What is the Muster Drill?

books4sail

I have a general idea of what this is and certainly why it's done, but happens exactly? My SO and I are traveling on Carnival very soon, and we're cruising novices.

I'm really just curious--and trying to do something with my anticipation. Is it May yet?

Long story short~~~everyone is assigned a muster station, it will be anounced "time for the muster drill" everyone will put their light jackets on and go to the assigned muster station like a heard of cattle headed for slaughter, you will be packed into a small area, checked to make sure your life jacket is on properly the crew willl do a head count, the captain will anounce a few things and your done.

It's a safety drill. It's meant to teach you: how to put on your lifevest properly; how to recognize the emergency alarm; where your muster station is located; how to proceed to your muster station from your cabin; what to do if the alarm is sounded and you're nowhere near your cabin; etc. There are numerous, designated muster stations around the ship. Each passenger is assigned to a specific muster station.

Some lines refer to it as a lifeboat drill. It is a required procedure by law very similar to fire drills for office buildings and schools. Following the passenger drill, the crew may have some additional drills immediately after or further on into the cruise.

you really must attend this drill --- even experienced cruisers do everytime they sail --- as a first time cruiser this will add to the story telling you will do when you get home---attend but do not be concerned about the drill unless the orchestra is playing nearer my god to thee lol:p

It is mandatory. The room stewards check every room to make sure everyone is out. Only after it's been determined that everyone is at their muster stations, then the captain begins explaining everything and the drill is over.

Some cruise lines have a list of passengers, broken down by muster station. As you appear at your assigned muster station, they check your name off. If you don't show up, you're required to attend a make-up session the next day.

Is it not mandatory?
It is but, as you'll find when a cabin call is done, there are persons who are already missing in action. DCL uses a cabin call, when your at your station, not sure about other lines. Takes about 15-20 minutes. Alot of thoughts will go through your head at this time, I'm sure. And once your on board, just look around for other life preserver locations, in case you can't get back to your cabin in an emergency. Chances of you needing them, same as two planes hitting the twin towers, 20 minutes apart. Get to know your ship. Hope this helps, just food for thought. Metrowon

Archived