Getaway Oct 22-Nov 19 Too long or never enough? Transatlantic and Southern Caribbean

CruisnHallelujahs

28 days! Thoroughly enjoy reading and lurking through your live reviews so will try to  contribute back.  Apologize in advance for not being nearly as entertaining. 

Had originally planned just nov 4 Caribbean but after booking checked where it was headed before and after since we always wish we could stay longer.  Have always wanted to cross the ocean so was thrilled to find it was a Transatlantic before our cruise so booked it.  (Then scrambled to renew passport which was just short of the six month expire) Will fly into London a week early to visit friends and family.  Our longest cruise so far was 15 days on Joy in February and that wasn’t enough. 

We’ve sailed the “suite life” 50% of our cruises.  Was hoping to keep it that way booking the lowest cabin we’d be happy in, wait till final payment and then upgrade to haven for second leg.  Well you snooze you lose.  Haven prices didn’t fall and then suddenly they were sold out.   Have not sailed out of Manhattan before…the price must not have been shocking to the locals there. Lol. 

So far all else has gone well.  Booked dining 125 days out and entertainment for first leg at 26 days.  Happy not having to run around booking everything immediately upon embarkation.  

Obviously can’t wait for this journey to begin…so decided to start writing about it in anticipation. 

• Like 6

47 minutes ago, PatJim said:

Good for you.  21 days would be heaven!  Wish we had thought of that.

We’ll  be joining you from NYC on November 4th.  Jim has had some recent medical issues, so 🤞we won’t have to cancel.

We will look forward to meeting you at the meet and greet if you are attending.  Will say a prayer that Jim’s medical issues subside and you are both able to fully enjoy this cruise. 

• 2 weeks later...

Left last night for Heathrow.  Felt like the longest wait ever and then so quickly here.  DS drove us to PHL airport.  Biden being in town, roads were closed, so had to back road it most of the way there.  Had booked the exit row, extra legroom, window seat.  Not worth paying extra for since the seat does not recline but I did manage to sleep some.  Luggage was waiting when we arrived at baggage and quickly out to find shuttle for car rental.  We got the short bus packed full.  I stood.   Picked up car and were happily on our way for a mile or two and then main road was closed.  That was unfortunate…no easy run around and map me was lost.  After driving well off course we finally arrived at our favorite time waster spot before our room would be ready.

This one is for NCL’s SIX fans…Hever castle, childhood home of Anne Boleyn.  Later gifted by Henry VIII to fourth wife, Anne of Cleves, as an annulment gift.   He supposedly didn’t think she was attractive enough to be his wife. 

IMG_6590.jpeg

IMG_6577.jpeg

IMG_6578.jpeg

IMG_6584.jpeg

IMG_6581.jpeg

IMG_6589.jpeg

• Like 6

Left Hever castle for our weeklong stay in Deal. My eyes were rolling to the back of my head…just wanted to sleep.  Don’t know how DH could focus and readjust (born and raised here)to his English driving but we did arrive safely.  Passed many serious bike riders.  I think they are putting their lives on the line in Philly suburbs but this is next level. 

Deal in Kent, before the shutdown, was one of the top small towns in England.  So many original shops have closed but on our brief walk in town we noticed a couple of new businesses since last years visit. Hopefully that trend will continue.  Our regular room was disappointingly not available so DH lugged the suitcases up two flights of stairs.  Our view of the English Channel is almost as good as from our favorite room. 

IMG_6591.jpeg

• Like 5

DH was thrilled to be having his proper English breakfast again. Which is why we book this hotel.  The view for me, breakfast for him.  Being vegetarian, well, I’ll just wait for lunch.  

Haven’t noticed Dover being a port for NCL.  There is much to see in Kent and much more relaxing than London,  especially while recovering from jet lag.   Thankful to have a few extra days to recover before boarding so we are ready to enjoy every moment on the ship. 

Took a stroll down Deal pier.  Sunday morning seems to be the perfect time for beer and fishing.   We stopped at the cafe at the far end for lattes.  Wonderful to see it hopping with customers.

IMG_6596.jpeg

IMG_6598.jpeg

IMG_6597.jpeg

IMG_6595.jpeg

• Like 5

17 hours ago, Cardex said:

I look forward to reading about your transatlantic voyage.

I will also be joining the Getaway in NYC on the 4th. Hope to meet you at the M&G.

17 hours ago, Cardex said:

I look forward to reading about your transatlantic voyage.

I will also be joining the Getaway in NYC on the 4th. Hope to meet you at the M&G.

Look forward to meeting you as well!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

What a great start! I hope the internet allows you to keep posting once you're onboard. We're starting up a Transatlantic on Pr1ma, from Barcelona to NYC next month. Enjoy your time onboard Getaway. She's a fabulous ship!

Thank you!  Recent reviews say the Wi-Fi is good on getaway so here’s hoping!  I’ve enjoyed your comments on many posts and are the reason we feel good about getaway.   Enjoy your Prima Transatlantic.  Looking forward to reading all about it. ❤️

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, CruisnHallelujahs said:

Thank you!  Recent reviews say the Wi-Fi is good on getaway so here’s hoping!  I’ve enjoyed your comments on many posts and are the reason we feel good about getaway.   Enjoy your Prima Transatlantic.  Looking forward to reading all about it. ❤️

We always had decent Wifi on Getaway. Joy...not so much. The internet lords approving, I'll be sharing a live on Pr1ma! And, thank you for your kind words. 

• Like 2

Windy day on the English Channel.   Went for the more protected walk on top of the white cliffs between St Margaret’s bay and Dover docks.   Pill boxes still under cover from WW2.  Grampa G was stationed in France.  When war ended they boarded a ship to England. Told us when they saw the white cliffs of Dover they were all in tears knowing they were finally safe.   

IMG_6671.jpeg

IMG_6668.jpeg

IMG_6666.jpeg

IMG_6670.jpeg

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Red-Sol said:

Following until we join you on the November 4th leg! I really like to stay off the Internet while cruising...but I will catch up on all when we return!

Will try my best to keep adding info.  Hope to meet up.  I’m originally from Buffalo. Good to have other western New Yorkers aboard. Go Bills! 

• Like 3

Met relatives at Zetland Arms pub in Kingsdown on the beach.  Beach huts aren’t quite the luxury of ncl private island cabanas.  The church you see behind the pub has a cemetery overlooking the sea where a few generations of Dh’s family lie.   (Too morbid?) We walked the coastal path back to deal. This leg passes Walmer and Deal castles.  The Queen Mother used to stay at Walmer castle each summer.  You knew she was in residence when they flew her flag.  King Henry VIII was responsible for the construction of both castles. 

IMG_6676.jpeg

IMG_6680.jpeg

IMG_6682.jpeg

IMG_6685.jpeg

IMG_6690.jpeg

IMG_6601.jpeg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, CruisnHallelujahs said:

Will try my best to keep adding info.  Hope to meet up.  I’m originally from Buffalo. Good to have other western New Yorkers aboard. Go Bills! 

Pancho Says Go Bills! 🙂
panchobilla.thumb.jpg.0008421f3d2cf10d20f2fb6372155d8b.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Red-Sol said:

Pancho Says Go Bills! 🙂
panchobilla.thumb.jpg.0008421f3d2cf10d20f2fb6372155d8b.jpg

Had to look it up, haven’t been a super fan for a bit.  Nice that he got some recognition. https://www.nfl.com/news/bills-superfan-pancho-billa-dies-after-cancer-fight-0ap3000001030764

Edited by CruisnHallelujahs
Grammar
  • Like 1