Solo Traveler on a Cunard World Cruise

SaltyMan

I am contemplating booking the Queen Anne for their 2025 World Cruise (3+ months)  My wife cannot come, and I'm a little concerned about being solo that long. Can anyone give insight how Cunard looks out for solo travelers for dinners and excursions? Do you get to know the same crowd at the dinner tables, or are you constantly meeting new people? 

Are there special arrangements for solo travelers on the excursions, or do you simply join other Cunard guests?

Thanks!

Welcome to Cruise Critic and welcome to the Cunard board.

I am a solo traveller but I've not done anything longer than 16 days on one voyage. I think it's mainly about mindset. There are get-togethers for single travellers, and many of the activities are not specific for couples, whether it's dance lessons, the Insights lectures, bridge classes and what-not.

For dining you have a decision to make - do you have a fixed table, and thus meet the same guests every night, or go for Open Dining? If you go for the latter then typically you will end up on a table for 2 but with another table or two nearby and you may end up chatting with them, or perhaps exchanging just a few sentences, or perhaps have no dialogue at all. So on Open dining you will probably meeting a bit of a cross section, different story every night, and on Fixed you will probably get to know some people better over time. On World Cruises then usually a big chunk of passengers change over at sections of the cruise.

I don't think there's a perfect answer, and to be honest I don't think it's much about Cunard, it's more about your mindset and how you want to run things. If you want to keep your distance, that's fine, if you want to be life/soul of the party then that's another option. Typically things like ballroom dancing are a good way to do it on your own terms - so that may be something to do some lessons in before going if it's of interest. Another example are the quiz teams - you may find yourself linking up with some people regularly just to do that, once a day, then going separate ways afterwards.

Excursions are quite a mix of things, some very active, some basically sitting in a bus. I don't think being a couple or single makes much difference. It's also very common for some couples where one member does some excursions while the other partner stays on board or just has a walk around the town. That flexibility in approach works in those couples where one is more outgoing, and the other prefers a quieter time. So the fact you are single doesn't really register in my view.

I think it's best not to overthink this, you can go with the flow, and do it your way.

Edited by Pushpit
  • Like 1

Hi,

I am booked on the Queen Anne's 2025 Maiden World Voyage (98 days from New York to Southampton followed by 8 days on QM2 from Southampton to New York) as a solo passenger. This will be my first very long cruise, but I have taken many cruises solo. In my experience, Cunard is an excellent choice for solo travelers. There are many opportunities to meet people (afternoon tea, dinner, shore excursions, etc.). I recently cruised solo aboard the Queen Elizabeth and had a wonderful time. 

It seems that QA has no solo cabins while the other three Cunard ships do. Are you dead set on QA?  The solo cabins with the huge portholes seem very nice on QM2.
Note: All the solo cabins get sold out very quickly though. 

I have done a 18, 28 and 30 day voyages on Cunard as a solo. Have had a wonderful time. I do a large table, you get to know the other people and almost everyone does different things so there is always things to talk about. Have met a reporter who retired from the BBC, a actress who did tv and films and her stage actor husband. Great stories all. 

Dont worry about the tours unless they are for couples you will have fun. And knowing your table mates can have its advantages, In Lisbon I did a tour, then was walking around the town looking to get on the cable car, seen a couple of my table mates who had all day tickets for it, and they got them from another couple who used it earlier. And they gave me them as they were done. 

Have had lots of fun.

And the not talked about thing is you can do what ever you want when you want. But it is always what you do and feel.

26 minutes ago, NE John said:

It seems that QA has no solo cabins while the other three Cunard ships do. Are you dead set on QA?  The solo cabins with the huge portholes seem very nice on QM2.

The only other world voyage / grand voyage in 2025 is on QV to SA . All the single cabins were sold very quickly. QM2 is not doing a world in 2025 nor is QE. 

