchia), so we didn't take NCL up on the chance to upgrade our room as we probably will just be sleeping getting ready for the next long day in a new port. 

I've watched some videos of cabins on the ship and that small square table makes a small space even more difficult to navigate. I know I'm going to hurt myself trying to get to the restroom at night with that table in place. Has anyone ever asked if that could be removed? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, monzmom79 said:

Here's a weird question...has anyone been able to request the removal of the square table in the cabin? We are doing a 12-night cruise from Istanbul to Rome on the Gem in November-December 2023. Our itinerary is incredibly port heavy (9 ports excluding Istanbul and Civitavecchia), so we didn't take NCL up on the chance to upgrade our room as we probably will just be sleeping getting ready for the next long day in a new port. 

I've watched some videos of cabins on the ship and that small square table makes a small space even more difficult to navigate. I know I'm going to hurt myself trying to get to the restroom at night with that table in place. Has anyone ever asked if that could be removed? 

If you are talking about the small desk (table) at the end of the bathroom wall into the cabin, NO it is attached to the wall.

Suggestion to make nights a little better, buy a package of battery-operated tea light with an on/off button on the bottom.  Put one in the bathroom so you can see to step upinto the bathroom and another on the little table.  I take tea lights with me all the time.

I was wondering about the one under the TV on the left. I see the one on the right is fixed, but from the picture I didn't realize the one on the left is fixed too. If it is, I should just get used to bruised hips. LOL. I did buy some lights for the cabin and will do what you suggest. Thanks for responding. image.thumb.png.d54553fe2a28b8c1ae757bc8da1cfbe0.png

1 hour ago, www3traveler said:

Another thought would be to have the bed split into two beds.  They are put up against the wall, so you would have a space in the middle to move around.  It makes getting to the bed room easier.

I’m traveling solo and was thinking of asking to have the bed pushed to one side. More moving space and still a big bed to sprawl in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, www3traveler said:

Another thought would be to have the bed split into two beds.  They are put up against the wall, so you would have a space in the middle to move around.  It makes getting to the bed room easier.

I'm traveling with my husband and neither of us sleep well apart. My MIL and Aunt-in-Law's cabin will be set up that way though so it won't be as dicey for them.

This was years ago on the Gem, but I had mine removed! I walked into it on the first night and that was it for me. Ha ha!  The other side of the bed had the pull down bed, so there was only one way around the bed!  It can’t hurt to ask for it to be removed. The worst thing that will happen is they say no!

• Thanks 1

If they don't remove it...you could toss it overboard. You might get tossed overboard too....but ya know. 

For real though, when you meet your steward, just ask. Be prepared for the steward to say no. Maybe you could move the table somewhere not quite so awkward? 

Good luck! I'm used to wandering into all sorts of things at night. I'm just used to it now haha

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, df5250 said:

This was years ago on the Gem, but I had mine removed! I walked into it on the first night and that was it for me. Ha ha!  The other side of the bed had the pull down bed, so there was only one way around the bed!  It can’t hurt to ask for it to be removed. The worst thing that will happen is they say no!

Exactly, worst they can say is "no."

3 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

If they don't remove it...you could toss it overboard. You might get tossed overboard too....but ya know. 

For real though, when you meet your steward, just ask. Be prepared for the steward to say no. Maybe you could move the table somewhere not quite so awkward? 

Good luck! I'm used to wandering into all sorts of things at night. I'm just used to it now haha

That would be a lot of effort. I'll be in an interior cabin on Deck 10. I'd either have to drag that sucker to another deck or I'd have to somehow get access to one of the balcony cabins near by to do that. I'm too lazy for all of that! LOL

But in all seriousness, I'll beg on the first day and keep my fingers crossed that they say yes!

• Like 1

The real issue here is logistics. Easy to think "just take the table, chair, etc that I don't want from the room", but they also have to find time on turnover day to put the item back. And if that isn't bad enough, what are they to do with unwanted items during the cruise? They have to be securely stored somewhere. It isn't like they have "unwanted furniture" rooms around for storage. Space on a ship is at a premium. If even a small percentage of the nearly 1,200 cabins onboard want something stored elsewhere, it can create a huge need for space that likely isn't available.

17 minutes ago, Agent999 said:

The real issue here is logistics. Easy to think "just take the table, chair, etc that I don't want from the room", but they also have to find time on turnover day to put the item back. And if that isn't bad enough, what are they to do with unwanted items during the cruise? They have to be securely stored somewhere. It isn't like they have "unwanted furniture" rooms around for storage. Space on a ship is at a premium. If even a small percentage of the nearly 1,200 cabins onboard want something stored elsewhere, it can create a huge need for space that likely isn't available.

I think the key is ask nicely and if it’s logistically possible it might happen. The choice of this large of a table in the room is a bad design choice so I’m sure this request happens often. 

• Like 1

I liked having the movable table in the room. You can put it at the foot of the bed to put your room service breakfast on. If you are in a balcony you can pull it in front of the couch. I missed having it on Pearl. They put more modern furniture that I do not think you can move.

17 hours ago, Cruising Lynne said:

I liked having the movable table in the room. You can put it at the foot of the bed to put your room service breakfast on. If you are in a balcony you can pull it in front of the couch. I missed having it on Pearl. They put more modern furniture that I do not think you can move.

I wouldn't mind it in a bigger cabin, but we're doing a 12-night med cruise that is port intensive (11 ports). Because we'll be constantly on the move, we went for the interior cabin. I probably wouldn't mind the table in a bigger space, but since you can't get to the bed on either side without having to dodge the fixed and the movable table, I was hoping it could be removed. As everyone has said, I can ask and the worst that could happen is they say no. If they do say no, moving it to the edge of the bed might be a good idea. I'll keep it in mind. Thanks!

• Like 2