Solo cruiser in Grand Cayman

lyttleone1977

I will be cruising the first week of August on the Imagination, and will be visiting Grand Cayman. Being a first time cruiser (and going solo) I am trying to figure out if I should just book my excursion through Carnival or through the excursion company itself. My concerns are 1) doing it as a solo, 2) if the port gets canceled, do I lose my money, 3) and the chance the tour would be canceled if there are not enough people. I know it will cost more, I am leaning towards the booking towards booking through Carnival... Need advice.:D

1) doing it as a solo
You would have the benefit of doing the excursion with others from your ship, and possibly knowing one of them. Depending on the excursion, you might be with a lot of your fellow cruisers. I personally don't think going solo on an excursion is a big deal. Even though I cruise with my wife and kids, I often go on dive trips solo as none of them other family members dive. I always make my own arrangements.

2) if the port gets canceled, do I lose my money
Most operators won't keep your deposit if the ship doesn't stop at GCM. I wouldn't go with an operator that didn't have this policy.

3) and the chance the tour would be canceled if there are not enough people.
That is a possibility with the ships excursions.

In the end, it will matter a good deal what kind of excursion you are planning on taking. For the most part, I'd skip the ship's more expensive excursions, unless you are really concerned about the ship leaving without you or if you do make a friend on the ship and want to do something together.

Hi! I been to the Caymans twice (2004 & 2005) as a solo cruiser. Both times, I went on shore and pick up a tour then. The prices are very reasonable, there are fewer people on the boat (on the ship tour, it was a very large boat with alot of people), and the tour operators will ask prior to leaving the pier what time your boat is due to sail.

I suggest Nativeways, they have people in the pier area. You will enjoy yourself.

I highly recommend Captain Bryan's Stingray tour. Its just a short walk from the tender to his location, which is right next to an excellent bakery. We used them last november and we're using them next month. Great boats, not too many people so that its overly crowded (like the ships tour). They dropped us off back in town after the tour. We had a wonderful time. You can also do your own thing in GC, unlike other ports. There's plenty of shopping and dining. We were in Cayman last November and someone else on our cruise got off the ship and did a little snorkeling somewhere near the tender drop off.

Have a great trip!

Archived