11 hours ago, NE John said:

The presence or otherwise of solo cabins doesn't make much difference - they are priced at more-or-less the same as cabins intended for 2 people, given Cunard's usual 175% charging ratio. It is quite common for solo passengers to find that you have to pay extra for a solo cabin.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Pushpit said:

The presence or otherwise of solo cabins doesn't make much difference - they are priced at more-or-less the same as cabins intended for 2 people, given Cunard's usual 175% charging ratio. It is quite common for solo passengers to find that you have to pay extra for a solo cabin.

The problem with their pricing is that they are midship and ocean view ( except one ) so as you say can become more expensive than a forward or aft inside because of their favourable position 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Winifred 22 said:

Hi

Hi it’s 2012 on QV and QE. Just an odd one inside  in the middle of the run of ocean views. They are all ocean views on QM2 

Thank you so much, I should have said , yes its QM2. I have always had a sheltered balcony (and company)  on my previous holidays on QM2 so this will be a first for me. From what I have seen these cabins look wonderful.

5 minutes ago, VIRGINCRUISER1066 said:

Thank you so much, I should have said , yes its QM2. I have always had a sheltered balcony (and company)  on my previous holidays on QM2 so this will be a first for me. From what I have seen these cabins look wonderful.

Yes I think they do look good. I have one booked for QV just before Christmas and then next year on QM and again QV. Did you book Cunard Fare ? 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Winifred 22 said:

Yes I think they do look good. I have one booked for QV just before Christmas and then next year on QM and again QV. Did you book Cunard Fare ? 

16 minutes ago, Winifred 22 said:

Did you book Cunard Fare ?

Just checked, yes I did. I booked it last December (22) but not going till Nov 24, it still seems such a long way off though. Would have loved to have another SB, toyed with the idea of an Inside but for the length of time onboard was a bit worried. Lucky you for your 3 upcoming trips, I'm jealous lol. As I live in the North  (just south of Scotland) it takes a good 8 hours coach trip each way to S'hampton so that's why I go for longer with a couple of years in-between trips.

Oh yes you are a long way away.  I only live less than 40 mins away from Southampton so can do short trips easily and have access to parking. Why I asked is because when I was onboard recently I booked up next years. I originally was booking saver fares as I thought as there are only a few to chose from , It doesn’t matter which one I get and will be cheaper. The loyalty sales lady pointed out that the way Cunard pricing works an ‘upgrade’ from a K grade solo ocean view would be an ‘I’ grade inside . If I had booked guarantee cabin there was a chance I would just be given inside single and not even in a good position. I swiftly changed to Cunard fare and chose the insides  I wanted. So if you book again make sure you opt for Cunard Fare.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Winifred 22 said:

So if you book again make sure you opt for Cunard Fare.  

Yes, I have always booked the Cunard Fare and chosen my cabin. I read your post earlier about the upgrade from KC to an Inside. Thank you for all your posts and advice about travelling Solo. I am an avid reader of this forum. Kindest regards Jennie

• Like 1

On 9/26/2023 at 2:54 PM, SaltyMan said:

I am contemplating booking the Queen Anne for their 2025 World Cruise (3+ months)  My wife cannot come, and I'm a little concerned about being solo that long. Can anyone give insight how Cunard looks out for solo travelers for dinners and excursions? Do you get to know the same crowd at the dinner tables, or are you constantly meeting new people? 

Are there special arrangements for solo travelers on the excursions, or do you simply join other Cunard guests?

Thanks!

I did a full world cruise on the QE2 (The last one) as a solo male cruiser. Cunard placed me first night at a table of three people and after the first dinner all three asked for a different table. From that point on, the table 8 people was excellent.  Most all were other single folks male and female.There are solo meet and greet every day in the morning but generally they are poorly attendedand boring beyond boring. As to excursions, generally I went with folks I met on board orsimply did walk abouts by myself. Relax, book the cruiseand enjoy. It will be wonderful. Additionally,we had one of the best roll calls in the history of roll calls. It lasted for three years after the cruise until CC took it down and many of the roll call folks still are in touch.2008 final world cruise of the QE2 We did a pre-cruise meet for lunch at Saks Fifth Ave and several went on to the opera. 

• Like 3