Splendor & Canadian Passport

Would like to hear from any Canadians who sailed on Splendor this spring (2006). I understand that photo ID and birth certificate should be all that is required. Anyone have any problems with this?

Looking at booking the April 15th sailing!

:)

Would like to hear from any Canadians who sailed on Splendor this spring (2006). I understand that photo ID and birth certificate should be all that is required. Anyone have any problems with this?

Looking at booking the April 15th sailing!

From what I understand, as of right now (March 2006) you are still OK to use just your birth certificate with photo I.D. However there are changes coming - not sure when - that will require everyone to have a passport. Try googling "passport changes for the US" - you may find something there. Also, the no passport thing may not apply on all islands, I'd check with your TA or RCCL. If possible, get the policy in writing rather than just taking someone's word for it. Otherwise you might find yourself "stuck" on the ship. (hey now there's an idea...."I'd leave captain, but I'm not allowed. Your stuck with me forever on this ship"):D

From what I understand, as of right now (March 2006) you are still OK to use just your birth certificate with photo I.D. However there are changes coming - not sure when - that will require everyone to have a passport. Try googling "passport changes for the US" - you may find something there. Also, the no passport thing may not apply on all islands, I'd check with your TA or RCCL. If possible, get the policy in writing rather than just taking someone's word for it. Otherwise you might find yourself "stuck" on the ship. (hey now there's an idea...."I'd leave captain, but I'm not allowed. Your stuck with me forever on this ship"):D

Sounds like a version of Charlie and the MTA; for you YOUNGSTERS out there it was a cute ditty of a song from the '50s

Our TA called RCCL directly to find out what the requirements for Canadian citizens were. My husband is from Canada. RCCL told her that he would need a passport. He sent all of his paper work in this week. We are going on the Mariner in July. Me as a US citizen only needs to bring my bc and photo id. Evidently the requirements are different for Canadians per the Canadian government.

Sounds like a version of Charlie and the MTA; for you YOUNGSTERS out there it was a cute ditty of a song from the '50s

"OH, he never returned, no, he never returned, and his fate is still un-learned . . ."

Guess I'm not a youngster!

Originally Posted by Treven

"OH, he never returned, no, he never returned, and his fate is still un-learned . . ."

What'd'I say? I have no idea where this is going. Passports/Johny Cash maybe? Help me with this!!

No, I guess not.

He may ride forever 'neath the streets of Boston...

Our TA called RCCL directly to find out what the requirements for Canadian citizens were. My husband is from Canada. RCCL told her that he would need a passport. He sent all of his paper work in this week. We are going on the Mariner in July. Me as a US citizen only needs to bring my bc and photo id. Evidently the requirements are different for Canadians per the Canadian government.

Thanks for the replies! What I'm hearing is that you need a passport in the Caribbean, but photo ID and birth certificate are still O.K. for Mexico until December 2006. I'm in the process of triple checking!

Hee hee . . . . love that song!

Canadians do not need a passport in the Caribbean. That has been stayed until year-end. Because of US Homeland Security rules, we will need them in order to depart or return to the US after the new year, and that means you will need on at that point, since most cruises touch the US at some point.

Here is the information from the Passport Canada website, explaining the change in requirements to be phased in over the next two years. Mexico is O.K. for now with birth certificate & government issued photo ID but ONLY UNTIL DECEMBER 2006. Caribbean destinations should be checked further. Read it VERY carefully and happy sailing amigos!

http://www.pptc.gc.ca/travel_tips/trip_planning_e.asp

Archived