Local Bus-St. Thomas & Nassau???

Bonnie J.

Just booked cruise going there, leaving Sat. Loved taking the local bus in St. Maartin! Is there a local bus in St. Thomas? Where do we find it? Also in Nassau? Any place there for snorkling we can easily get to? We've gotten to the point we usually just stay on the ship in Nassau but would like to find a good beach but not necessarily on Paradise Island. The hotel near the harbor charges to sit on the beach now! Appreciate suggestions - thanks and,........Keep Smiling...................

Is there a local bus in St. Thomas? Where do we find it?

According to http://www.frommers.com/destinations/stthomasusvi/0097020015.html

Buses, called Vitrans, leave from street-side stops in the center of Charlotte Amalie, fanning out east and west along all of the most important highways. They run between 5:30am and 8pm daily, but waits can be very long and this is a difficult way to get about. A ride within Charlotte Amalie is 75¢; a ride to anywhere else is $1. For schedule and bus-stop information, call tel. 340/774-5678.

In Nassau:

A public bus transportation system operates between both Port Lucaya Marketplace and the International Bazaar to the downtown area, and from downtown to the outlying areas of West End and East End. The one-way fare is $1.00 within the Freeport/Lucaya area; $1.50 to Eight Mile Rock; $4.00 to West End; $8.00 to McLean's Town. Exact change is required. (http://www.grand-bahama.com/transportation.htm)

I don't think it is a long wait or difficult at all. I think this is a ploy to get tourists to stay with tour guides and the other taxis (expensive ones).

It cost us $2. each to go from the pier to Red Hook. NO waits, no crowding. SIMPLE :)

We boarded at BlockBuster (close to the pier) and paid the driver as we got off, (not when you get on.)

Parody posted information regarding VITRAN busses - your post refers to what we call $1 safaris. Two different modes of transportation.

VITRAN busses run about every two hours. Trust me on this, I take it several times a week.

The $1 safari is only $1 if your ride is from KMart to the University (within town). If you go further, the ride is $2. The stop really isn't in front of Blockbuster - it's on the worn patch in the grass across the street from Pueblo (grocery store). It will take you within walking distance of Coki and Sapphire, and will take you to the St John ferry dock. These run frequently, but not recommended if you have a large group that wants to stay together.

The ride to either Coki or Sapphire shouldn't take longer than 30 minutes.

• 7 years later...
Parody posted information regarding VITRAN busses - your post refers to what we call $1 safaris. Two different modes of transportation.

VITRAN busses run about every two hours. Trust me on this, I take it several times a week.

The $1 safari is only $1 if your ride is from KMart to the University (within town). If you go further, the ride is $2. The stop really isn't in front of Blockbuster - it's on the worn patch in the grass across the street from Pueblo (grocery store). It will take you within walking distance of Coki and Sapphire, and will take you to the St John ferry dock. These run frequently, but not recommended if you have a large group that wants to stay together.

The ride to either Coki or Sapphire shouldn't take longer than 30 minutes.

Is there a "bus stop/taxi pickup" close to the Havensight pier? we want to go to Sapphire beach, using local transportation, but we cannot find info on where to get on the taxi.

thanks