Sting Ray City

deb380

Scratches?? Not sure where the scratches came from. I was the first in the water and the last to get out. Stingrays everywhere. They bump and rub against you. They are very smooth and very friendly...I saw no scratches! Not one person was scratched, poked or stung! My wife can barely swim and is intimidated by marine life...She loved it!!

Just GO and enjoy!

I'm with you on this one - didn't see a single person get a scratch from a ray while we were out swimming with them either.

We have been to SRC 2 x and have never seen anyone with any scratches.

To me, the rays feel like a wonderful satin comforter. Their skin is so tender, that if you accidentally drag a fingernail over it, it will leave a mark.

We got to kiss a ray for 7 years good luck, and even got a Stingray Massage the last time!

About the vests: I bet they have one for everyone that wants one. The excursions through the ship are usually required that all passengers wear them. I bet there are regulations that they have them onboard for all their passengers.

Here is a link to our pictures:http://community.webshots.com/album/530801710NJTzFf

Do you wear a life jacket when in the water for this excursion? I am not worried about me, but my daughter is only 5 so I am not sure she will be able to touch. Thanks!

You could on our excursion. My grandma wore one at the sandbar because, even though it was shallow and you could stand, she can't swim. My mom and I didn't there but did when we got to a deeper place where we snorkeled. They had both kid and adult size life jackets. Your daughter probably wouldn't be the only one wearing a life jacket and the waves were a little strong so it help her stay up.

Scratches?? Not sure where the scratches came from. I was the first in the water and the last to get out. Stingrays everywhere. They bump and rub against you. They are very smooth and very friendly...I saw no scratches! Not one person was scratched, poked or stung! My wife can barely swim and is intimidated by marine life...She loved it!!

Just GO and enjoy!

If you shave your legs in the a.m. and then are in the ocean a few hours later, yowzzzaaaaa!! You never know about all the little cuts you get until the salt water gets into them and then they show up on your legs. Ask me how I know! :eek: Maybe the scratches were from that, and not really the stingrays???

how many other people had someone injured by the rays in their party? oh MAN. :eek: What are the chances of this happening? The last thing I need on my vacation is to be rushed to a hospital in Grand Cayman (or the ship) and need STITCHES. :( And yes, I am a wuss. Needles and I do NOT get along.

I have never heard of a passenger getting injured. Don't stress! You will be fine!

Those people complaining about their legs were women who had just shaved their legs, and the saltwater hurt them.

You will be fine! 100's of people visit the sandbar every day. The rays LOVE to have us out there feeding them.

Go and enjoy!

Stingray City is a MUST DO when on Grand Cayman. It is an amazing experience. Our 2 childre (7 &9) were a little hesitant to jump in with the rays but after a minute or two, they were fascinated and loved it! I've done this 5 times and will do it again any chance I get! It is very safe if you follow your guides directions! We booked this on our own when we got off the ship in GC. I did a little homework on these boards before we left home and I was very happy with all our trips to GC> Do a combo tour with the Great Barrier Reef Snorkeling and you will love that also. (Even if you don't snorkle you can stay on the boat and enjoy some beautiful sights!:) :) :)

Archived