Celebrity Galaxy itinerary 1997-1998

This is a very, very long shot.  The Galaxy was my first ship (proud ex-Steiner) and I met my husband (now nearly 23 years married!) onboard.  I'm keen to try to pinpoint some key dates, so if anyone knows how I might find the itinerary from a pretty-much pre-internet era, I'd be so grateful.  I've contacted Celebrity directly but have yet to hear back.

If anyone has kept schedules or daily planners from May/June/July 1998 in particular, that would be most helpful. 

• 4 months later...

I'm sorry I won't be able to help you with the information you are trying to find. But I did want to say that my first ever cruise was on Galaxy and I will forever love that ship. I wouldn't sail on anything else if it was still around (it was sold to a German line and became "My Ship").

Good luck with your search!

Edited by koolZip
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 2/1/2024 at 9:31 AM, koolZip said:

I'm sorry I won't be able to help you with the information you are trying to find. But I did want to say that my first ever cruise was on Galaxy and I will forever love that ship. I wouldn't sail on anything else if it was still around (it was sold to a German line and became "My Ship").

Good luck with your search!

What's a rabbit hole this presents!

Our first cruise was on the Celebrity Century in 2004.  Century was a sister ship to the Galaxy, and we loved that "little" ship, seemingly like you loved the Galaxy.  

In any case, Wikipedia has the history of the Galaxy - now the Marella Explorer - and she STILL sails the seas.  TUI is half(?) owned by RCL, so they basically passed it down from Celebrity to TUI.  There is some direct linkage among RCL, TUI, and Marella, but it's isn't exactly obvious to me how the three are connected, other than RCL mentions them on their website along with Silversea and Celebrity.  

So, while the Galaxy has changed over the decades, it is STILL an option 🙂 and you can check out the TUI UK site to see the Marella Explorer (nee MV Galaxy) and maybe book a cruise on a classic.

On 9/4/2023 at 12:44 AM, flossyfizzdog said:

If anyone has kept schedules or daily planners from May/June/July 1998 in particular, that would be most helpful. 

Part of the rabbit hole was the Wiki references leading to a book on early Celebrity.  It is out of print and I didn't see any easy way to buy a copy, but from the reviews of the book on Amazon and elsewhere, it looks like the author really knows his stuff. Maybe an email to him or a publisher will net a result?

51sNFTOGkrL.jpg

On 4/29/2024 at 2:37 PM, Tom and Ingrid said:

Our first cruise was on the Celebrity Century in 2004.  Century was a sister ship to the Galaxy, and we loved that "little" ship, seemingly like you loved the Galaxy. 

We were in port with the Marella Explorer 2 in Limon in January, which used to be the Celebrity Century.  She still looked beautiful. 

• Like 1

On 4/29/2024 at 11:37 AM, Tom and Ingrid said:

What's a rabbit hole this presents!

In any case, Wikipedia has the history of the Galaxy - now the Marella Explorer - and she STILL sails the seas.  TUI is half(?) owned by RCL, so they basically passed it down from Celebrity to TUI.  There is some direct linkage among RCL, TUI, and Marella, but it's isn't exactly obvious to me how the three are connected, other than RCL mentions them on their website along with Silversea and Celebrity.  

So, while the Galaxy has changed over the decades, it is STILL an option 🙂 and you can check out the TUI UK site to see the Marella Explorer (nee MV Galaxy) and maybe book a cruise on a classic.

Part of the rabbit hole was the Wiki references leading to a book on early Celebrity.  It is out of print and I didn't see any easy way to buy a copy, but from the reviews of the book on Amazon and elsewhere, it looks like the author really knows his stuff. Maybe an email to him or a publisher will net a result?

51sNFTOGkrL.jpg

Try ABE Books.  If it is not currently available you can create a want in there and you will be notified when it is available.  There is also the option of eBay.  I have purchased books from both with fairly good success. Including the above book! I can highly recommend it!

• Like 1