Embarkation at Manhattan Cruise Terminal

7Trainguy1951

Leaving this Sunday on the Escape and would appreciate any information regarding the boarding process. I'm traveling with two people that have some mobility issues. Can someone tell me which deck do you enter the ship? I'm trying to decide whether to request wheelchair access. If the ramps aren't too steep, it won't be a problem? Help! Thanks.

It can be a bit of a hike.  The ramp isn't that steep, but it zig zags maybe 3 or 4 times and there is no real place to stop and rest.  I would suggest asking for a wheelchair assist which may or may not be available.  Normally we make the request in advance through the access desk and it's on our boarding pass.  I'm not sure if it would be available if you just ask at the terminal, but you can give it a try.

Good luck!

• Thanks 1

Your party may be on their feet for a long time in the terminal. You may want to request a wheelchair at the desk to the left of the terminal when you enter. Otherwise, you'll need to stand at security, check-in, then walk along a very long terminal, a very long pier, and a very long ship. If I even thought of someone coming who uses a walker/cane, I'd at least consider the wheelchair for the distances/waiting. But, you know your group better than I, so just some thoughts from a rando on the internet.

Just got off Escape on Sunday.  We embarked and disembarked on deck 7.  I second what @goldmom said above about the ramp being not very steep but zig zaggy. We had an 11:30 am check in and all told took an hour from curb to ship all of which was spent standing in lines.  Also note that the A/C in MCT was not great.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Agree with the others.  If in doubt, request the accommodation.  The person should conserve energy for when they absolutely need to walk (getting on buses, visiting sites, etc.)  I travelled with a friend who uses a cane.  He walked to check-in but then he was done.  He got a wheelchair assist at the terminal before boarding.  It's a lot of walking and, depending on when you get there, you may or may not get a seat.  Add to that, I believe the wheelchairs are boarded first.

Same goes for any ports. The gangway zigzags, regardless of ship, so it's a fair amount of walking just to disembark.

• Thanks 1